• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lord Griff

Schoolboy
Gray puts his money on O’s front runners
By Peter King
Comment

WHILE the bookies and experts may have written-off Orient this season striker Wayne Gray believes the club have the fire power to mount a play-off push.

The former MK Dons front man (pictured), who is in his second spell at Brisbane Road following a three-month loan-spell during 2001-02 season is likely to lead the east Londoners' frontline with fellow new recruit Adam Boyd this season.

But Gray, who arrived this summer from Yeovil certainly isn't taking things for granted with Jabo Ibehre and Efe Echanomi ensuring Orient now have one of the strongest striking quartets in League One.

He said: "I'm sure that if we can get the service we will get plenty of goals between the four of us, and if we can also lead from the front in terms of defending, and the boys at the back can keep it tight, then I don't see why we can't be up there in the table." Gray, who prior to his spell with the Glovers had two highly productive seasons at Southend, where he helped them to successive promotions is also relishing facing the Shrimpers on the opening day of the season.

He added: "I am not sure what reaction I will get off their fans and I would like to think having helped Southend to two promotions they would be positive, but if they aren't then so be it. I know that Southend fans have a reputation of treating there ex-players poorly, as I am close friends with Carl Hutchings and I spoke to Scott Houghton recently, but that is football and I will just have to get on with it."

Gray puts his money on O’s front runners
By Peter King
Comment

WHILE the bookies and experts may have written-off Orient this season striker Wayne Gray believes the club have the fire power to mount a play-off push.

The former MK Dons front man (pictured), who is in his second spell at Brisbane Road following a three-month loan-spell during 2001-02 season is likely to lead the east Londoners' frontline with fellow new recruit Adam Boyd this season.

But Gray, who arrived this summer from Yeovil certainly isn't taking things for granted with Jabo Ibehre and Efe Echanomi ensuring Orient now have one of the strongest striking quartets in League One.

He said: "I'm sure that if we can get the service we will get plenty of goals between the four of us, and if we can also lead from the front in terms of defending, and the boys at the back can keep it tight, then I don't see why we can't be up there in the table." Gray, who prior to his spell with the Glovers had two highly productive seasons at Southend, where he helped them to successive promotions is also relishing facing the Shrimpers on the opening day of the season.

He added: "I am not sure what reaction I will get off their fans and I would like to think having helped Southend to two promotions they would be positive, but if they aren't then so be it. I know that Southend fans have a reputation of treating there ex-players poorly, as I am close friends with Carl Hutchings and I spoke to Scott Houghton recently, but that is football and I will just have to get on with it."

not the best people to ask!

But I hope he doesn't get slated, he did score the goal which clinched the L1 title.

"treating there ex-players"

Dear me. you would never see errors like that in Southend interviews.....

Jabo Ibehre and Strong Striker in the same sentence eh? The glass is most definitely full at Brisbane Road then...

As for Wayne's comment, Yes Wayne, If your team score goals and your defence doesn't concede, the general consensus... or rather simple logic, would indicate that you would indeed be around the top of the table.

As for the treatment he'll get, I'll give him a cheer when his name is read out... One of the most undervalued members of the squad we had I feel and wish he'd stayed last season.

I certainly won't be booing Wayne Gray on Saturday even if he is playing for the scum.
Whatever happens he will always be a Southend legend up there with Ian Benjiman for scoring the goal that gave us our greatest ever honour.

i can't make it on saturday but I hope Gray does get a good reception... ok he wasn't the best player but anyone who scores a goal that wins us the League title is a legend IMO and should be shown some Respect!

I remember you guys slaughtered Hutchings and rightly so. How a player who was so crap could have two football league teams fighting for him, defies belief.

Houghton was a tad unfair though - didnt you guys want rid ?

I don't think Gray will be booed excessively, he wasn't a great striker but he played a full part in our promotion push and most fans will recognise this I'm sure.

Ah Wayne Gray...

Comments from his last season with us from fellow Shrimpers:
He's got the touch of a rapist.
He can trap the ball further than I can kick it.
He's just sprinted half the pitch and then demonstrated his patented Falling-on-my-ar5e routine.

Trust me, we've got much better players than Wayne Gray on our books; and half of those are being slated.

I'll still clap him though; I only ever give stick to players that show the club disrespect after they've gone, or let us down big-time - Mark Rawle, Leon Constantine, Michael Ricketts, Nathan Jones etc.

Wayne Gray is talking bollocks here.....Hutchings ****ed off to Orient for a few £ more and Houghton was fat and over weight the whole time he played here.

Some players have come back and got a great reception but he chose to speak to of the worst ****ers to play for us. Short of going for Rawley I cant think of worse people to ask.

Ha, two little fishes and you've even told them what the bait looks like! Superb angling, Sir. :D

Gray will certainly get a good reception from me. He was hugely frustrating to watch at times but he played a decent part in our double promotion.

I don't think Gray will be booed excessively, he wasn't a great striker but he played a full part in our promotion push and most fans will recognise this I'm sure.

Nothing wrong with Wayne Gray, genuine bloke, done a reasonable/good job, now Gutteridge is a different matter, booooooooooooooooooooooo!

Back