• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Update

The difference with Carl is that he is a genuine fan of the club and has been for a long time. He knows the ins and outs of what’s happened at the club and what a mess Ron has made of it. He won’t be going into it blind and will know full well what to expect. I honestly believe Carl, a genuine fan of the club who has the right backing would be a very good thing for SUFC.

Every fan in my opinion should be backing this takeover and put as much pressure on Ron as possible to sell.
I mean what next under Ron, a points deduction?

Speaking as an individual, and not with my Trust hat on, I'd like to understand a lot more about the financial backing Carl has. A Monacan pension fund (which I believe is what has been mentioned) doesn't seem a plausible stake holder to me. Surely those pension trustees might be seen to be negligent to invest in a basket case such as we appear to have!

Speaking as an individual, and not with my Trust hat on, I'd like to understand a lot more about the financial backing Carl has. A Monacan pension fund (which I believe is what has been mentioned) doesn't seem a plausible stake holder to me. Surely those pension trustees might be seen to be negligent to invest in a basket case such as we appear to have!
I understand what you post and have had the same thoughts as this type of investment MUST always be to the financial gain of the investor, simple.
And the manager of the fund MUST always have the priority aim of safe guarding and growing the fund.
Yet, in this case there looks a very reliable pot of profit from the development project upon completion and sale of house, AND a big money INJECTION could rapidly speed the whole FF, Hall development up.
I understand that, and the Ron might get paid a reasonable profit for his years BUT not what he sees as his 20 + years mega bonus profit.
Then I ask what will the fund "do" with SUFC after they have had their big pay day?

Some good points have been raised on this thread, so I thought I might add my tuppence ha’penny on what is a complex picture marked by (it seems to me) good intentions on all sides. Those good intentions seem to be underpinned by a shared sense of impotence to affect things at the club with which collectively we profoundly disagree (such as, but not limited to, the appalling record of paying salaries and taxes).

I don’t believe Carl’s proposal has legs, and it might (might!) actually help cause significant further harm in the short term. I am as sure as I can be without knowing Carl or his close confidants on here better that that is not their intention. However, well meaning intentions can have terrible unintended consequences if the consequences of any actions (particularly ‘direct action’) in support of them have either not been fully understood or if the intended outcome itself is either suboptimal or possibly much much worse than the existing situation.

Let’s say Carl’s proposal has legs, for a moment. It appears that Carl himself is not a man of independent means sufficient to sustain SUFC on his own. I may be wrong but my research tells me otherwise. That’s no slight against Carl - I’m not wealthy enough either (far from it - probably far less than Carl!). His proposal seems to be financially underpinned by a pension fund on the basis that they could see a return on their investment through the sale of properties proposed to be built. They will not give a toss IMO, or invest in, the football club (which surely is our main concern as fans). So a few thoughts here:

- How will Carl and the pension funds be able to make an offer significant enough to turn Ron’s head away from him making those profits himself - which he currently stands to do - while also preserving their own profit margin and entire reason for being involved?
- Once the pension fund has bought out Ron, sold the flats and banked the profits what will become of the rump development, i.e. the football club? The pension fund will not retain ownership of that as it will not provide the regular return on investment they need (relative to almost any other investment they could make to secure the pensions of their members). Will Carl pocket the club, stadium, facilities et al as his fee for introducing the pension fund to this opportunity?

So, without his having independent means he would obtain a club and assets for nix on the back of promising profits to moneymen. Sounds like a Poundland Glazers takeover - hardly the improvement on Ron we all want to see. He would be forced to either sell immediately or the club would be bust in a few short months. His whole premise for improving our lot by ousting Ron fails on its own terms by, if it were to succeed, leading us to financial doom on a warp speed timeline.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire springs to mind. Mass protests, blanket international media coverage AND a phoenix club didn’t budge the Glazers one iota and yet we believe this might work in Southend?

It seems to me that Carl’s bid and the protest movement are both well intentioned but catastrophically misconceived. Promotion of either on here (essentially in support of each other although careful to not be explicit in doing so) comes from, I think, genuine good intentions. However Carl’s proposal, if it is truly genuine, offers a frightening vision of the future. Removing Ron may be gratifying but there’s the small issue of the existence of the club to care for once Ron is gone.

Protests now at this point without a clear investor for the football club (not the proposed associated developments), with personal and independent means to sustain and grow it and the clear desire and primary aim of doing so, will only succeed in damaging the football side of the club without harming a hair on the head of the financial side of the club.

I‘d personally request that both the Carl investment story and protest agitation movement reconsider their approach. Instead let’s engage with real contacts that we have (like @StanCollymore) to understand (privately) what we might collectively be able to do to genuinely encourage the right one of those potential investors to succeed ASAP.

To my mind, now is the time to make an offer for the club - any time between now and when the main stand (with all the flats etc) is built. Those flats could be a brake on the potential of the football club to ever do a Brentford - which in theory with good management ought to be a medium-long term possibility with the right leadership. Get in now, buy the club, stadium, car parking, training facilities and assocIated plant, equipment and access land - amend the main stand and hey presto you’ve got a reasonably viable club in a well populated area.

The investor should get the experts to assess the value of those football club assets (noting the build costs and allowing for the value of the proposed flats in the main stand) and make an offer for just those (minus build costs in line with current designs) plus a % to tempt Ron. Leave Ronnie to fill his boots with the flats etc. In other words, Ron would make more money by going with the investment proposal - without the hassle of building the thing or running it in the meantime. There is no way he wouldn’t go with that - and that is the kind of approach that would be attractive and lead him to talks.

This is all outline thinking of course, so all the detailed hole-picking this post is likely to encourage I may not know the answers to. Lots of due diligence and expert advice would be needed at all stages. Nevertheless I think there’s some salient points in here and I hope Carl (and the protest agitators - and others) might better understand why I don’t just not support their plans but want to actively discourage them. All without being a Ronnie lover or with my face surgically attached to Stan’s bottom.

It's long been evident that Roots Hall was falling into wrack and ruin. It is full of asbestos, wooden structures that wouldn't be allowed these days, questionable wiring, inadequate plumbing and poor catering facilities. It costs a quite phenomenal amount of money to get it to a level that allows it to pass the annual safety check.

It was obvious that money would not be invested when you consider how long the development plans have been going.

I'm not saying Roots Hall couldn't be retained as our home, but the cost to put it right and to an acceptable standard for a modern day stadium makes it prohibitive and unviable to Ron. It's pretty much always been about the development of the Roots Hall site and moving us elsewhere for financial gain, but I don't believe he ever envisaged how much money it was going to end up costing him.
I’d rather the money go into the hall All these years than the grand plan. i guess a choice was made to develop property not save the hall. Sad.

I don't want to lengthen the thread by quoting the whole of post #43, but wanted to say that this is the most sense I've seen on Shrimperzone for quite some time (including some of my own postings!).

Thanks @Spaceman Spiff

Says who?
Kat, people have been through this with you before, let it go. Roots Hall is dead in the water in terms of investment, opportunity, anything, the stadium is too rusted, too old, way past it's time that it will cost more than the new stadium to renovate, it's not going to happen and quite frankly it's impossible.

This has been explained by multiple people including Ron himself, Tom Lawrence himself, it's plainly quite obvious it just cannot be done.

Kat, people have been through this with you before, let it go. Roots Hall is dead in the water in terms of investment, opportunity, anything, the stadium is too rusted, too old, way past it's time that it will cost more than the new stadium to renovate, it's not going to happen and quite frankly it's impossible.

This has been explained by multiple people including Ron himself, Tom Lawrence himself, it's plainly quite obvious it just cannot be done.
It’s only dead in the water because Ron Martin destroyed it to be dead in the water if you buy a car and deliberately never change the oil water fan belt cam belt hey presto the thing will blow up …. Maintain a car treat it with respect and love and it will last you years and years and years … rootshall is only ‘not fit for purpose’ because it’s been deliberately moth balled from any type of maintenance
So he can screem it’s not fit for purpose !
And before you all tap on about the £200k a year to get the H&S certs I’m a senior facilities manager, let me see the consultants reports and quoted works… I’ll be able to quash that one too … £200k a year ffs 🤦‍♂️

I’d prefer to keep the one we have now, that one that doesn’t have any money the one that uses the FAs academy money to fund his housing estate and the one that will result in us greeting a points deduction … now I know why the trust are so useless ! In Ron we trust

As much as I would rather stay at Roots hall than move, it's been neglected to the point of ruin. This upsets me more at times than some of the financial shenanigans.

I love the place. And can't imagine not watching the blues play there.

Realistically, it would cost millions to bring it up to scratch and probably about 20 million to completely renovate it to a level that sustains for the next 20 years +.

That is just a very unfeasible amount for anyone to pay out.

With that in mind, Fossetts seems the only viable option.

If and it's a big IF, an interested party were to sit with Ron and make an offer. They would need to pay the debts incurred, rumoured to be 20 million and the potential revenue money from the build at fossetts, rumoured to be several million profit.

Who in their right mind would pay that for a National League outfit?

Ron has the biggest ego and even if he could walk away debt free right now, as in today, he wouldn't. He has been chasing the gold at the end of his rainbow too long for his ego to allow it.

The best route is for fossetts to be built, Ron to make his money and then someone to buy the club and the stadium lock stock and barell.

I wish you luck Carl, but I fear that the timing is off and you are dealing with a complete megalomaniac.

Makes you wonder if someone came in and offered to buy the club by rebuilding Roots Hall, the fans would force Ron to sell then. By jove if i had a bit more in my projected retitrement fund... imagine leaving a beautiful Roots Hall behind you for the grandkids and being the next Sid Broomfield holding a paint brush.
In loving memory of Shrimp & 2Veg , written above the main stand... a true legacy.

Sigh.

Back to reality then.. and a 3 sided concrete block stand with open corners in a housing estate it is then. Hotel? Hahaha ! We're not a league club anymore anyway. Remember guys, like post 43, dont protest !

Back