• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business)

Transfer news
Wouldn't say no. Same agent as Callum Powell and Gus S-M.

Anyone that scores 40 goals clearly has something about them. Coming up to 29 years of age. Is he going to get a gig in the EFL? Perhaps top end NL is about his ceiling now?...

If we convincingly sell him the ‘upward trajectory’ project that we’re currently on - or hope to be on - he could it see as a genuine opportunity (and his final one?) of making the EFL.

We need to stick to the Shrimperzone method for young players.

1) Demand we sign some rough diamond that we can sell on
2) Watch for one game and slag him off
3) Never admit to anything remotely encouraging about the player.
4) Offer to drive the taxi yourself.
5) Send them off with some snide comments
6) Laugh at the stupidity of the EFL club signing them.
7) Watch in disbelieve as they start scoring in the EFL
8) Repeat process with next player without ever learning your lesson.

Surely Ollie Pearce is nailed on to go to York. They have the deepest pockets and his Worthing manager went there a few weeks ago,
Will definitely give them a good opportunity, but absolutely not a guarantee.

What can they offer him? Does he want to move that far away, and does he have a young family to play into the equation? Can York sell a potential upward trajectory like we can? Will the established way that we play (similar to Worthing) have a pull? Do York have anybody like John Still to convince the player to go there?

What can they offer him? Does he want to move that far away, and does he have a young family to play into the equation? Can York sell a potential upward trajectory like we can? Will the established way that we play (similar to Worthing) have a pull? Do York have anybody like John Still to convince the player to go there?
They can offer him money and have his manager for most of the season to convince him to go there. I know nothing about his personal circumstances.

We have lots to offer potential new recruits now, but in this specific scenario, most factors are in favour of York. That's if both clubs want him anyway.

A potential upward trajectory - hmm. Think that things need to start happening .. in terms of the takeover - in terms of investment, ground improvements etc for us to be able to demonstrate that things are actually changing. Of course, all the work done on and off the pitch this season and the fact we have a squad of players who want to be here - and want to play for the manager - helps. Plus obviously a large fanbase. Still, I'd say York City are a big name at this level.

You are so right.

Unfortunately Yorkshire is so much nicer than Essex - not much cheaper any more but a much nicer quality of life especially if you have a young family.

I know which I would choose.

Wouldn't say no. Same agent as Callum Powell and Gus S-M.

Anyone that scores 40 goals clearly has something about them. Coming up to 29 years of age. Is he going to get a gig in the EFL? Perhaps top end NL is about his ceiling now?...
I saw “bringing up the big 40 in style” and immediately thought we’d gone back to our old ways of recruiting an aging, never quite was, with premier league “experience”.

Part of the problem is his height, very tall players often look a bit awkward. Personally I like him, he brings something different (in a good way) in my opinion, and has good feet for a tall fella.
i think the biggest issue is he hasnt done much anywhere he has been and nothing i have seen this time around will suggest he is going to improve much either. Yes he had a great assist against a very very poor Solihull team and he scored what looked like a good goal too however even that looked like luck and could have easily cleared the roof of the south stand. He isnt going to improve quick enough without games and I certainly wouldnt want him starting the majority of games.

I dont get this whole he will improve etc. So many of our fans keep going back to suggesting we sign ex-players. We are a team on the up now with new owners hopefully confirmed soon and we need a strong frontline next season. Its the only way we will give ourselves the best chance of going up.

A potential upward trajectory - hmm. Think that things need to start happening .. in terms of the takeover - in terms of investment, ground improvements etc for us to be able to demonstrate that things are actually changing. Of course, all the work done on and off the pitch this season and the fact we have a squad of players who want to be here - and want to play for the manager - helps. Plus obviously a large fanbase. Still, I'd say York City are a big name at this level.
i dunno, it worked for Ron for a decade

Come and sign for us:

"new stadium weeks not months"
"championship football"
"testimonial guaranteed"

You missed off 9) Wait until he's past it and injury prone then re-sign him then go back to 2) -5)

i think the biggest issue is he hasnt done much anywhere he has been and nothing i have seen this time around will suggest he is going to improve much either. Yes he had a great assist against a very very poor Solihull team and he scored what looked like a good goal too however even that looked like luck and could have easily cleared the roof of the south stand. He isnt going to improve quick enough without games and I certainly wouldnt want him starting the majority of games.

I dont get this whole he will improve etc. So many of our fans keep going back to suggesting we sign ex-players. We are a team on the up now with new owners hopefully confirmed soon and we need a strong frontline next season. Its the only way we will give ourselves the best chance of going up.
My take on Dakkers is that
obviously Kev and the team like the player, hence the amount of game time and continued inclusion in match day squads until the end of the season. They would like him here permanently and feel this can happen. I don't have a problem with this if on current performance if he is viewed as a good up back to the main front two with the belief that he has the ability to develop into more. A belief that is shared I am reliably informed by JS. I agree his signing would not be the 'marquee' promotion statement acquisition that is craved nor should his signing financially impact the available budget to acquire such a player, but if the price of the overall deal is right it could prove to be a shrewd move.

If we’re realistic about finances, what calibre of player are you expecting us to sign as a backup striker who is going to spend most of the season on the bench?

I don’t understand the notion that wanting to sign a young backup striker, with decent potential for the future, means we aren’t serious about promotion.
This is precisely the sort of sensible, reasoned point that is absolutely wasted on an awful lot of supporters.

We're not going to be filling our squad with expensive galacticos. Dackers is young and improving. He was excellent at Solihull and very decent in a few other games. He has decent technique, good physical attributes and is keen to be here. He's young, inconsistent and needs to learn how to use his frame. But the management staff will back themselves to improve him.

Our budget is not likely to be top 6 in the National League next season, the consortium will not be pumping in megabucks - they have a plan to get us sustainable - and people should probably temper their expectations a bit in terms of 'big name' signings. The reason we are likely to be up there is our ability to identify and polish rough diamonds, and if the team think that applies to Dackers, that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
He’s not an instant scapegoat. Everyone who saw him at Chesterfield were wondering how on earth he is a professional footballer. He’s improved a little- on occasions- but if we’re serious about promotion he’s absolutely not good enough.
Marcus Dackers has something about him.

He is still very young and whilst you mention Chesterfield, by the same token he looked like a World beater. I for one believe he has so much in him and feel that the management team can get the best out of him. I think he will be a real asset to the squad and how nice it is, that he actually wants to be here.

I think the thing to remember about Dackers is he is still only young, he's will get better with the right coaching. If Kev and Co think they can be the ones to do that then I back them fully to take up the option to sign him permanently, whether that's as a starter or back up. I back the management teams judgement

Back