• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

that is the law of the game:
Gaining an advantage by being in an offside positionPlaying the ball after the ball has rebounded off the goal, the goalkeeper, or any opponent[SUP][3][/SUP]Since offside is judged at the time the ball is touched or played by a team-mate, not when the player receives the ball, it is possible for a player to receive the ball significantly past the second-to-last defender, or even the last defender (typically the goalkeeper).
Determining whether a player is in "active play" can be complex. FIFA issued new guidelines for interpreting the offside law in 2003 and these were incorporated in Law XI in July 2005. The new wording seeks to define the three cases more precisely.
Controversy regarding offside decisions often arises from assessment of what movements a player in an offside position can make without being judged to be interfering with an opponent. Bill Shankly made a famous quote: "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be!" This quote exemplifies why IFAB had to clarify what "gaining an advantage" means, as referees all over the world were considering almost anything as an advantage.

I'm not sure what your point is. There's no disputing that he was in active play. He put the ball in the net (and rather neatly too).

Well is shouldnt be hard for the lino thought if there was any element of doubt they were meant to favour the attacker and that never ever happens.
My first reaction was offside, and Looking again (hard because of the camera angle) I think he was just about off.My point is that in real time, I was convinced he was off and so was the linesman. I was level with Moshni too. If the linesman had had the benefit of a replay in slow mo, I still think he would have given offside.

I knew I had heard it somewhere, and a quick search for linesman directives I found:

Attention is drawn to the following decisions made at the 2nd UEFA Seminar for international assistant referees (in 2003) for the benefit of international football in Europe by adopting a standard approach in the performances of assistant referees.

Offside

1. It was noted that there had been no changes in the offside law for the season 2002/03, nor any extra IFAB or FIFA directives.

2. If an assistant referee is not totally sure about an offside offence the flag should not be raised (i.e. in case of doubt benefit must be given to the attacking team).

So by point 2 (if that is actually inforced as the TV pundits seem to believe - although they may be wrong!) I don't see how a lino can ever be sure about a decision that was that close - unless he wasn't looking properly.

Great googling, but with a simple check of my programme I can confirm it was a league 2 fixture, not international.

Seriously though, I thought he was on from the South Upper (maybe not the best view). Having also abused the pause button, I still think he was on. But i can understand how he looked off, and the lino has no benefit of a pause button.

Classic situation where a video ref would be very useful. Doesn't hold the game up any more than consulting a linesman, but with the added benefit of being able to provide clarity where there's doubt.

Mohsni: We were robbed

SOUTHEND United’s makeshift striker Bilel Mohsni felt he was robbed of a winning goal against Northampton Town at Roots Hall on Saturday.

More...

he was 100% offside I'm afraid. Watch the FL show again, pause at the crucial moment and look at the shadows.. shows Bilel ahead of the last defender when the original ball was struck...

he was 100% offside I'm afraid. Watch the FL show again, pause at the crucial moment and look at the shadows.. shows Bilel ahead of the last defender when the original ball was struck...

Mohsni Bilel doesn't have shadows...

It's hard to tell from that angle TBH. HE WAS ONSIDE AND WE WERE ROBBED! :smile:

Back