• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Wall Papering?????

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
Right, i have to do some decorating for the outlaws at the weekend, 4 walls, one they want painting, so no probs.

The other 3 they want wall paper on. I have no issues with just plain walls, done a few before, but one of the walls has a window in it so will have to go all round the window frame.....

As i really want to make a good job but would not have the first clue regards papering around a window frame.

Any one got any tips or hints???

Right, i have to do some decorating for the outlaws at the weekend, 4 walls, one they want painting, so no probs.

The other 3 they want wall paper on. I have no issues with just plain walls, done a few before, but one of the walls has a window in it so will have to go all round the window frame.....

As i really want to make a good job but would not have the first clue regards papering around a window frame.

I hired a member of the lumpen proletariat, who turned up to do the job in what I believe is called a 'van'. He did a lovely job, and impressed me by being able to use the indoor toilet facilities at my home. Well done sir.

Dont take shortcuts, they make the job longer.

If a roll of wallpaper is 22cm wide, drop a plumb line about 21cm form the corner of the room and paste your first piece in line with the line, leaving about 1cm to go round the corner.

Always allow at least 1cm to go round corners but bear in mind the corners are unlikely to be at right angles.

When you past the second bit, align it with the first, then smooth the air out sideways. Use plenty of paste to give yourself plenty of “slip”. Pros even use paste on ready pasted paper.

Trim top and bottom whilst the past is still wet. If you wait till it dries the paper will curl

Buy a snap off blade knife and keep it sharp for trimming. If you use a blunt one it might scuff the paper and ruin it.

A professional will probably give you loads more – and possibly different advice but this stuff has always worked for me.

I find a radio turned up loud and lots of tea breaks makes any job a good 'un mate

Dont take shortcuts, they make the job longer.

If a roll of wallpaper is 22cm wide, drop a plumb line about 21cm form the corner of the room and paste your first piece in line with the line, leaving about 1cm to go round the corner.

Always allow at least 1cm to go round corners but bear in mind the corners are unlikely to be at right angles.

When you past the second bit, align it with the first, then smooth the air out sideways. Use plenty of paste to give yourself plenty of “slip”. Pros even use paste on ready pasted paper.

Trim top and bottom whilst the past is still wet. If you wait till it dries the paper will curl

Buy a snap off blade knife and keep it sharp for trimming. If you use a blunt one it might scuff the paper and ruin it.

A professional will probably give you loads more – and possibly different advice but this stuff has always worked for me.

Cheers mate....i have got one of those little wheel things for smoothing out bubbles and a wall paper brush as well. I am just worried about all the fiddly bits round the window.

would think if you let the paper drop to cover the window then mark the corners and edges then drop the paper and cut to that,then when you hang it for good trim it with a sharp stanley(that you have obviously carried at Pittodrie).

would think if you let the paper drop to cover the window then mark the corners and edges then drop the paper and cut to that,then when you hang it for good trim it with a sharp stanley(that you have obviously carried at Pittodrie).

But when it drops past the right angle of the window frame, to ensure you have he correct amount to corner the insert of the window frame you need to cut extra plus cut the corner at the correct angle so that when you push it in it fits perfectly.

it is about a quarter of the depth of the below example but the 3 inside pieces and top piece have to be papered in one continuous strip!!!!! GULP

window-view.jpg

I would Artex the walls.

A lot simpler than wallpaper and like crazy paving and stone cladding some things never go out of style.

Get the yellow pages out and call a decorator on the sly.

Think they might notice though Sam....i am the wonderful son-inlaw who is supposed to be able to do jobs like this for them

Never have been good with me hands.....well apart from HT at the Col U game!!!

;)

Not seen it yet, but i know it is not Woodchip mate...........hang on.

Senga?????

If you are lurking, what is the paper like that your folks want put up??

hiya, just back from shopping

no its definately not woodchip - thats way to old fashioned.

its cream with a deep burgandy flower and bronze leaves - that sounds really awful but it is actually extremely nice (especially for my old folks to pick) - hence why signature wall in deep burgandy paint for 3 canvas's to go on (our choice)

hope that clears it up !!

hiya, just back from shopping

no its definately not woodchip - thats way to old fashioned.

its cream with a deep burgandy flower and bronze leaves - that sounds really awful but it is actually extremely nice (especially for my old folks to pick) - hence why signature wall in deep burgandy paint for 3 canvas's to go on (our choice)

hope that clears it up !!

well, i hope you are helping and someone is keeping me up to speed with the scores?????

ow and keeps me in Bow all afternoon

well, i hope you are helping and someone is keeping me up to speed with the scores?????

ow and keeps me in Bow all afternoon

i will help you and dad will do the sandwiches and cider and scores for you (football not anything else before anyone else says something)

Back