• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business)

Transfer news
We are only a couple of signings from having a potential title winning side (creative Midfielder and Striker).

Not sure if I would want any of the existing squad to leave.

I like this idea. Also, with what is happening to Gateshead and losing their playoff hopes you have got to think some of their better players will be thinking they might need to move on now (Dinagra/Olley) so could be worth an enquiry?
That’s gonna be a big ask, way up north to the Deep South, long term contract and good wages to tempt them away

Sandat and Dackers will go back. I'm not sure where Dackers is with his contract at Salford but I do wonder if Maher & Co might fancy him if he's available permanently. I also wonder if is more effective playing slightly deeper - I'm thinking of Solihull away where he caused them real problems by dropping back. Admittedly they were off form. Sandat's a good player but this isn't his league - he needs another 6 months coaching at Hull then a loan to league 2.

I'm not sure David Martin will retire, and I think having him in the background as an emergency goalkeeper is a good thing. We don't name a keeper on the bench and Collin is very clearly the number 1, so I'm not sure that allocating the salary to a second choice keeper is a sensible use of funds - presumably we don't have unlimited funds for players wages, and we have a stadium that needs a fortune spending on it. If Collin gets a slight injury, Martin can cover for a game. If Collin is out for 6 weeks and we're not happy that Martin can do that job, it's very easy to loan a keeper in - lots of clubs have youngsters who they can't get enough game time for.

Demetriou is an interesting one. I think he's a very useful squad member as he can cover so many positions - it's a question of when his time is up. When I've watched him this season I've not thought 'you're off the pace mate' - so it's a question of whether the management team think having him on the bench and around the place is a good use of funds.

I suspect Fonguck and Wood will go - the latter because he's clearly at the bottom of the pile already. He must want first team football - he's clearly good enough for it - and unless Maher has a complete change of heart, he's not going to get it here, so a move is in the interests of all parties.

Powell I'd keep, although I'm not sure Maher will. He's got limitations in his game which we all know (hence he's not playing higher up) but he offers something very different to what we have elsewhere, and in certain matches he causes teams at this level real problems - he's a proper pest when he's at it, and they've not got much pace at the back.

It's then a question of who might get a move elsewhere. No one is irreplaceable and we're in the rare position that if X did leave I'd have a lot of confidence in our management team to find a good replacement. So if any better of our better players are poached by clubs higher up, be it Bridge, GSM, Husin, Cardwell etc - that's good for them and it gives our team the chance to evolve (which it needs, as we aren't the finished product). Whilst I say everyone is replaceable, I'd hope we manage to keep hold of Collin - because I think he's better off in our first team than in a bigger club's under 23s, and Cardwell - because I think he's as complete a centre forward as I've seen at this level and is the one player that might test my 'everyone is replaceable' theory. We've loaned multiple forwards in whilst we've been in this league and none has been as good as him.

As an aside, we got caught in possession at the back yesterday and it cost us a goal - that's happened on a few occasions this season, and has cost us a few points as a result. Are we saying we're OK with this, because the benefits outweigh the odd mistake, or do we need to change tactics or personnel at the back? I watch football highlights on TV and see clubs up and down the country doing this (and getting caught) each week. Surely there's an argument for a team to go back to basics and 'get rid' at the back? Or am I a footballing dinosaur?

It did cost us a goal, but it also directly led to our goal too.

It does tend to give out a few palpitations but it's also the most effective way to attack especially if, like us, you like to have possession in the final third but struggle to break down a team that sits and parks the bus. Lumping it long, 90% of the time, costs you possession.

umping it long, 90% of the time, costs you possession.

It's also much more of a pleasure to watch - I've walked away from games this season 'happy' despite losing - because the games have been entertaining. Hoof ball is not entertaining - I forget who we played a couple of months ago, but it was the worst game of the season, we went long ball, it was crap.

I was a slow convert to this style of football - but I now very much like it, even if sometimes it will cost a goal and sometimes some points

It's surprising what a difference there is in being a crowd pleaser and an effective player on the pitch.
3 examples.....
Powell. Good with the squad, lots of passion, desire and crowd pleading tricks warming up. In the game his only effective input tends to be chasing down players. I believe he's to be offered something for his passion and loyalty and the injury etc.
Bridge. When comparing our two wing backs bridge has I think 2 goals from open play compared to gus's 8. Gus's first touch is nowhere near as good as bridges, But being the penalty taker with a very good record means bridge escapes a lot of criticism from fans. If he comes up against a good defender he struggles enormously in a game (ie saturday) but the one cross he got in was exellent. Against a poor defender he's a crowd pleaser turning them inside out. It's always 50\50 what you're going to get!
Waldron. Came with a big reputation for hitting the net but struggled to do that in this higher league. Off the ball involvement isn't what it should be yet and at times not physical enough. Speed is an issue too. But shows passion and desire which sways the crowd. Think the jury's out on how he's done!
lots of interesting views on all our players which is one of the the best bits about a forum.

Last edited:
What a weird take...

Hopefully he stays, is an attacking threat and we know he struggles with finishing, but he's still a threat and would definitely have him in the squad, maybe a deeper role either wide or behind a front two.
Are you being serious?

It's surprising what a difference there is in being a crowd pleaser and an effective player on the pitch.
3 examples.....
Powell. Good with the squad, lots of passion, desire and crowd pleading tricks warming up. I'm the game his only effective input tends to chasing down players. I believe he's to be offered something for his passion and loyalty and the injury etc.
Bridge. When comparing our two wing backs bridge has I think 2 goals from open play compared to gus's 8. Gus's first touch is nowhere near as good as bridges, But being the penalty taker with a very good record means bridge escapes a lot of criticism from fans. If he comes up against a good defender he struggles enormously in a game (ie saturday) but the one cross he got in was exellent. Against a poor defender he's a crowd pleaser turning them inside out. It's always 50\50 what you're going to get!
Waldon. Came with a big reputation for hitting the net but struggled to do that in this higher league. Off the ball involvement isn't what it should be yet and at times not physical enough. Speed is an issue too. But shows passion and desire which sways the crowd. Think the jury's out on how he's done!
lots of interesting views on all our players which is one of the the best bits about a forum.
Sorry if you’ve mentioned this before but what are your feelings on Jack Wood?

We have a list of targets based on all eventualities.

If we go up, stay down, lose players, keep everyone, budget is cut, budget is increased, we can only sign frees, only bring in loans, have a transfer budget to spend on transfer fees and so on.
Obviously 🙄

I know we have just finished a great season on the pitch and justifiably have lots of positive feelings for all of our marvellous players BUT

to have realistic ambitions of promotion next season we need to get more from the players we keep and also improve the squad with some new blood. If we don't improve the quality of the squad, we will slip backwards and may even miss out on the playoffs again next time.

We need the management team to be ruthless in their appraisal of our current players and cut any who are not up to the required higher standards that we need to succeed next season.

This may lead to some departures that some fans will not agree with, but will be necessary for our progression.

There is no place for underperforming nice guys I'm afraid.

I saw kev and benno and a full car park at boots and laces today.

Maybe our players are getting told who will be here and who won't.

As for Powell. He is a tricky one. If only his footballing talent matched his attitude and work rate. Unfortunately it doesn't, he has been guilty of not hitting the target so many times but does bring something different to the front line, particularly against tired legs.

If we can upgrade great. If the budget doesn't stretch that far then I wouldn't be too disappointed if he was still here next year.

I saw kev and benno and a full car park at boots and laces today.

Maybe our players are getting told who will be here and who won't.

As for Powell. He is a tricky one. If only his footballing talent matched his attitude and work rate. Unfortunately it doesn't, he has been guilty of not hitting the target so many times but does bring something different to the front line, particularly against tired legs.

If we can upgrade great. If the budget doesn't stretch that far then I wouldn't be too disappointed if he was still here next year.
Yep. I believe today and tomorrow management and players are concluding discussions on futures etc.

I'd like us to be quick off the mark with our retained/released list. Show we are organised and mean business. But I wonder whether the whole sale/no sale may delay that until mid-late May, when hopefully this horror show will of concluded.

What a weird take...

Hopefully he stays, is an attacking threat and we know he struggles with finishing, but he's still a threat and would definitely have him in the squad, maybe a deeper role either wide or behind a front two.
Not a weird take, if that's what he believes, just an opinion that differs from you.

Yep. I believe today and tomorrow management and players are concluding discussions on futures etc.

I'd like us to be quick off the mark with our retained/released list. Show we are organised and mean business. But I wonder whether the whole sale/no sale may delay that until mid-late May, when hopefully this horror show will of concluded.

Correct.

As you say, with the uncertainty around the sale, we might not hear this week, but the players will know.

It might be helpful to point out that his goalscoring record at this level is very considerably better than both Marcus Dackers and Henry Sandat. Of course, the struggling with finishing bit is endemic in the squad and worryingly Callum is towards the top not bottom of the list!!
Hmmm, not sure how you’ve worked that out.

Powell has scored goals 14 in 93 Appearances - 47 of those as a sub for Wrexham and Southend in the National League

Dackers has scored 8 goals in 47 appearances - 23 of those as a sub for Southend x 2, Woking and Altrincham in the National League.

Sandat has scored 3 goals in 27 appearances - 16 of those as a sub for Southend x 2 in the National League

Hardly world beating stats! Plus Sandat is 19 and Dackers is 21 whereas Powell is 28.

I get the sentiment, but if we really want to go up next season we can’t hang onto someone because he’s a joker and offers something else but can’t shoot for toffee. Sentiment goes out the window now, we need to build a team ready for promotion, if there is even an air of doubt with any players and a replacement is available we should move on.

If we had the opportunity to have a player like Hayes from Rochdale instead of Powell I’d snap their arm off.

Happy to be proved wrong and he goes on to score 20 goals and push us to win the National League, I just can’t see it I’m afraid.

Back