• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tom Hopper sold

Is it a coincidence that Ron forks out 140k to pay wages from his own pocket and then sells off our best player for a similar sum?

We are doomed!!!

This has shades of Ryan Leonard all over it.

We are not in the driving seat. Unfortunately we probably agreed to the clause without ever believing we could be a league 2 club......again!!!

That's a fair offer for someone who would have been available on a free come June.
I know many people say relegation is a forgone conclusion (including me), but I still cling to some hope after Saturday, but if there was a chance and Ron said it himself selling Hopper totally condemns us to L2, but how much will relegation cost compared to 150k ?

I admire your optimism, I really do.
....and you are just rolling over for Ron
But.... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Im more shocked people are surprised. In my eyes, get rid of as many as possibly]e. Don't understand the outpouring of "oh he was great" when players leave at the moment.

now I will make exception for hopper who I like he's one of the squad that always seems to try his best - and he's decent. I don't begrudge him a move or us cashing in now - makes sense.

but I say the more the merrier. Look at the league table and the last 3-4 years. We are absolute garbage for whatever reason - we need to rebuild. It will be in league 2 so does it really matter what happens in next 4 months? Get the kids blooded for next year, get the wage bill cut, get whatever cash we can and go again in August.

And join Torquay!

Unfortunately I believe Hopper is not the only player with a relegation release clauses in their contracts, :Sorry::Unsure:

Unfortunately I believe Hopper is not the only player with a relegation release clauses in their contracts, :Sorry::Unsure:

As CP alluded to on Twitter, I’d be surprised if we have many left at all, come the summertime.

And frankly, that’s not a bad thing

I know many people say relegation is a forgone conclusion (including me), but I still cling to some hope after Saturday, but if there was a chance and Ron said it himself selling Hopper totally condemns us to L2, but how much will relegation cost compared to 150k ?

You're right but unfortunately it's a case that relegation survival is a very long shot.

The club is losing money and will lose more when we play league 2. We need to shed some wages and cox, hopper and theo probably cost the club 400k per year in wages. That isn't sustainable in league 2.

Chuck a few others like Humphreys and Kiernan and Milligan and it's another 400k+.

Losing 800k off of the wage bill leads to financial survival.

Unless its a trick question i make it the exact same plus £150,000 more if we don't sell now.

You're right but unfortunately it's a case that relegation survival is a very long shot.

The club is losing money and will lose more when we play league 2. We need to shed some wages and cox, hopper and theo probably cost the club 400k per year in wages. That isn't sustainable in league 2.

Chuck a few others like Humphreys and Kiernan and Milligan and it's another 400k+.

Losing 800k off of the wage bill leads to financial survival.

I’d say it’s probably more than that tbh.

Don’t forget Oxley, McL, Demi. All of which will probably depart aswell.

Elvis & Kelman are two of our saleable assets, so even though their wages will be relatively low, they’ll bring in a few quid, which might go some way towards a rebuild (maybe?)

Mantom won’t fancy Lg2, and IIRC, has a relegation clause also.

Hyam will finally be ****ed off, which is the silver lining.

Unless its a trick question i make it the exact same plus £150,000 more if we don't sell now.
I know, I’ve temporarily got my rose-tinted spectacles on after Saturday, but in reality we are down, Hopper or no Hopper.

What cuts is that it has to be Lincoln, with cup money they probably earnt from their days with their West Ham supporting ex-manager.

I’d say it’s probably more than that tbh.

Don’t forget Oxley, McL, Demi. All of which will probably depart aswell.

Elvis & Kelman are two of our saleable assets, so even though their wages will be relatively low, they’ll bring in a few quid, which might go some way towards a rebuild (maybe?)

Mantom won’t fancy Lg2, and IIRC, has a relegation clause also.

Hyam will finally be ****ed off, which is the silver lining.
If there are 2 players I would keep over all others it’s Elvis and Charlie. Elvis for his effort and Charlie for his incredible potential

Most of the rest can jog on really

Clubs in our league position have always had their more, ahem, talented players picked off. And if the suggested clause in his contract that he'll walk when we go down then it makes sense to accept the £150,000... there is no way Ron was going to see that amount of money just disappear for anyone. I'm not happy about it ( just more disappointment in the whole, sorry saga in this shambles of a season), but find it hard to be distraught about anyone of this squad if they move on.

If there are 2 players I would keep over all others it’s Elvis and Charlie. Elvis for his effort and Charlie for his incredible potential

Most of the rest can jog on really

Agree totally.

But, with our finances being in the toilet, you can’t be surprised that Ron would want to cash in on them.

This just confirms that they’ve accepted relegation is certain and given up on this season now.

Tom has a free release on relegation clause in his contract I believe so it was inevitable that if an offer came in it would be accepted - and Tom is one of the few players that was likely to attract offers.

Wish him well when he goes, has always given his all. His injury last year royally ****ed us.

Absolutely yet still we have people who don’t understand- often the same people who say we have zero chance of staying up- in which case??? It’s not difficult to see the logic surely.

Back