• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business)

Transfer news
If they want gates to increase dramatically they need to invest in the ground rather than the squad.

We were already bumping up against the capacity second half of the season - and that’s without a Ron style marquee signing.

The worry is that the takeover isn’t completed in time for remedial works to be arranged for this summer.

It’s all gone very quiet on that front. Can’t blame the Consortium for that. I wouldn’t want to be paying for works on an asset I don’t yet own.
They're not going to own the stadium until planning permission is granted - could be a long wait.

Although they will be the lease holder once they purchase the club - so that hopefully means they're willing to start improving the old place

They're not going to own the stadium until planning permission is granted - could be a long wait.

Although they will be the lease holder once they purchase the club - so that hopefully means they're willing to start improving the old place
I think they'd be open to the quick, easy wins.

Sort out various toilets, sort some electrical issues, do a big clean up job, fix some roofing, etc.

But I can't see them starting any serious work until they own Roots Hall.

I think they'd be open to the quick, easy wins.

Sort out various toilets, sort some electrical issues, do a big clean up job, fix some roofing, etc.

But I can't see them starting any serious work until they own Roots Hall.
Presumably some of that will allow a safety certificate that opens up other parts of the ground. A capacity of 8,000 is not enough if we have a successful season next year

I have no idea if this is out of our price range or where the standard sits but...

Brad Young has scored 29 in 36 with four assists for TNS in Wales this season.

He's 21 and has played for England U20s, came through the youth ranks at Villa and scored a fair bit for their 18s and 21s.

He had a couple of unsuccessful loan spells at Carlisle and Ayr United.

Looks as though he could be a real prospect.

I have no idea if this is out of our price range or where the standard sits but...

Brad Young has scored 29 in 36 with four assists for TNS in Wales this season.

He's 21 and has played for England U20s, came through the youth ranks at Villa and scored a fair bit for their 18s and 21s.

He had a couple of unsuccessful loan spells at Carlisle and Ayr United.

Looks as though he could be a real prospect.
Could be just what we need. Could be another Mark Salter or Brandon Goodship.

I thought Goodship was talented but just seem half a second off the pace

Could be just what we need. Could be another Mark Salter or Brandon Goodship.

I thought Goodship was talented but just seem half a second off the pace
I'd like to see us doing this approach but in the EFL. Brandon was brought by a manager who couldn't remember his first name, gave him very little instruction in training and who quite possibly set the lad back by a couple of years in confidence.

I'd love for us to be taking these risks with upcoming options from a league below us whilst we also aimed for the best in the league.

Paul McCallum is one should be aiming for with possibly cover for Collin if he departs plus an attacking midfielder in the Zak Brunt mold.

And with that HMS **** The League is ready to depart.

Last edited:
I'd like to see us doing this approach but in the EFL. Brandon was brought by a manager who could remember his first name, gave him very little instruction in training and who quite possibly set tge lad back by a couple of years in confidence.

I'd personally like to see us taking these risks with upcoming options from a league below us whilst we also aimed for the best in the league.

Paul McCallum is one should be aiming for with possibly cover for Collin if he departs plus an attacking midfielder in the Zak Brunt mold.

And with that HMS **** The League is ready to depart.

I make you right. Both would be brilliant.

We will need a right back/ right wingback cover. Surely Demi will retire

I'd be more than happy with Dave Martin as back up to Colin

I make you right. Both would be brilliant.

We will need a right back/ right wingback cover. Surely Demi will retire

I'd be more than happy with Dave Martin as back up to Colin
Why should Demi retire ,when he played so many said how well he played ,his experience helps negate the yard off pace he may have lost. Like Martin they both can do a decent job as player coaches ,thus saving us money as we already apparently will be starting the season on a lower budget

Why should Demi retire ,when he played so many said how well he played ,his experience helps negate the yard off pace he may have lost. Like Martin they both can do a decent job as player coaches ,thus saving us money as we already apparently will be starting the season on a lower budget
A bold statement.

100% agree with this

Why will we be starting with a lower budget?

It’s all speculation at the moment, and I think people aren’t understanding how RM set a budget.

We’ve chronically overspent for years, hence the position we have found ourselves in with court cases, winding up petitions, having water and electric cut off at places, losing our GPS vests, etc etc etc.

Basically RM would give a “budget” to a manager, they would use that up and ask for more and he’d bow down to it 9 times out of 10 because he thought he was a good guy helping us out, we’d win promotions and he’d be the hero again.

My guess, when the consortium are in place, is they will say the budget is X and that’s final. Kev & co won’t be able to go cap in hand to push that budget a bit more. They want budgets in place for everything so they can keep an eye on the ins and outs of money rather than the RM approach.

Now, if we are a few points off top/play off places and we lose a key player to injury, whether they’d increase the budget to get a replacement in I don’t know, but I know RM did that multiple times, and some when we didn’t lose a key player.

It will be a much better run club going forward. John Watson has been scrutinising the figures for everything to see where money is wasted, and what can be trimmed down. I think when that's all done along with the club finally being handed over, and putting in place some more income ideas, then the consortium can come up with a players budget.

It’s all speculation at the moment, and I think people aren’t understanding how RM set a budget.

We’ve chronically overspent for years, hence the position we have found ourselves in with court cases, winding up petitions, having water and electric cut off at places, losing our GPS vests, etc etc etc.

Basically RM would give a “budget” to a manager, they would use that up and ask for more and he’d bow down to it 9 times out of 10 because he thought he was a good guy helping us out, we’d win promotions and he’d be the hero again.

My guess, when the consortium are in place, is they will say the budget is X and that’s final. Kev & co won’t be able to go cap in hand to push that budget a bit more. They want budgets in place for everything so they can keep an eye on the ins and outs of money rather than the RM approach.

Now, if we are a few points off top/play off places and we lose a key player to injury, whether they’d increase the budget to get a replacement in I don’t know, but I know RM did that multiple times, and some when we didn’t lose a key player.
Music to my ears to be honest. Just means more work will need to go into unearthing more Collins, GSMs, Kensdales and Cardwells rather than just throwing money at already established players in order to chase promotion. With John Still we’re more than capable of doing that too.

I absolutely dread to think how much money this club handed over to the likes of Kiernan, Kightly, Cox and co. as well as the severance packages to all the hired and fired managers. No wonder we nearly went belly up. Completely unsustainable.

Yeah, this.

I think you'll see the losses reduce just through competent budget-setting and management to be honest, and keeping a properly close eye on everything going in and out.

and the 'ins' are important, as the budget means that Kev and co will know that it's critical to bring in players who will hopefully increase in value and enable us to operate as a buying and selling club, especially for the foreseeable future when we won't have much coming through the academy.

It's moving us as a club that brings in older players like Simon Cox who will have limited resell value, to a club that brings in a Cardwell on the up and could cash in on him when necessary to fund the investment into other areas of the squad*

*not saying Cox was a bad player, or that we should sell Cardwell, but that Kev and team will now be clear that growing the pot is part of their responsibility and will benefit them in the longer term while we have limited finances.

Music to my ears to be honest. Just means more work will need to go into unearthing more Collins, GSMs, Kensdales and Cardwells rather than just throwing money at already established players in order to chase promotion. With John Still we’re more than capable of doing that too.

I absolutely dread to think how much money this club handed over to the likes of Kiernan, Kightly, Cox and co. as well as the severance packages to all the hired and fired managers. No wonder we nearly went belly up. Completely unsustainable.

here here. Hopefully a thing of the past

Yeah, this.

I think you'll see the losses reduce just through competent budget-setting and management to be honest, and keeping a properly close eye on everything going in and out.
This is all good news and if they can reduce the losses, legal fees & with some smart investment drag up our matchday spend per punter from 50p to something like £3 then it could increase our bank balance significantly - to either reinvest in the squad.

It will be a much better run club going forward. John Watson has been scrutinising the figures for everything to see where money is wasted, and what can be trimmed down. I think when that's all done along with the club finally being handed over, and putting in place some more income ideas, then the consortium can come up with a players budget.
Not having to pay for RM’s Bentley running costs will help!

Back