• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OneDreweBroughton

Youth Team
As an avid reader and occasional poster on Shrimperzone I feel must apologise.

In common with many other fans comments, my comments such as "I can't believe we've managed to sign Peter Clarke, this is a real coup" and "Prior is f***ing useless and must be dropped for Clarke immediately" and "Clarke is our best defender, just you wait and see once he makes his debut" may have led you to believe that the siging of Peter Clarke was some sort of tactical masterstroke. As he has now had one bad game (which I could watch because it was on telly) and according to a mate of mine had a couple of iffy moments the other week and a Sodje led defence only let in two against mighty Brighton, I now realise that he isn't the answer and that we wasted £300,000 on a centre-half who can't head or kick a ball. I now realise that Tilly isn't a managerial genius for whom everything turns to gold.

I may have also misled when claiming that "signing Matt Harrold was a complete waste of time as he is rubbish and most probably the new Graeme Jones/Billy Paynter/Michael Ricketts/Stan Collymore" and "Tilly hasn't made any mistakes in the transfer yet, but signing Harrold is definitely one". Following Harrold winning a couple of flick-ons and even scoring a goal, I now realise that he is the second coming of Brett Angell/Ian Benjamin/Stan Collymore/Michael Ricketts/Keith Jones and the targetman we have been requiring for years. I now realise that Tilly is a managerial genius for whom everything turns to gold.

Further, I apologise yet again for suggesting that Billy Paynter was a good signing. Following his failure to score because his goal today was ruled offside because Freddy was in an offside position and he headed a difficult chance against the bar he has now gone 92 minutes since his last goal and I won't accept feeble excuses like he couldn't score because he had been subbed. its clear that we won't win anything until Paynter has been dropped and Ricketts is allowed to play rather than being wasted on the bench.

I apologise for any confusion caused and promise that I'll be doing my best to get behind the boys in our next game, well maybe our next home game as Derby is quite a long way to go, at least until we fail to go one up inside the first 5 minutes and I decide on who to pick as the next boo-boy.

Yours apologetically, One Drewe Broughton.

Whilst I think you have a point about overreacting, I personally feel that some of Clarke's mistakes are indicative of problems that aren't related to settling in a new team, such as basic misjudgement of flight. In contrast, I think Paynter just hasn't learnt to play with Easwtood.

You're right about the reaction to Harrold but he after being scored and having been extremely effective twice off the bench, You would have to concede that he has a fair stake for a startgin place.

How about this: Tilly has taken us from the relegation haunted in League Two to the Championship in two and a half seasons winning the most prestigious trophy in the club's history along the way and taking us to our first ever playoff and cup finals. This is why he is a managerial genius.

We all know from the story of King Midas that being able to turn everything you touch in to gold turns out to lead to unhappiness. I supppse we're lucky that everything he's touched hasn't turned to gold.

Great stuff as always ODB!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneDreweBroughton @ Sep. 24 2006,23:59)]Billy Paynter ....................has now gone 92 minutes since his last goal
It was an own goal! Accept it & move on.
biggrin.gif

Tilly is a genius no doubt but comments such as " Truthfully we never looked like scoring. I know it's going to be tough but if we finish fourth from bottom I'll be happy" are very negative in my opinion......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bigbo @ Sep. 25 2006,16:23)]Tilly is a genius no doubt but comments such as " Truthfully we never looked like scoring. I know it's going to be tough but if we finish fourth from bottom I'll be happy" are very negative in my opinion......
agreed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Sep. 25 2006,16:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (bigbo @ Sep. 25 2006,16:23)]Tilly is a genius no doubt but comments such as " Truthfully we never looked like scoring. I know it's going to be tough but if we finish fourth from bottom I'll be happy" are very negative in my opinion......
agreed
Good point. If we had looked to finish fourth from bottom last season we'd never have finished top.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneDreweBroughton @ Sep. 25 2006,21:15)]
[b said:
[b said:
agreed
Good point. If we had looked to finish fourth from bottom last season we'd never have finished top.
don't agree with me..

[b said:
[b said:
agreed
I agree on that too!

Way too negative for my liking!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Sep. 25 2006,23:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneDreweBroughton @ Sep. 25 2006,21:15)]
[b said:
[b said:
agreed
don't agree with me..
Are you saying you don't agree with your own opinions*?

Or are you saying that I'm not allowed to agree with you?

* I say opinions, but you would probably describe them as facts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 25 2006,00:25)]Whilst I think you have a point about overreacting, I personally feel that some of Clarke's mistakes are indicative of problems that aren't related to settling in a new team, such as basic misjudgement of flight. In contrast, I think Paynter just hasn't learnt to play with Easwtood.

You're right about the reaction to Harrold but he after being scored and having been extremely effective twice off the bench, You would have to concede that he has a fair stake for a startgin place.

How about this: Tilly has taken us from the relegation haunted in League Two to the Championship in two and a half seasons winning the most prestigious trophy in the club's history along the way and taking us to our first ever playoff and cup finals. This is why he is a managerial genius.

We all know from the story of King Midas that being able to turn everything you touch in to gold turns out to lead to unhappiness. I supppse we're lucky that everything he's touched hasn't turned to gold.
I agree about Paynter not yet learnt how to adapt to the (one off player style) of freddy eastwood. When they do I think they could become a very effective partnership.

I think Clarke IS quality, but he has shown he is definately still learning, whereas Sodje is quality and the finished article.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote (OneDreweBroughton @ Sep. 24 2006,23:59)
Billy Paynter ....................has now gone 92 minutes since his last goal

It was an own goal! Accept it & move on.

Lol
laugh.gif

But to be fair its probably only about 65 minutes since he last hit the bar

Back