• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

we will never get gates over 6000

tommytwoholes

I have said all along that if we were to get into a groove both on and off the pitch then we will get decent crowds of over 6000+ every game. People at the time said that even in the old div 1 days we only averaged 6000. Yes but then we had management and players with big egos and bad reputations and a chairman who basically wanted to fcuk the club and fans over. We now have a quality management duo and a chairman who should be praised for taking this football club foward and making us attractive to the local community . If we get the new stadium we be even more likely to attract 8-10,000 fans for every game, but for now i am loving seeing roots hall finally filled with my fellow shrimpers cheering the team on to victory.

Shock!! Positive post recieves no reaction
biggrin.gif

Well, I said the same at the time. It's the indisputable posts that never get any responses!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ April 21 2005,09:22)]Shock!! Positive post recieves no reaction
biggrin.gif
That and the fact that no-one could get on the board between the times of your posts!! However, very valid points made.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ April 20 2005,13:00)]I have said all along that if we were to get into a groove both on and off the pitch then we will get decent crowds of over 6000+ every game. People at the time said that even in the old div 1 days we only averaged 6000. Yes but then we had management and players with big egos and bad reputations and a chairman who basically wanted to fcuk the club and fans over. We now have a quality management duo and a chairman who should be praised for taking this football club foward and making us attractive to the local community . If we get the new stadium we be even more likely to attract 8-10,000 fans for every game, but for now i am loving seeing roots hall finally filled with my fellow shrimpers cheering the team on to victory.
Should we struggle next season(say in League One) the crowds won't be above 6000. In fact they will go back down to the levels of 4/5000 almost immediately.

Even if we do well next season, our crowds will only be around the 6000 average. We'll never have capacity crowds week in week out. That's a fact.

I don't see why we should struggle in league one, providing the team is prepared, and maybe reinforeced for next season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 21 2005,11:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ April 21 2005,09:59)]We'll never have capacity crowds week in week out.  That's a fact.
No, it's an opinion based on supposition

tounge.gif
Not really an opinion, 99 years of attendance history data shows this.

We're too close to London where a lot of people support the 'big clubs'. We'll often get the floaters in when we're doing well(like this season), but as soon as we start languishing around mid-table in whichever division that may be, they won't be interested.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ April 21 2005,11:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 21 2005,11:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ April 21 2005,09:59)]We'll never have capacity crowds week in week out.  That's a fact.
No, it's an opinion based on supposition

tounge.gif
Not really an opinion, 99 years of attendance history data shows this.
Empirical data gets you nowhere in life.

ps you're probably right but less of the pessism!

wink.gif

What is our highest average attendance for a season?

I suspect it is around our current capacity.

Whilst southend are doing well in any league they will get 6-8000 crowds regularly.

Its just one of those things, if SUFC are top of the bottom division they will get 8-9000 to a game, if they are middle of the championship they will get 6-7000.

People in the area arent passionate enough to keep going unless its promotion/cup runs etc.

This may change when (if) the new stadium gets built as it will give the club a good boost and could give them a couple of thousand extra per week, who knows.

Anyway, just think, could be worse, could be Macclesfield who got 2,700 for their biggest game of the season. Class.

I disagree. If you look back to when we were last in a position to get promoted from this league 89/90? Did we get regular crowds over 7-8000? I dont think our average was anywhere near what it is now. Take into consideration aswell that i am sure there were bigger clubs in the lower leagues then. The away supporters back then probably numbered a lot higher than this seasons average of say 250 max. Next season we have some big teams to play plus a few more local games meaning an average away support of maybe 500+. People dont just come to southend for the football anymore . The chairman has been fantastic in really creating a matchday experiance now and homely welcoming feel. I think alot of the new fans will now stay , although if we were really struggling im sure the crowds would drop to say 4-5000. But with the way the club is going i cant see this happening. Last season nothing to play for against Torquay united last home game and a crowd of 9000+ This season last home game Yeovil a crowd of 11000+ expected. Nobody would have thought this possible a few years back. This is not just down to the football we are playing, although that has been a major factor. People enjoy having a drink and taking the kids to the club now. A few seasons ago this was not the case. I predict a mid table finish in league one next year (if we go up)and atleast a 500-1000 gate increase.

I'd like to think we've converted a few of the Cardiff day-trippers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ April 21 2005,11:20)]I disagree. If you look back to when we were last in a position to get promoted from this league 89/90? Did we get regular crowds over 7-8000? I dont think our average was anywhere near what it is now. Take into consideration aswell that i am sure there were bigger clubs in the lower leagues then.
Attendances at pretty much every club hit a low point in the late 80's though, which should be taken into account when looking at figures, just as immediately after the second world war attendances boomed, eg. 46-47 season saw Southend regularly get over 10,000 fans, despite only finishing mid-table.

that might be something to do with the fact that there were little or no seats, with almost eveyone standing, and it was alot cheaper to watch the matches!
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFC Employee @ April 21 2005,13:15)]that might be something to do with the fact that there were little or no seats, with almost eveyone standing, and it was alot cheaper to watch the matches!
rock.gif
Mainly due to the euphoria of winning the Second World War, really, attendances in most things boomed, Cinemas, rugby, horse-racing...

Aggregate attendances immediately post-war were, IIRC, the highest they have ever been. Around the mid-fifties they began to drop off and have never reached that peak again. I've got the figures somewhere at home, I'll have a look tonight...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ April 21 2005,15:03)]Mainly due to the euphoria of winning the Second World War, really, attendances in most things boomed, Cinemas, rugby, horse-racing...
Nothing like a good war to get people through the turnstiles.

World War I was known as the Great War but was it really that great?

Surely World War II with it's more destructive weapons and multiple theatres of conflict was a lot better?

Either way, it was a fantastic effort for the boys to finish in first place ahead of superpowers the USA (2nd) and the USSR (3rd).

I used to stand on the north bank regularly in the 1940s when I was in my twenties and let me tell you it was f**king mental in there with over 15000 crammed in to Roots Hall. The post-war vibe was great even though nobody had mobile phones or Reebok classics. Can you imagine that? Not even being able to take a picture of yer best mate gurning after we'd scored a goal in a live sky match! Even though we finished mid-table we had some great players back then: Mark Beard and Scott Houghton are two that spring to mind.  happy days. Since they knocked down the flats at the south stand and built that poxy terrace that holds 13500 I prefer to sit in the West Stand and shout abuse at Mark Gower and Kevin Maher.
Come on you Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back