• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Update

I'm not massively fussed about going from 21k to 17k and now 16200 capacity.

More than enough for the club. If we ever need more (unlikely) we can increase a few thousand.

More concerned that the revenue streams previously quoted will no longer happen.

A new stadium is great if the club makes money beyond matchdays, but not so great if there aren't any and we end up paying rent every year.

That's assuming the North stand is built. As it stands, with the current plans (phase one) it's a lower Capacty than RH I believe. I also don't see room to expand either with all the flats around it.

I agree the whole idea with this new Stadium was to generate income, that's not going to happen now.

100% this. The stadium plans have been cut to the bone and we have no idea whatsoever how we will benefit from it at all, let alone whether we will continue paying RM for the privilege of having it. Houses, houses and houses are all that matter to RM and we are being sacrificed along the way.
Strong agree. I would also like to know if anybody associated with the club has been promised a pay out from ff. we need transparency around all finances regarding who benefits from ff.

That’s the key question at the end of the day.

That's assuming the North stand is built. As it stands, with the current plans (phase one) it's a lower Capacty than RH I believe. I also don't see room to expand either with all the flats around it.

I agree the whole idea with this new Stadium was to generate income, that's not going to happen now.
That’s what makes me so upset. Roots hall has so much history and has been allowed to crumble all for a modern souless stadium

I'm not massively fussed about going from 21k to 17k and now 16200 capacity.

More than enough for the club. If we ever need more (unlikely) we can increase a few thousand.

More concerned that the revenue streams previously quoted will no longer happen.

A new stadium is great if the club makes money beyond matchdays, but not so great if there aren't any and we end up paying rent every year.
Then why bother moving? Is it just for the property and the stadium is the key to u lock the true aim, the property. So how does the actual club benefit from the new stadium.

Then why bother moving? Is it just for the property and the stadium is the key to u lock the true aim, the property. So how does the actual club benefit from the new stadium.

Because RH is a unhygienic ****e hole.

It will be built because of the housing that will go with it. Far too much riding on it not for it to be built.

It’s been really disappointing to see the news coming out of the club over the last week or so, capped off by the social media posts yesterday from PG, Richard Jobson, and Matt Slater who confirmed the embargo.

In particular, it is a shame to see the development plans scaled back, as we believe that this will jeopardise the sustainability of the club once the housing has been built and sold. We appreciate the necessity of the residential development as part of this project, but not to the detriment of the club.

“The club will have revenue streams that its competitors can only dream of and making it well placed to compete, and maintain a position, in the upper echelons of the Football League [Ron Martin, January 2019]” - from the clubs perspective, this should be the primary reason why the development should go ahead.

There is little benefit to be derived for Southend United from a sale of residential properties: instead, we believe that the club needs to benefit from ongoing revenue streams such as conferences, events, franchised F&B / hotel, retail and so on, together with embracing new opportunities such as e-sports.

To achieve these ambitious plans, and build a stadium fit for the future of the City, this vision needs to be baked into the development at the start rather than hoping that it can be retro-fitted in the future.

We’ve been working away behind the scenes meeting with and speaking to key supporter groups and individuals, our funding is in place, and remain ready to speak to Ron Martin with the intention of acquiring the club and the surrounding development.

Well Carl. I hope you have deep pockets. Ron Martin will not walk away when he is so close to finally getting his master plan and final pay packet.

Once the stadium is built and he has well and truly lined his pockets, he may be willing to listen, but until then, he will remain as stubborn and as poor as ever.

Southend United Football Club rent

Roots Hall £400,000 per annum
Fossetts Farm + training pitches £1,000,000 per annum

Thanks Ron
Maybe I’m being thick but who’s ff rent being paid to? And wow, that’s a very high rent, where’s the money coming from to pay that?

Maybe I’m being thick but who’s ff rent being paid to? And wow, that’s a very high rent, where’s the money coming from to pay that?

It was a bit tongue in cheek, but is probably not far from the truth, who will the club pay?

Ron or who ever he sells the Fossetts Farm stadium and freehold to.

Talking to yourself is a sign of insanity.

We can only move this forwards once we have a meeting with Ron. And for clarity, all other discussions have resulted in ongoing conversations.
Carl is true you have actually been quoted a price for the whole lot?

Sorry if I've completely misunderstood this Carl, quite likely. But are you saying you've got the funding in place without actually being quoted a price?

No, we’ve not even got to a point of any substantive communication with Ron directly.
I dot mean in any serious meetings. I mean are you aware of an off the record ball park figure.

Some of our fans amaze me. First it’s, we’re stuck with Ron as no one will buy us. Now we have a genuine guy who is a fan of the club backed by his investors wanting to buy the club AND THE DEVELOPMENT which is key and yet some fans are still not happy and moaning and making digs at Carl, I honestly can’t believe some of our fan base.

With the latest fiascos with the embargo’s, main sponsor pulling out after only 2 months and unpaid wages every fan should be getting behind Carl and his investors. This circus can NOT continue under Ron. We must have new owners before it’s too late and the club sinks even further!

Some of our fans amaze me. First it’s, we’re stuck with Ron as no one will buy us. Now we have a genuine guy who is a fan of the club backed by his investors wanting to buy the club AND THE DEVELOPMENT which is key and yet some fans are still not happy and moaning and making digs at Carl, I honestly can’t believe some of our fan base.

With the latest fiascos with the embargo’s, main sponsor pulling out after only 2 months and unpaid wages every fan should be getting behind Carl and his investors. This circus can NOT continue under Ron. We must have new owners before it’s too late and the club sinks even further!

They are not dig or moans they are sensible questions for a man who has come on here.... None of us have searched for Carl.

I don't know Carl but other sensible posters on here speak highly of him. But you never know he could be another Anton Johnson or that bloke doing keepy uppies down the wing at Old Trafford.

Just imagine all fans got a vote on who was owner, what a disaster that would be. The bizarre thing is If those Italians who ended up at Orient, the owners of Charlton had shown interest in Southend instead......Ron would have been voted out by over 90%.......Which proves over 90% of fans should never get that vote....Me included.

It's long been evident that Roots Hall was falling into wrack and ruin. It is full of asbestos, wooden structures that wouldn't be allowed these days, questionable wiring, inadequate plumbing and poor catering facilities. It costs a quite phenomenal amount of money to get it to a level that allows it to pass the annual safety check.

It was obvious that money would not be invested when you consider how long the development plans have been going.

I'm not saying Roots Hall couldn't be retained as our home, but the cost to put it right and to an acceptable standard for a modern day stadium makes it prohibitive and unviable to Ron. It's pretty much always been about the development of the Roots Hall site and moving us elsewhere for financial gain, but I don't believe he ever envisaged how much money it was going to end up costing him.

They are not dig or moans they are sensible questions for a man who has come on here.... None of us have searched for Carl.

I don't know Carl but other sensible posters on here speak highly of him. But you never know he could be another Anton Johnson or that bloke doing keepy uppies down the wing at Old Trafford.

Just imagine all fans got a vote on who was owner, what a disaster that would be. The bizarre thing is If those Italians who ended up at Orient, the owners of Charlton had shown interest in Southend instead......Ron would have been voted out by over 90%.......Which proves over 90% of fans should never get that vote....Me included.
The difference with Carl is that he is a genuine fan of the club and has been for a long time. He knows the ins and outs of what’s happened at the club and what a mess Ron has made of it. He won’t be going into it blind and will know full well what to expect. I honestly believe Carl, a genuine fan of the club who has the right backing would be a very good thing for SUFC.

Every fan in my opinion should be backing this takeover and put as much pressure on Ron as possible to sell.
I mean what next under Ron, a points deduction?

Back