• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Varney and Iwelumo...

Haha! I said to myself when they lost to Palace at home on the last day that that is the start of there demise from the Championship...i for one do not think they will finish as high as they did this season.

Yes it will be tougher, the second season always is for promoted teams really.

As for the Palace "demise" comment, many people thought that would be the case when we had our winless run in February time.

If, however, we can keep our work ethic and bring in some fresh faces, then I think we'll do OK next season.

Varney is a good player but he's no Freddy Eastwood. Anyone know how much longer he had on his contract at Crewe?

Varney is a good player but he's no Freddy Eastwood. Anyone know how much longer he had on his contract at Crewe?

What else makes you wonder as well is if Varney's selling price hits its max of £2.5 Million what is Eastwood's??

What else makes you wonder as well is if Varney's selling price hits its max of £2.5 Million what is Eastwood's??

Exactly what i said mate.

I am just looking on soccerbase at the stats of both Varney and Eastwood.

For Varney it says that he was signed from Quorn FC (for Crewe) in 2003 for £50,000 (fairly identical to how we signed Freddy, albeit he joined on loan first). Varneys pro career began at Crewe as Quorn FC weren't pro. In his four years as a Pro, with Crewe, Varney has played 108 games in all competitions (including sub appearances) and scored 35 goals, he's goal to game ratio is a goal every 1.88 matches.

For Eastwood it says, as we all know he started as a trainee at West Ham. He then went on to Grays, but it doesn't have any appearance details. On Wikipedia it says he played 42 times for Grays scoring 37 goals. But back to soccerbase and it says that Freddy, in all competitions has played 135 games (including as a substitute) and scored 65 goals, with a goal to game ratio of a goal every 1.14 matches.

It shows that Freddy, albeit has played more games, has scored 30 more goals than Varney, and if you add his Grays goal tally then that would be 72 goals more than Varney.

So who's the better player, and who is worth the most?

P.S I think my goal to game ratio is right (a goal every ?.?? matches). If wrong tell me, cos it might be ?.?? goal(s) per match!?

I saw Varney against Man United the round before we played them and he looked very talented, and he's in the Eastwood-mold in that he's quite skillfull and he's the one who will play off of the big man (Iwelumo now of course). It makes you wonder why Pardew (a known Eastwood fan) has gone for Varney at this stage. Could it be that Fred's off-pitch reputation has got the better of him? Or could Charlton know that Ron Martin really doesn't want to sell Eastwood, and certainly not at that price?

Well done Charlton, you've just added a nice healthy figure to Freddy's sale value. :D

Back