• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

JPT Final or Promotion?

• Total voters
That anybody wouldn't value this opportunity represents the attitude of many football people today.

So many fans across the spectrum would rather:
4th place in Premier League over winning the FA Cup.
Staying up in the Premier League over winning the FA Cup.
Promotion over a cup final at Wembley.

Who would forget a cup final at Wembley?

In 20 years time I won't remember which league we were in this season. Or next season. But I will remember the exact day I got to see SUFC at Wembley in a cup final, something nobody who has supported our club since its existence has been able to say.

This would so much more than a day out. This could be something to remember forever.

I think the same about Portsmouth. They're having a torrid time now, but they won the FA Cup. Nobody can take that day away from them. Those days are why we watch us lose to Accrington at home. They make up for it. And let's not forget, Crawley and Stevenage are L1 - we hardly escape these sorts of teams by going up.

It depends how you value the competition and just like many cup competitions a lot of clubs don't value the JPT which takes the gloss off of it. There are no real big money spinners unless you get to the final of your region. It's a few extra games against teams you play against in the league and we would all rather get promoted than have these distractions that increase the chance of injury.

Thankyou very much, the lower league Arsene Wenger

Most of the teams play their second XI in the competition, that shows how much it means to the clubs. Even in Football Manager, the Chairman generally tells you that he couldn't give two hoots about the competition and I doubt this is out of line with what RM tells PS pre-season.

Yes it's a day out at Wembley, but I can't see how people value this competition over making the play-off final.....And judging by the teams that are fielded in the earlier rounds, it seems my views are in line with most managers in the third and fourth tiers.

I'm more annoyed at the fact we are now without Timlin following his broken leg than I am pleased to have one foot in the final.

I'm with MK and Smiffy I don't think we have a prayer of either. Basically, we are just not good enough for promotion; and the O's will smash us next week.

I agree with you - I don't think we are good enough for either....HOWEVER....we only have to scrape one lucky draw to get to Wembley....there's a much better chance of that than us going on a good enough run to get promotion.

I'm with MK and Smiffy I don't think we have a prayer of either. Basically, we are just not good enough for promotion; and the O's will smash us next week.

I don't think it is about not being good enough, just that our team has been crippled with injuries and bad luck. A 2-1 loss against the team who are 3rd in the league with 3 out of the regular back 4 (still think PS would rather have Phillips & Cresswell as his number 1 pairing, despite how well Prosser has been playing) and no Timlin or Tomlin isn't a terrible result in the circumstances.

I don't think it is about not being good enough, just that our team has been crippled with injuries and bad luck. A 2-1 loss against the team who are 3rd in the league with 3 out of the regular back 4 (still think PS would rather have Phillips & Cresswell as his number 1 pairing, despite how well Prosser has been playing) and no Timlin or Tomlin isn't a terrible result in the circumstances.

I reckon a defeat is a terrible result because it gets you zero points.

That anybody wouldn't value this opportunity represents the attitude of many football people today.

So many fans across the spectrum would rather:
4th place in Premier League over winning the FA Cup.
Staying up in the Premier League over winning the FA Cup.
Promotion over a cup final at Wembley.

Who would forget a cup final at Wembley?

In 20 years time I won't remember which league we were in this season. Or next season. But I will remember the exact day I got to see SUFC at Wembley in a cup final, something nobody who has supported our club since its existence has been able to say.

This would so much more than a day out. This could be something to remember forever.

I think the same about Portsmouth. They're having a torrid time now, but they won the FA Cup. Nobody can take that day away from them. Those days are why we watch us lose to Accrington at home. They make up for it. And let's not forget, Crawley and Stevenage are L1 - we hardly escape these sorts of teams by going up.

Yes great it will create some history.

But, that is a ****ing selfish attitude. Everyone loves a big day out but surely with a club that has such bleak finances that surely in 20 years time you would rather have a club you can still support rather than remember the club you used to support who have have folded.

Much more money to be had from going up and bigger attendances etc in my opinion.

you made the point yourself - Portsmouth may not have a club left to support in the not too distant future!

If we get there we'll wanna win it. If we get there and don't win it, it will have been a day out!

Primarily i'd take the promotion.

Yes great it will create some history.

But, that is a ****ing selfish attitude. Everyone loves a big day out but surely with a club that has such bleak finances that surely in 20 years time you would rather have a club you can still support rather than remember the club you used to support who have have folded.

Much more money to be had from going up and bigger attendances etc in my opinion.

you made the point yourself - Portsmouth may not have a club left to support in the not too distant future!

It's obviously not worth it if the club folds. Portsmouth have not folded. I obviously reserve the right to change my mind if they did.

Selfish? Nah. I want it most for those older Shrimpers, who have been watching Southend for 30/40/50 years. I'm 22 and fancy our chances of making Wembley in my lifetime. Not necessarily going to happen in my Dad's, though.

In the mean time, I've spent 14 of 17 years watching Southend in L1 or L2. In 17 years time, whichever league we were in for the 2013/14 season would be quite irrelevant. A cup final will never be irrelevant.

I wasn't asking, I was telling.

And I was telling you that you don't speak for everyone.

I'm not even sure I buy the financial argument. Promotion might bring increased revenue but it also brings higher costs. A trip to Wembley can also generate substantial revenue and goodwill.

Timlin's injury was unfortunate but could have happened in any game. Other than that, I believe our cup games have done us more good than harm. They've given the team confidence through winning matches, they've brought in extra revenue which we've re-invested in the squad and they've created goodwill and a buzz.

If we get there we'll wanna win it. If we get there and don't win it, it will have been a day out!

Primarily i'd take the promotion.

And thats the crux of it, the likely scenario if we get there is we will get beaten.

Wembley will be a fantastic experience, but Id rather be in League One next year than have a memory of losing at Wembley.

That said Im not one to say we would be better off not being in the JPT, Im over the moon we are one draw away from a Wembley appearance. If it was a straight choice I would take promotion, but it isnt we can still achieve both, or neither.

I'm not even sure I buy the financial argument. Promotion might bring increased revenue but it also brings higher costs. A trip to Wembley can also generate substantial revenue and goodwill.

Timlin's injury was unfortunate but could have happened in any game. Other than that, I believe our cup games have done us more good than harm. They've given the team confidence through winning matches, they've brought in extra revenue which we've re-invested in the squad and they've created goodwill and a buzz.

I don't recall everyone getting quite so animated in the first round of the JPT when we had under 2,000 fans at the ground. Of course you can get injured in any match but when you add further fixtures to an already hectic fixture schedule then you are increasing the chance of injury and even burnout. All the wealthy clubs do mid-season breaks now to rest physically and mentally. That says a lot about what they think of the fixture schedule. Yes, we have had a good run this year and yes it has helped but at what cost? A few knocks and a serious injury. What if we went out early on and and we picked up a serious injury? It's all good to ride the wave and I am all for that - it's nothing to turn your nose up at but if come the start of a season you ask me and other fans about priorities don't tell me that people would rank a day out at Wembley above promotion? Promotion could also come via Wembley. That's nonsense. I'm sure fans would rather a good run in the FA Cup playing some big teams. But as I say it would seem that you and others are being blinded by this potential day out at Wembley which has all of a sudden added meaning to the competition.

If you don't buy into the financial argument then to me that sounds like you don't want Southend to progress. Of course you do but how can you use increased costs as a reason to choose JPT over the league? Surely not. If we could have it all then we would but surely going up the leagues is what will help to secure our future with everything that comes with it rather than a JPT final at Wembley?!

As did the vibrator I bought my missus for Valentine's Day.

Perhaps we should just cancel next Wednesday's match? Most people seem to believe the result is a foregone conclusion.

Either way there is far too much negativity across the Zone right now, is it that time of the month really?

Failing automatic promotion I would prefer a day out at Wembley in May. Missed our Final against Lincoln and would love to have another opportunity. I'm afraid I would far prefer a play-off final trophy (is there one?) than a JPT trophy. The former you bask in the glow of for the following season(s) .............the latter is just an afternoon thrill.
Here is the L2 play-off trophy, ah the memories
493863_450_450_0_0_fit_0_7217e33d05f27e3bc554dc34825bef07.jpg

Back