• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Trialist

He's quality. Hopefully a move away from his hometown will help him grow up and maybe get out of a bad crowd. I think he was having issues outside of football mainly.

Get him in!

Isn't his 'hometown' London? If so, he'll be coming closer to it.

Isn't his 'hometown' London? If so, he'll be coming closer to it.

yeah, sorry I cleared that up in my post above. I heard (just rumours) that he was in a bad crowd up in Walsall/Brum, and so a move away from that area may do him good.

yeah, sorry I cleared that up in my post above. I heard (just rumours) that he was in a bad crowd up in Walsall/Brum, and so a move away from that area may do him good.

You've also got to ask the question why he was let go from Arsenal/Charlton to go to Walsall in the first place.

I suspect it had little to do with ability.

Problem is with these players is that they rarely ever change. Joey Barton, Craig Bellamy, Lee Bowyer, and many others. If you have those sort of behavioural tendencies its very hard to get rid of them. Prepared to give him a chance but not exactly had many impressive triallists recently.

Otto had his issues , as did Collymore, yet both of them are two of the best Southend players to put on the blue shirt during my time of watching Southend !!

Otto had his issues , as did Collymore, yet both of them are two of the best Southend players to put on the blue shirt during my time of watching Southend !!

Saint Freddy also had issues in his wet spam days

He is still only 20 years old. If we sign him and Tilson gives him a kick up the backside to get his attitude right then we would have a great player.

Problem is with these players is that they rarely ever change. Joey Barton, Craig Bellamy, Lee Bowyer, and many others. If you have those sort of behavioural tendencies its very hard to get rid of them. Prepared to give him a chance but not exactly had many impressive triallists recently.

Thats true, but like has been mentioned, we have had "trouble" players in the past that have done well enough for us. Another example is Guttridge, horrible attitude in his Cambridge days, was brilliant for us, until the end of his spell with us.

We need a left winger, and Ishmael is a very talented one. If we can impress tonight he deserves a chance.

He's a talented player, and a trial and maybe a short term contract (end of season with option to extend) would be the most sensible approach given his past problem's. Hopefully a few months out of a job/wage will have been the wake up call he needed. Worth a try.

Goes against the grain this, but agree with the fishy one here.

I can't be arsed to read through all the replies. But I did say when he was released from Walsall that we should get him!! And everyone poo pooed my idea. He is a class player just with an attitude problem. I hope he stays and Tilly keeps him under control because he is young and if he keeps his attitude right will be a premiership player.

I can't be arsed to read through all the replies. But I did say when he was released from Walsall that we should get him!! And everyone poo pooed my idea. He is a class player just with an attitude problem. I hope he stays and Tilly keeps him under control because he is young and if he keeps his attitude right will be a premiership player.

Have you added him on Facebook yet?

This is always going to be one that splits the faithful.
Remember a few years ago when half this board wanting Leon Knight in here at all costs.
Personally, if they can get him to get his head right & he can unleash some of his potential we might have picked up a real bargain. Any move comes with risk, but this one as said above might minimise our potential risk in terms of cost. Maybe the end of Scannel's chances though if he does well.

Has he been training with the squad too or is he just turning up to play tonight?

Knight was a serial trouble maker though (and a pants footballer with a mediocre goal record) wheras this guy hasn't quite got that form yet. If he's good enough and if we can kick him out if he acts up then I don't see what we've got to lose.

Did you say the same when we signed Ricky Otto?

Excellent point! It seems people would rather wait for the perfect gentleman, I am affraid in this day and age its hard to find a good footballer who doesn't have a bit of an attitude problem. Alan McCormack would be a million times worse if it wasn't for Tilly and Brush's management skills of him! We can't keep turning down quality players because they have an attitude. Give him a try but sign him up on a contract that if he causes problems then he is shown the door.

Thats true, but like has been mentioned, we have had "trouble" players in the past that have done well enough for us. Another example is Guttridge, horrible attitude in his Cambridge days, was brilliant for us, until the end of his spell with us.

We need a left winger, and Ishmael is a very talented one. If we can impress tonight he deserves a chance.

I would argue his attitude cost us our place in the Championship, at least contributed heavily to it.

Last edited:
Back