• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Uncle Ron Throws a Tantrum

Ron sanctions the transfers. He controls the budget.
There's no way the retail park would get built without the football club lol. You should know that.

Equally Ron could build a 10,000 seater cheapo care in the community stadium. That would get round the covenant that we need somewhere to play before RH is sold. It would solve the traffic problems at no extra cost. No academy and they could train at Eastwoodbury lane...….And we could still owe him £17m

Sounds far fetched.......That is exactly what a new owner could do.

Don't get me wrong, the last thing I would do is hand Ron the deeds to my house and say "look after them mate".

However after 9 home defeats so far this season, the PB is to 'defensive' moan is beginning to look like a case of be careful what you wish for.

In the end neither PB nor SCP can say Ron has not supported them- we are by nature a L1/2 team with gates of 6k. For a club our size he has often gone the extra mile and found funds.

Look at the teams above us, their gates, their budgets.

Weren't those 3 signed by CP last summer?

By the way I don't think Pompey have to sign players on the cheap when it comes to wages.
Not sure why Amsemp has said this as Bunn is in on loan from Bury. Cox was signed by PB and Hyam yes by Cp last year
Cox's contract was extended by CP in the summer, so that effectively makes him a CP signing.

Wasn’t suggesting they were PB signings, was just making the point that those four probably earn more than the Portsmouth XI combined.

Bunn might be on loan but we’ll still be paying all or most of his wages.

As for my comments about PB crippling us, I’m referring to Kightly, Kiernan and Ferdinand who probably were/are our top earners. I dread to think what we must have paid and continue to pay to those three alone.

Wasn’t suggesting they were PB signings, was just making the point that those four probably earn more than the Portsmouth XI combined.

Bunn might be on loan but we’ll still be paying all or most of his wages.

As for my comments about PB crippling us, I’m referring to Kightly, Kiernan and Ferdinand who probably were/are our top earners. I dread to think what we must have paid and continue to pay to those three alone.

Apologies ..... My post wasn't crafted very well. I didn't mean any offence.

Ron Martin was right to blast the players as I would done the same, especially against a Portsmouth reserve side and a chance of a semi final, a two win away from Wembley and £40k prize money too.

Not sure what the deal was on Ferdy, but I thought he was on a lowish contract with a pay as you play supplement.

In the end neither PB nor SCP can say Ron has not supported them- we are by nature a L1/2 team with gates of 6k. For a club our size he has often gone the extra mile and found funds.

The likes of

fleetwood and Burton don't do to bad

flangejackrabbit said:
I am very much of the feeling that Ron asked SCP to put out a very strong side as we needed the prize money for winning. This would also explain his visit.

Ron certainly did with PB, when it went to the knock out stage.

I put it to you that he also made the same request to Paul Sturrock. The only difference being that PS actually delivered and got us to to Wembley with all the cash benefits along the way. Unfortunately in doing this it affected the players endeavors in league games and ironically led to Paul being relieved of his duties with PB brought in just prior to the Wembley final.

The likes of

fleetwood and Burton don't do to bad

Fleetwood have a mad rich owner (both madly rich and mad and rich). Burton, as far as I know, are just a supremely well run club but have put up with some dreadful hoofball over the years and players flopping around all over the place. Would we as fans be willing to put up with that?

Fleetwood have a mad rich owner (both madly rich and mad and rich). Burton, as far as I know, are just a supremely well run club but have put up with some dreadful hoofball over the years and players flopping around all over the place. Would we as fans be willing to put up with that?

They also have some of the best training facilities in the country @ St. George’s park.

Equally Ron could build a 10,000 seater cheapo care in the community stadium. That would get round the covenant that we need somewhere to play before RH is sold. It would solve the traffic problems at no extra cost. No academy and they could train at Eastwoodbury lane...….And we could still owe him £17m

Sounds far fetched.......That is exactly what a new owner could do.

Don't get me wrong, the last thing I would do is hand Ron the deeds to my house and say "look after them mate".

However after 9 home defeats so far this season, the PB is to 'defensive' moan is beginning to look like a case of be careful what you wish for.

I get your general point, the stadium could be a cheaper design and not as big, but not 10,000. our planning application is based on us needing a bigger stadium so the club can grow. Not sure how that works if the capacity is smaller

Back