• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So we must have got promoted under Sturrock...... Or am I getting confused.

What's your point?

I was replying to KH about dull football, not promotion. Try and make a point that is actually valid to the conversation, not throwing in comments to fit your own agenda

"Assassination"????
So, you believe that PB made the decision to axe Paul Sturrock (who IMO is a very lovely man but offered the dullest football I have ever seen at Roots Hall) ? You don't think that Ron and the board of directors sacked Paul Sturrock and approached PB?
How odd. Phil Brown, out of work, yet able to sack Paul Sturrock. Incredible.

My implication was that PB was lined up while Sturrock was in charge, and many will put some blame on him, l don't BTW

You can't be going to games now then. Side to side, slow build up play, on a defensive set up. You don't get duller than that

You say Sturrock's football was dull but in actual fact, hitting the target man who then played the ball out to the wings was a far better attacking set up than PB could ever think of doing. We don't even play with 2 wingers now, which is lucky really as the ball never goes that wide anyway

Of course PB was already approached and accepted the job before Sturrock was axed. Tells you the sort of man he is. He wasn't out of work for 18 months for no reason

I agree with all of that other than the final two sentences.

FWIW Sturrock was approached and accepted the job before Tilly was axed as well.

What's your point?

I was replying to KH about dull football, not promotion. Try and make a point that is actually valid to the conversation, not throwing in comments to fit your own agenda

My point is that I don't find Sturrocks football entertaining. Neither did anyone at Yeovil when they were bottom of L2. I would much rather win games and end up in L1. I have seen much better football this season home and away from both sides.

By the way what is it with the two wingers myth

My point is that I don't find Sturrocks football entertaining. Neither did anyone at Yeovil when they were bottom of L2. I would much rather win games and end up in L1. I have seen much better football this season home and away from both sides.

Then that's fine. I take it you enjoy ball passed around the back, up to CM, back to defence...repeat, repeat, repeat. I don't know if it's because we have no idea going forward or it's what PB instructs, but you can't deny that's what happens week in, week out. Teams have us sussed, they know that's the only way we play. If we get excited, go forward and get a goal, we immediately go into our shell, invite the opposition on and then concede. PB hasn't got a plan B. Never has and never will.

The last couple of months have been shocking, devoid of any clue gong forward or defending, 12 points out of 48 and 13 points off relegation are testament to that. We could easily be in Colchester's position at the end of next season

Then that's fine. I take it you enjoy ball passed around the back, up to CM, back to defence...repeat, repeat, repeat. I don't know if it's because we have no idea going forward or it's what PB instructs, but you can't deny that's what happens week in, week out. Teams have us sussed, they know that's the only way we play. If we get excited, go forward and get a goal, we immediately go into our shell, invite the opposition on and then concede. PB hasn't got a plan B. Never has and never will.

The last couple of months have been shocking, devoid of any clue gong forward or defending, 12 points out of 48 and 13 points off relegation are testament to that. We could easily be in Colchester's position at the end of next season

Only if we defend like Colchester. If we defend like Burton, with just one forward, then we will win promotion. We have scored the same amount as Burton, so there's your prove

You always cheer me up no end when you post Webby:winking:

Only if we defend like Colchester. If we defend like Burton, with just one forward, then we will win promotion. We have scored the same amount as Burton, so there's your prove

We have defended like Colchester the last couple of months and we haven't scored goals.

Burton may only play with one forward but they play attacking football and defend well. We haven't done either of those the last couple of months. Burton are a good side who play attacking football as a team and defend as a team. We don't do either of those things

Of course PB was already approached and accepted the job before Sturrock was axed. Tells you the sort of man he is. He wasn't out of work for 18 months for no reason

So was Sturrock when Tilson was replaced so the same applies if that's how it is. That's not a dig at Sturrock, more at Ron.

Only posting facts. People can choose to accept them or have their heads in the clouds

Selective facts unfortunately Phil.

Second half of this season has been little short of dismal.
First half of this season was beyond most of our expectations.

Phil's brand of football doesn't score enough goals.
Phil's brand of football got us promoted.

We were lucky to score that last minute goal in the playoffs.
We were a single winning goal short of going up in the autos.

Phil has massive ego and media presence that distracts him from his duties.
Phil has massive ego and media presence that raises SUFC's marketability.

Phil will be gone the moment he brings us success.
Phil will be gone the moment he brings us success.

Spot on davewebbsbrain, PB has done what we wanted in getting us out of L2. He now needs to change things or he will set us up for a fall into the basement again

Paul Sturrock got sacked because he failed to bring success. The fact that he bored me rigid while still not achieving promotion - means I was delighted to see him go.
The nonsense idea that a sacked manager will confuse the team and everybody, by leading the club, that sacked him, out at Wembley was quite simply the most incredibly bad idea. That was down to Ron - but Paul Sturrock should have had the pride and the sense to say "nice offer Ron - but it sounds mental. You sacked me and the club has a new manager". But he didn't.!!!

Back