• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wallpaper Stripping

Bucks_blue

Manager
Not quite as exciting as DtS's Polls on who you'd like to sh@g on EastEnders but still.....

Just moved in to an old 1930's house and it has manky wallpaper over what looks like the original wood chip paper.

The Manky stuff comes off fine but the wood chip stuff is coming off like an inch at a time. Everytime you think you are under it , it rips and you take an inch square off.

Short of paying someone to come in and strip it what's the best way of getting 60 year old wall paper off?!?!?!

Bear in mind the plaster underneath is original too so using a steamer is pretty much out or you blow the plaster off the brick...unless there are any experts who know differernt....

Have you tried soaking the walls with warm water and leaving it to soak in before scrapping? Normally does the trick.

Blow torch, or failing that, a industrial stripper. Worth the money and will strip it off clean. Touching up with a bit of plaster isn't as hard as you think. If I can do it then anyone can.

Soaking it with warm water certainly does the trick but wood chip wallpaper takes ages to remove whatever the method; whoever came up with the idea should be shot "wall chipped" himself ...

Steam it, get the lot replastered then paint the walls. Working on a low maintenance theory Ive managed to get all but two rooms in my house devoid of wallpaper. Wife wanted a colour change in the kitchen, no problem, repainted the lot on Saturday. If I were removing ad renewing wallpaper would have taken me miles longer

If the wood chip (which is only one down from Artex in being a pain in the arse) has about 7 coats of paint on it, try some industrial strength paint stripper on it, at least then when you wet it the water has a chance to soak into the paper.. Probably best ot open a window and not smoke at this stage of proceedings
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Jan. 15 2007,20:53)]Not quite as exciting as DtS's Polls on who you'd like to sh@g on EastEnders but still.....

Just moved in to an old 1930's house and it has manky wallpaper over what looks like the original wood chip paper.

The Manky stuff comes off fine but the wood chip stuff is coming off like an inch at a time. Everytime you think you are under it , it rips and you take an inch square off.

Short of paying someone to come in and strip it what's the best way of getting 60 year old wall paper off?!?!?!

Bear in mind the plaster underneath is original too so using a steamer is pretty much out or you blow the plaster off the brick...unless there are any experts who know differernt....
I had a similar problem last summer....

I can whole-heartedly recommend a product called the Paper Tiger (one of the best gadgets I have ever purchased) which rips the surface of the paper to shreds without damaging the wall underneath:

dwpra34.jpg

Also, make sure your scraper is one of the long handled models that takes a craft knife blade.

Make sure you heavily score the paper using the Paper Tiger and then soak the scored paper in warm soapy water, give it ten minutes and it comes off easily with the scraper.

WARNING: Watch your fingers when using the Paper Tiger. Lose concentration for a second and you will end up like Roy Horn. It may be worth using gloves.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SARF @ Jan. 16 2007,08:04)]If the wood chip (which is only one down from Artex in being a pain in the arse) has about 7 coats of paint on it, try some industrial strength paint stripper on it, at least then when you wet it the water has a chance to soak into the paper..  Probably best ot open a window and not smoke at this stage of proceedings  
wink.gif
......and watch out because it may be lead based paint.

Delicious, but deadly.

Every bit as good an one of my polls mate....

I had a similar problem a while ago and I borrowed a friends stripper and even the worst wood chip in the world came off with no effort. It is a very time consuming job but well worth it.

You can also hire them - mate of mine got one for £30 and it worked a treat.

DtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 16 2007,09:44)]Every bit as good an one of my polls mate....

I had a similar problem a while ago and I borrowed a friends stripper ......

You can also hire them - mate of mine got one for £30
rock.gif

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 16 2007,10:44)]Every bit as good an one of my polls mate....

I had a similar problem a while ago and I borrowed a friends stripper and even the worst wood chip in the world came off with no effort. It is a very time consuming job but well worth it.

You can also hire them - mate of mine got one for £30 and it worked a treat.

DtS
It's always about sex with you, isn't it. You need therapy!

tounge.gif

Back