• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Come on now, let’s see those chins off the ground. This is what supporting Southend is all about, isn’t it? Agony, frustration and the feeling that the world is ganging up on you? That’s what we do. Ain’t none of us here who signed up for success, glory and blanket coverage on Sky Sports.

We’re Southend United. We’ve been brassic before, we’ve been crap before and we’ve been in the Fourth Division before. We’ll survive, we always do. We’ll come back brighter and, when we do, we’ll hold this memory close to our hearts like the spoils of war. They’ll be streaming out the aisles at The Emirates, fuming at a 0-0 draw, or whinging and whining at White Hart Lane because of a missed penalty, but we’ll know the real meaning of failure and that will make every future glory all the sweeter. This is proper football, away from the glitz and hype of an unbalanced Premier League filled with smarmy multi-millionaire teenagers and hysterical radio phone-ins.

And you know what? Let’s ease up on Ron. Do you think he wants this? Do you really think it’s in his interests to see Southend slide from the second division to the fourth? He’s staking his career on this football team. It’s all gone titsy on his watch, and for that he will be held culpable, but the personal attacks and vengeful rants aren’t really helping anyone.

We’ll always be Southend, whether we’re in the stadium watching them, or sat at home clutching the radio, or marooned in a far off land tapping F5, or even sat in the pressbox at Stamford Bridge trying not dwell on what just happened at The Memorial Stadium.

We’ve got Steve Tilson, a man who lives and breathes this football club. We’ve got a handful of good young players and we’ve got a shirt still worth wearing with pride.

But if that’s not good enough then listen to this chap, who knows a bit about underdogs. He puts it all much better….

This story shall the good Shrimper teach his son
And the end of season shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world.
But we in it shall be remembered ;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers
For he today that watches Southend with me shall be my brother ;
be he ne'er so vile, Tarquin, I‘m looking in your direction, this day shall gentle his condition :
And gentlemen in Essex now a-watching Liverpool
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here.
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us towards the end of the 2009/10 season

hitnail.jpg

I'm not overly concerned with us slipping into the bottom tier of English League football, as Slip rightly says, this has been our lot for most of the club's history. However, I do not think it makes me 'unreasonable' to be concerned about our club being consigned to the wastebasket of history, which, with the upcoming court case, is a very real possibility. I'll gladly get off Ronnie's back when I'm not continually plagued by the worry that my beloved Southend United will disappear into the ether.

its all still too heartbreaking to fully be happy and at peace with things, but this post puts it all into perspective, will be re-reading this when im done throwing up about our current situation.
weve been here before yes, i think a lot of us were just hoping that this time we wouldnt go there again.
we've had some bloody good tmes tho lately, and if we survive im sure there will be more.

rep on the way, solid writing yet again :)

UTB

brilliant post. can't rep because i always am for you. but be safe in the knowledge you are a gentleman amongst gentlemen.

Cant + rep you again but wish I could.

Things are bad and its understandable people are critical at moment, however we have spent nearly our whole history in the bottom two divisions and nothings changed to say that we deserve to be anywhere different.

At least we have the possibility of that changing if diggers ever start work at Fossetts, something we never had previously.

So much of what you say is right but rants and protests against the chairman are also part of our history - like it or not. We've done it before, we are doing now and we'll do it in the future (the next chairman will get it too). I used to love all the protests against Jobson when I was a teenager even if I didn't really know what was going on. It was exciting though and I marvelled at the passion and resolve of older supporters. As you imply, disappointment is important and you're right for not airbrushing out the bad times from supporting Southend. We are not in it for the glory, the gloss and the sheen yet there's no need to deny the conflict that has been part and parcel of our history either. Protests and rants may not 'help' but I think impetuosity is to be encouraged. It's a part of football and part of what distinguishes football (or at least used to distinguish it) from other more civilized or controlled spheres of life. Progress cannot happen through rationality alone.

Back