• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Walsall FC 1-1 Southend United

Personally, I think the referee made three bad decisions:

The disallowed goal at the end of the first half. Aren't refs encouraged to blow when the ball is put back in play or in a neutral area?

Their defender should have been sent off for a professional foul in the second half.

Their penalty.

I don't normally moan about refs, but he really should have got those decisions right.

I thought we played pretty well, even Bunn made a nuisance of himself supporting Cox. I know both Elvis and Kelman missed good chances, but if the referee gets his decisions right, they don't matter.

Unfortunately, we were playing the proverbial 12 men today.

Last edited:
I had google feed telling me the score. It also told me that John White got a red card. It's a new phone and I have now switched that live feed off. Samsung and Google, a marriage made in hell!

The referee should be reported and if he ever gets a whistle in his lips above schoolboy level questions should be asked. A blatant homer who wanted to be centre of attention, and trousered a few extra bob for a job well done on his part I've very no doubt. Ross Joyce, if this crook ever gets assigned a game at the hall I hope the faithful will remember this sad day.

Last edited:
Referee cost us 3 points today no doubt. Firstly the decision to not award us the second goal and instead blow for half time when the ball was in its way in to the back of the net. Then to give a last minute penalty when the lad has clearly thrown himself to the floor despite the fact seconds earlier he waved play on when our lad was bundled over on the half way line. Scandalous. I won’t for one moment blame him for us being **** for the majority of the season but he is the reason we aren’t out of the drop zone tonight. It’s about time something is done about the standard of officiating at this level instead of the FA running these pointless “respect the ref” campaigns.
Sorry, there's nothing wrong in respecting refs.
Admittedly, when the bad ones screw up, it's gutting and costly.
But 'pointless'? There's a reason why getting local refs for Sunday mornings is proving a problem.

The question is how the players will react to this on Monday. Will they be psychologically destroyed by the decision/result or will they show the anger that has been missing in home games on too many occasions this season. I've got a feeling the crowd will be up for it now.

Sorry, there's nothing wrong in respecting refs.
Admittedly, when the bad ones screw up, it's gutting and costly.
But 'pointless'? There's a reason why getting local refs for Sunday mornings is proving a problem.

Train the referees better so they don’t keep ****ing up every week and they’ll soon have respect. When they constantly make mistake after mistake why would you respect him? That referee today has cost us a place outside the relegation zone tonight, ain’t nothing to respect about that.

According to the press association write up on the BBC and sky sport websites, Oteh was "bundled to the ground" by Turner... if that was bundled, then I am a fairy princess with pet unicorns! It isn't just the referees who are shocking, the journalists are almost as bad!

SOUTHEND United manager Kevin Bond let rip at referee Ross Joyce following this afternoon’s 1-1 draw at Walsall.

More...

The question is how the players will react to this on Monday. Will they be psychologically destroyed by the decision/result or will they show the anger that has been missing in home games on too many occasions this season. I've got a feeling the crowd will be up for it now.
Given what happened after Blackpool and what happened after twice being pegged back at Fleetwood, I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Train the referees better so they don’t keep ****ing up every week and they’ll soon have respect. When they constantly make mistake after mistake why would you respect him? That referee today has cost us a place outside the relegation zone tonight, ain’t nothing to respect about that.
I think you're talking tongue in cheek - at least I hope you are.
Is there confusion here between 'respect' and criticism?
The ref deserves the latter big time after poor, poor decisions, but his position DEMANDS the former.

I really hope the lads are thoroughly fired up by that and put in the performance of the season on Monday!

I’m not one to berate refs each week, but this one can’t argue he’s cost us the points today.
If we go down, it’s not the refs fault though. We’ve cost ourselves a lot more than 3 points this season by generally being crap.

Given what happened after Blackpool and what happened after twice being pegged back at Fleetwood, I wouldn’t get your hopes up.
Oh I agree. I'm clutching at the tiniest of straws here. It's horrible, I can't stop looking at the league table without ruining my brain with various scenarios, one of which is potentially climbing to 18th if we can somehow dig out a win against Burton. Hope, despair, etc.

Back