• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business)

Transfer news
Hmmm, not sure how you’ve worked that out.

Powell has scored goals 14 in 93 Appearances - 47 of those as a sub for Wrexham and Southend in the National League

Dackers has scored 8 goals in 47 appearances - 23 of those as a sub for Southend x 2, Woking and Altrincham in the National League.

Sandat has scored 3 goals in 27 appearances - 16 of those as a sub for Southend x 2 in the National League

Hardly world beating stats! Plus Sandat is 19 and Dackers is 21 whereas Powell is 28.

I get the sentiment, but if we really want to go up next season we can’t hang onto someone because he’s a joker and offers something else but can’t shoot for toffee. Sentiment goes out the window now, we need to build a team ready for promotion, if there is even an air of doubt with any players and a replacement is available we should move on.

If we had the opportunity to have a player like Hayes from Rochdale instead of Powell I’d snap their arm off.

Happy to be proved wrong and he goes on to score 20 goals and push us to win the National League, I just can’t see it I’m afraid.
I was looking at their league record with us which also most current/recent, which my quick check says
Powell 12 in 31 starts 12 sub
Dackers 4 in 13 starts 10 sub
Sandat 3 in 11 starts 16 sub
The point being if Powell doesn’t score enough there are others who are higher up the firing blanks list. Maybe all three will go.
All about opinions but Hayes was gifted a goal and spent the rest of the match running into trouble losing possession, and sat on his backside whining at the officials- opinions as I say…

It's surprising what a difference there is in being a crowd pleaser and an effective player on the pitch.
3 examples.....
Powell. Good with the squad, lots of passion, desire and crowd pleading tricks warming up. I'm the game his only effective input tends to chasing down players. I believe he's to be offered something for his passion and loyalty and the injury etc.
Bridge. When comparing our two wing backs bridge has I think 2 goals from open play compared to gus's 8. Gus's first touch is nowhere near as good as bridges, But being the penalty taker with a very good record means bridge escapes a lot of criticism from fans. If he comes up against a good defender he struggles enormously in a game (ie saturday) but the one cross he got in was exellent. Against a poor defender he's a crowd pleaser turning them inside out. It's always 50\50 what you're going to get!
Waldon. Came with a big reputation for hitting the net but struggled to do that in this higher league. Off the ball involvement isn't what it should be yet and at times not physical enough. Speed is an issue too. But shows passion and desire which sways the crowd. Think the jury's out on how he's done!
lots of interesting views on all our players which is one of the the best bits about a forum.
I agree with you on Waldron and Powell. I’m maybe sucked in by enjoying watching Jack play though. Anyone know how many of Gus’ goals have been from Jacks crossing? And did his 38 step overs and my favourite, where he starts dribbling backwards, give Gus required time to get up the pitch and into the 6 yard box for any of them?

I’ve been quite encouraged by Waldron’s recent performances to be honest so yeah, funny how opinions differ. Think he’s looking sharper and stronger, was always going to take him time to step up. His running off the ball and the positions he’s getting in .. I think he’ll be fine next season. I guess whether we go all out for an established striker will depend on Cardwell staying (or not .. I’m sure there’ll be interest).

Interesting article in the Football League World about Harry C. They think that he will move on in the Summer. With our big debts and his age both these factors seem to suggest we have seen the last of harry, but I hope not.

Interesting article in the Football League World about Harry C. They think that he will move on in the Summer. With our big debts and his age both these factors seem to suggest we have seen the last of harry, but I hope not.
It depends obviously who is interested. All very well going to the EFL but you don’t want to go to a team fighting relegation if we are going to hopefully have a real go at the league next season. Better to enjoy your football too which he clearly does here. Realistically the wages aren’t going to be much different between us and most league two teams id imagine either.

Got speaking with a couple of blokes in London a few weeks ago, one of which was the player development manager at Salford (& ex United). His view on Dackers was that he was their ideal replacement for Matt Smith but he hasn’t grown into his own frame and doesn’t know how to use body effectively yet. His contract is up but they have the option to extend I believe. He said that he’s not expecting him to be given a new contract and that we want him permanently

Deon Woodman on his way back to QPR. that answers one question raised on here, he wasn't on our go get list.

I’d look to get him on a season long loan.

Ideal cover. We will pick up occasional injuries and suspensions.

He played more for us than he did when on loan at Wealdstone so QPR may be amenable to such a move.

Got speaking with a couple of blokes in London a few weeks ago, one of which was the player development manager at Salford (& ex United). His view on Dackers was that he was their ideal replacement for Matt Smith but he hasn’t grown into his own frame and doesn’t know how to use body effectively yet. His contract is up but they have the option to extend I believe. He said that he’s not expecting him to be given a new contract and that we want him permanently
We ain’t settling the bar very high are we 😡

We ain’t settling the bar very high are we 😡
Granted he has bad games but doesn’t everyone at this level? Our management team will turn Dacks into a great player no doubt in my mind. As one of 4/5 strikers I’d take him. He has all the attributes as the Salford bloke says. For me he’s an Acquah type, when he gets it he’ll get it and be a league player.

I don't get the anti Dackers stuff. To be honest if he's good enough for Kev & co he's good enough for me, he seems a nice lad and clearly fits in and is liked as a squad member. Only a few years ago we had some very talented players, but divisions in the squad and disagreements at B&L, players not even wanting to train/play. Dackers has improved and will continue to improve, should he stay - I believe that.

I don't get the anti Dackers stuff. To be honest if he's good enough for Kev & co he's good enough for me, he seems a nice lad and clearly fits in and is liked as a squad member. Only a few years ago we had some very talented players, but divisions in the squad and disagreements at B&L, players not even wanting to train/play. Dackers has improved and will continue to improve, should he stay - I believe that.

For me, it is a "no" to the Dackers I have seen this season - he is not strong enough, he is not hard working enough, he is not combatative enough .......... others say there is potential and room for development & perhaps that is what attracts differing opinions.

I have heard that Dackers wants to stay at Southend and the management are interested - hence more game time toward the end of the season but that is mainly "pub talk".

Granted he has bad games but doesn’t everyone at this level? Our management team will turn Dacks into a great player no doubt in my mind. As one of 4/5 strikers I’d take him. He has all the attributes as the Salford bloke says. For me he’s an Acquah type, when he gets it he’ll get it and be a league player.
I know it’s all about options, but my take would be he needs to improve a fair bit. Age is still on his side tho.
It’s early days yet to see if the 3 amigos want to keep him.
We do get so many rumours, but will have to wait and see I suppose.

Having Powell and Dackers as back up strikers is better than a couple of years ago when we had Kargbo and Akinola as back ups
Agree better then those dark times but they will not help us get promoted though. Would have to rely on our 2 first choice strikers playing 95% of the time. Need to be upgrading to get out of this league. Need 4 strikers who will collectively get you 50 goals

Back