• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barnard..His recent history before rejoining us left a lot to be desired which continued when he signed so nothing surprising.

Harris..His career was winding down rapidly yet the club offered him a crazy deal which ended in tears.

Freedman..Ditto above.

All 3 were forwards who discovered league 2 won't take any prisoners and we're all daft signings Imo.

I was not excited about LB coming back but I thought it was worth a punt. If he came good then it would have been good business. Still might be yet.

Freeman still looked half handy when he came to us but not after his injury. Unforeseeable circumstances and just unlucky.

Harris looked smart every time I saw him play for us. The team never played to him and his strengths and that was the shame but I don't think it is entirely fair to blame Harris for tactical issues.

Barnard..His recent history before rejoining us left a lot to be desired which continued when he signed so nothing surprising.

Harris..His career was winding down rapidly yet the club offered him a crazy deal which ended in tears.

Freedman..Ditto above.

All 3 were forwards who discovered league 2 won't take any prisoners and we're all daft signings Imo.

actually on the flip side, you speak to a few of the younger players at the time and they loved having Harris and Freedman in the dressing room and around the Club.

I actually thought that both played ok when they played for us, but then again I suppose you was expecting both of them to score a hat trick each game and us to win each game a a canter !

Also, so when we signed these players, did you say at the time that they were awful signings, or are you talking with the ability of hindsight ! thats the thing again with forums, you can never be proved wrong can you (not you, but us ...). Managers and clubs have to take punts on players, otherwise you will never unearth a gem will you !

I was not excited about LB coming back but I thought it was worth a punt. If he came good then it would have been good business. Still might be yet.

Freeman still looked half handy when he came to us but not after his injury. Unforeseeable circumstances and just unlucky.

Harris looked smart every time I saw him play for us. The team never played to him and his strengths and that was the shame but I don't think it is entirely fair to blame Harris for tactical issues.

Surely the point is we all want success and we know the budget is tight so we should be offering these guys pay as they play deals and if they fail get rid thus freeing up the budget for further signings.

Not sure about anyone else but watching high earners sitting in the stands is bad business.

The team weren't good enough to play to his strengths. He was too intelligent and quick thinking for them. That's also the reason Peter Beardsley left Hartlepool. Their fans got on his back for misplaced passes. The problem was he was still seeing things his team mates couldn't, and was playing the ball into space. He was about 2-3 steps ahead of them, and it made him look bad.

Surely the point is we all want success and we know the budget is tight so we should be offering these guys pay as they play deals and if they fail get rid thus freeing up the budget for further signings.

Not sure about anyone else but watching high earners sitting in the stands is bad business.

Why should Barnard, at his age, take a pay as you play deal? Just because PB had him warming the bench did not mean he could not play. As soon as he went to Stevenage he was played and for the full 90+.

Freeman was a sought after player when he came to us but luck intervened.

Harris could have played much more but did not suit a team that fired balls past his earholes all the time.

None of them prior to coming were pay as they play merchants but things did not work out.

Perhaps Worrall, with his bench duties for the first part of the season should have been pay as you play or Clifford now? Of course not.

I actually think you have a point. Based on our recent passed experiences as a club, you'd have to say it would be sensible to be cautious in a situation where a player is possibly passed his best. However, a player isn't going to take a pay as you play deal if they can get a "proper" deal elsewhere.

You therefore have to accept that there is a high chance Barrett won't sign, so don't have a go at PB if it doesn't happen.

Why should Barnard, at his age, take a pay as you play deal? Just because PB had him warming the bench did not mean he could not play. As soon as he went to Stevenage he was played and for the full 90+.

Freeman was a sought after player when he came to us but luck intervened.

Harris could have played much more but did not suit a team that fired balls past his earholes all the time.

None of them prior to coming were pay as they play merchants but things did not work out.

Perhaps Worrall, with his bench duties for the first part of the season should have been pay as you play or Clifford now? Of course not.

I understand none of these 3 were wanted by the then manager which is amazing.

Where do you "understand" that from? My understanding is that the managers couldn't have been happier.

(Speculation doesn't do anyone any favours.)

Well that position has been mooted so many times but never corroborated. I listen to that chestnut as much as I do that Shaq has it written in his loan deal that he must play.

Freedman..Ditto above.

You said they didnt give their all, and all those players cant be accused of lacking in effort which is what you suggested.

Whether they were good signings or not is another question.

Indeed and thats a valid comment, do pay as you play deals really exist though? What player would move to a club knowing they may not get paid?

My speculation for what its with is that the AB situation has little to do with pay or length of contract but the fact that he cannot move to end Jan and what PB really wanted was a loan not a permanent as he expects his CBs all back and fit within a month. However, I would add that if he could get him now an extra CB to the end of the season at least he might go with on the basis he brings something the others don't- i.e. the ability at set pieces.

However, my guess is PB won't wait until end Jan any more than`Neil Ardley would- maybe Gillingham will suddenly change tack in which case it might suddenly be on again..

One minute you're banging on about how you know player xyz's cousin's sister's uncle and they earn blah blah which intimates you know about contracts and the finer dealings of the football world then you spout rubbish like older players should be on pay as you play deals, that's ridiculous, a player who has played at a higher level will attract plenty of offers, the truth is we did well to get Freedman and Harris and other clubs would have offered them deals far better than pay as you play.

Where do you "understand" that from? My understanding is that the managers couldn't have been happier.

(Speculation doesn't do anyone any favours.)

So Phil wanted Barnard then rarely played him!..That is insane likewise Luggy with Freddy,Tilly never wanted Dougie as I believe Dougie was primed to take Tilson's job.

So Phil wanted Barnard then rarely played him!..That is insane likewise Luggy with Freddy,Tilly never wanted Dougie as I believe Dougie was primed to take Tilson's job.

It's as valid an understanding as yours. As I said, speculation is unhelpful.

And in other news Neil Armstrong never walked on the moon and the Queen Mother was a reptilian overlord :smile:

I dont think thats right about Freedman, he was a good signing at the time, he had a fantastic season the year before with Leeds.

The other two I certainly dont think were the manager's choices.

One minute you're banging on about how you know player xyz's cousin's sister's uncle and they earn blah blah which intimates you know about contracts and the finer dealings of the football world then you spout rubbish like older players should be on pay as you play deals, that's ridiculous, a player who has played at a higher level will attract plenty of offers, the truth is we did well to get Freedman and Harris and other clubs would have offered them deals far better than pay as you play.

This club has vast history of signing marquee players on excellent terms which in the main they all failed yet this club continue signing these type of players.

Good business for one person and that is all.

This club has vast history of signing marquee players on excellent terms which in the main they all failed yet this club continue signing these type of players.

They didnt all fail. Goater,Edwards and Prior were instrumental in our success.

Bringing Barrett back would surely fall into the same class yet you want him.

You cant just write off signing anyone over 30 and have to judge each player on its merits. We have made some big mistakes, but also had some great successes.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

The approximate success rate of a marquee signing is similar to that of a non-league starlet trying to make it in the pro game... about 50/50.

A few seasons back I did some research on this and it really is literally hit and miss.

That's football for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back