• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wealdstone FC 1-2 Southend Utd

Our ‘shocking defending’ giving away ‘needless goals’ isn’t what will cost us next season. We have the best goals conceded in the league. What we actually need to compete next season is more goals and judging by the tables of the last few years about 12-15 of them. More contribution from the midfield needed and another striker unless a preseason as full pro does the trick for Waldron. I wouldn’t be relying on Cardwell. Much as he has had a great season he is not historically prolific.

I have no doubt in my mind if it hadnt been for the points deduction and the throwback from that we would be sitting 3 or 4th in this division , that 10 points deduction actually is worth more than 10 points, RM this is what your greed has done to SUFC. On the subject off who i hope will be promoted with Chesterfield i hope either Bromley because of there awful plastic pitch or Gateshead awful stadium for football .

Our ‘shocking defending’ giving away ‘needless goals’ isn’t what will cost us next season. We have the best goals conceded in the league. What we actually need to compete next season is more goals and judging by the tables of the last few years about 12-15 of them. More contribution from the midfield needed and another striker unless a preseason as full pro does the trick for Waldron. I wouldn’t be relying on Cardwell. Much as he has had a great season he is not historically prolific.
Agreed. The tier 5 defence makes mistakes and we won’t change that. They make less than the other 23 teams.

We need a couple of new forwards, someone with a bit of guile in the hole and I think it’s a great season ahead.

Two great goals and some great saves again from Collin earned us 3 points against Wealdstone who really went for it.

However we were too often sloppy in possession and kept the ball in the first half without creating any meaningful chances.

I thought Wes was woeful when he came on and Dackers not much better. If this was the two of them playing for a contract for next season - cheerio!

The fact that we’re still mathematically able to make the playoffs with 2 games left is nothing short of a miracle given all that has gone on this season.

Two great goals and some great saves again from Collin earned us 3 points against Wealdstone who really went for it.

However we were too often sloppy in possession and kept the ball in the first half without creating any meaningful chances.

I thought Wes was woeful when he came on and Dackers not much better. If this was the two of them playing for a contract for next season - cheerio!

The fact that we’re still mathematically able to make the playoffs with 2 games left is nothing short of a miracle given all that has gone on this season.
Hasn't Wes already signed? I like him though and just had a bad night as did a few others!
Not sure Dackers is the answer but to be fair he has put in some good displays!

About 5000 to 1. Halifax won't lose their last 4 games. Then Aldershot could cash in even if that miracle happens. And even Oldham could finish above us with their game in hand and one point behind.
At least we're in a great position regarding the squad for next season, especially with a few coming in.
Think it might be hard trying to keep 2 or 3 of this squad from being lured away unfortunately.

Not too sure about the goal scoring issue, seven different players on the scoresheet in the last 4 matches. Six goals from midfield.

Last edited:
Wealdstone are a couple of games behind us but its worth knowing that before last night we had lost 6 homes games and Wealdstone only 5. Many of our fans look at club name + standard of ground x number of home fans and come up with a must thrash 4-0 answer.

Forget 5 summer signings and 20+ strikers. We need to make the best of what we have. The fans need to drop the must win game mentality. Both goals last night were from areas all of us have wanted to see more of all season. Another 2 really good but simple finishes, just like the 4 v Wood. That alone will get us in the top 5 without single signing.

We are getting the right people and taking and at least attempting a better corner. We are also looking to cross the ball earlier and from deeper. Even bad crosses have to be dealt with, some good early chances that were all put wide. It certainly numbers game in the NL so when an over hit cross finally ended up at Ralphs feet he got this finish just right.

Some other plus points I have noticed over the last few games is using our strikers more in open play.....Into Cardwell feet rather than Bridge at all costs and DW into the channels. Yes not as effective with outcome last night but Danny keeps a back 4 pinned back and having to think and deal with channel ball. That creates some room in the middle. Plus it seems that JB is more positive with less service not more

How many times have you seen Husin or Coker and wanted them to do just what Miley did last night for the second goal. They certainly have the ability and can shoot. Perhaps someone should explain to Kev... We don't want to see 35yd wild shots. We love seeing a midfielder driving at the heart of their defence as it opens up all sorts of options. If you watch the highlights you'll see for second Miley was reluctant to do it. Looking for that extra pass and then thought f*** it.....Might as well go and win the game myself.

Having said all that, my man of the season rescues us with once again the best saves of the match. Ralph has been outstanding as a captain and makeshift 3rd CB, Taylor improved greatly and Harry C is right up their in that most vital of rolls....For workrate alone.

However since he came back leaner and sharper from injury he has hardly made a mistake. Started the season as a nervous lad but with potential.....Finishes it as a man, a top barking orders at his defence man. Ladies and gentlemen I give you Mr Collin ( the keeper) Andeng-Ndi.

Last edited:
Our goal scoring totals are not far off the mark, when you look back to the Christmas period and just beyond.. We were short of at least one forward for a good period once Callum was injured. We had Jack Wood playing out of position, Kabongolo and Vilhete had games up front. No wonder we struggled for a while to score.

Without the Transfer Embargo and the 10 point deduction, pretty sure we would have finished in the top 4.

Enjoyed watching on the stream, thought we should have dominated but fair play to Wealdstone who put up a good fight. It was interesting to hear their poor lonely bloke on commentary bemoaning how frustrating a player Nathan Ferguson was for them! They looked a ton better after he went off and really put us to the sword for the final moments. Sensible to then bring Bridgey off, who'd been put under so much pressure on that side, and bring Nathan out to cover with Woodman slotting in the middle of defence.

Cav and Collin were our stand out players, although Cav was guilty of being caught in possession a couple of times, as were a number of other usually careful players. Collin saved the day again, with a superb display of goal stopping.

Bridge and Gus worked hard down the sides, with others in support. I thought there were a few who looked a bit tired - Morton, Waldron and Coker in particular. Defensively solid, even though usually reliable Harry Taylor made a couple of uncharacteristic errors.

We really doesn't do himself favours at times, a disappointing sub performance. Commentator was saying how much trouble Dackers had always given them in the past but he didn't reproduce that last night.

Collin - 9, MOTM
Gus - 7
Taylor - 7
Kensdale - 7
Ralph - 7.5
Bridge - 7
Miley - 8
Morton - 6.5
Coker - 6.5
Waldron - 6.5
Cardwell - 7.5

Subs:
Fonguck for Morton - 6
Dackers for Waldron - 6.5

Thought the officials were decent, barely noticed them and no quibbles about the cards dished out.

So, my first visit to Wealdstone’s ground and I enjoyed it, the view from the terrace was decent and the journey home on the train straightforward. Won’t make Fylde so just one game left now. The fact these lads are still fighting and are within touching distance (frustratingly) of the play offs is amazing. We can play the game of “what if” but we can also look at 14 unbeaten and it bodes well for next season.

Collin again had a blinder. We weren’t at our best but Cav deserved a goal, look what happens when you shoot :) .. Ralph class as we now expect. I like Waldron and Cards as a front two, I really do. Both could’ve scored headers.

We played some decent stuff at times without really hurting them but we came away with all 3 points. We’re learning as a squad and trying to do the right things and try new things. They looked like a side scrapping for survival. I fear for them with so many games in a short period.

Wealdstone are a couple of games behind us but its worth knowing that before last night we have had lost 6 homes games and Wealdstone only 5. Many of our fans look at club name + standard of ground x number of home fans and come up with a must thrash 4-0 answer.

Forget 5 summer signings and 20+ strikers. We need to make the best of what we have. The fans need to drop the must win game mentality. Both goals last night were from areas all of us have wanted to see more of all season. Another 2 really good but simple finishes, just like the 4 v Wood. That alone will get us in the top 5 without single signing.

We are getting the right people and taking and at least attempting a better corner. We are also looking to cross the ball earlier and from deeper. Even bad crosses have to be dealt with, some good early chances that were all put wide. It certainly numbers game in the NL so when an over hit cross finally ended up at Ralphs feet he got this finish just right.

Some other plus points I have noticed over the last few games is using our strikers more in open play.....Into Cardwell feet rather than Bridge at all costs and DW into the channels. Yes not as effective with outcome last night but Danny keeps a back 4 pinned back and having to think and deal with channel ball. That creates some room in the middle. Plus it seems that JB is more positive with less service not more

How many times have you seen Husin or Coker and wanted them to do just what Miley did last night for the second goal. They certainly have the ability and can shoot. Perhaps someone should explain to Kev... We don't want to see 35yd wild shots. We love seeing a midfielder driving at the heart of their defence as it opens up all sorts of options. If you watch the highlights you'll see for second Miley was reluctant to do it. Looking for that extra pass and then thought f*** it.....Might as well go and win the game myself.

Having said all my man of the season saves us with once again the best saves of the match. Ralph has been outstanding as a captain and makeshift 3rd CB, Taylor improved greatly and Harry C is right up their in that most vital of rolls....For workmate alone.

However since he came back leaner and sharper from injury he has hardly made a mistake. Started the season as a nervous lad but with potential.....Finishes it as a man, a top barking orders at his defence man. Ladies and gentlemen I give you Mr Collin ( the keeper) Andeng-Ndi.
Totally agree with you. Collin is certainly my Player of the Year, I hope we manage to keep him for another season, but he will move on at some point and make the Club some decent money.

Not a great watch with some our passing and control pretty sloppy. Maybe the strong wind played a part in our not being able to threaten despite having the first 30 mins of total control, but that feels generous. However we got the job done, scrappy though it was. Collin to the last minute rescue again.
Thought their commentator on NLTV did a good job and remained objective and honest for the 77mins I saw, 'til I lost connection. Then it was the mighty Nick A to see me through the final heartstoppinv moments.
I don't think we'll make the play-offs and the tragedy is that no future record will show that fact asterixed with the rider "Solely due to the greed and selfishness of the, then, club chairman'.
COYB!

Back