• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

JPT Final or Promotion?

• Total voters
I'm with Museshrimper and YB here. Let's have some glory that stays with us forever.

1. What if, as is likely we will be playing another L1 side, we lose? That glory still good enough ? (Personally just playing there will be great).

2. If we do go and even win, if we then finish 9th how many people will say "oh thats ok we won the JPT Im happy to be in League Two" ?

The JPT final will be a great memory to have, but fans will be more peeved come the end of season if we dont go up and win the cup than the other way around.

Here is the L2 play-off trophy, ah the memories
493863_450_450_0_0_fit_0_7217e33d05f27e3bc554dc34825bef07.jpg

A play off win beats both automatic promotion and JPT :smile:

Yes great it will create some history.

But, that is a ****ing selfish attitude. Everyone loves a big day out but surely with a club that has such bleak finances that surely in 20 years time you would rather have a club you can still support rather than remember the club you used to support who have have folded.

Much more money to be had from going up and bigger attendances etc in my opinion.

you made the point yourself - Portsmouth may not have a club left to support in the not too distant future!

Why would going up guarantee bigger attendances. I thought people on here who dont go is because of RM!!

Basic facts are that there are still a lot of small teams in League One who wont bring many more fans than some in league two. Are you saying that we would get a bigger crowd versus Hartlepool than we would agaisnt Rochdale? It would annoy me to think that the stay away fans are pruely becasue we are in League Two, that is only punishing the club financially and i would question whether they are fans at all!! Support your club through thick and thin!! Plus this is slightly off track from the original post.

It depends how you value the competition and just like many cup competitions a lot of clubs don't value the JPT which takes the gloss off of it. There are no real big money spinners unless you get to the final of your region. It's a few extra games against teams you play against in the league and we would all rather get promoted than have these distractions that increase the chance of injury.

Then what is the point of supporting a football club? I genuinely don't get it. Why waste all this time and money following the club up and down the country if not for chasing the one day that isn't **** out of 6,000 that are?

Putting aside the financial factor which none of us can control, does anyone on here really give a single solitary **** what division we're in? Sure, you've got the floating fans but whether we're playing Rochdale, Aston Villa, Sheffield United or Alfreton Town surely we'll all be at every match that we can be?

It just strikes me as weird that any football fan - especially a fan of a small club - wouldn't want to grast this rare opportunity with both hands. There's always another league game.

Hmm cant see either TBH, but would take the JPT Final over promotion. I love a big day out and since Chelsea away we haven't really had one.

It's obviously not worth it if the club folds. Portsmouth have not folded. I obviously reserve the right to change my mind if they did.

Selfish? Nah. I want it most for those older Shrimpers, who have been watching Southend for 30/40/50 years. I'm 22 and fancy our chances of making Wembley in my lifetime. Not necessarily going to happen in my Dad's, though.

In the mean time, I've spent 14 of 17 years watching Southend in L1 or L2. In 17 years time, whichever league we were in for the 2013/14 season would be quite irrelevant. A cup final will never be irrelevant.

Again, perhaps the league that we are in would be irrelevant to you. But, for Southend as a club that couldn't be further from the truth. With our building works at Fossets and our dire financial situation it would be a step in the right direction to get promotion. I think we need to achieve that as quickly as possible and I will think you will find that is one of Ron's aims. I seem to recall that he aspires to be back in the Championship. If he was making those comments for good measure he would have said he wants to be winning the Premier League but in fact he has a game plan and that is what we are working towards.

Let's never lose sight of the fact that as Southend fans everyone wants the best but sometimes it would seem that varies from person to person. People think having a cup winning team is great - sure it is great. But in my eyes you support the club, not just the first team. You need to try to understand all of the efforts that go into running the great football team that is and realise that isn't just made possible by a Wembley JPT final. That is why I always choose league over JPT. The long term future of the club means everything. I'd rather secure Southend's legacy for generations after you and I if I could and sacrifice a JPT cup final.

Maybe we are looking at this from slightly different angles but I know we both want the best for the club.

At this moment in time, this week and with our injury situation I don't think we'll get anywhere near going up. On the whole, promotion is far preferable to the final, but getting to Wembley (we only need a draw) is the easier/less hard option. If we lose the next four games then promotion is probably out of the question. If we draw one of them, that will still be the case, but if it's the right one we go to Wembley. Of course it's just a day out, but what a day out.

Timlin's broken leg should be an incentive to win, not a reason say that the JPT is irrelevant. He's more likely to get a future contract if we get there, and it was important enough to him to go in for that challenge.

It's obviously not worth it if the club folds. Portsmouth have not folded. I obviously reserve the right to change my mind if they did.

Selfish? Nah. I want it most for those older Shrimpers, who have been watching Southend for 30/40/50 years. I'm 22 and fancy our chances of making Wembley in my lifetime. Not necessarily going to happen in my Dad's, though.

In the mean time, I've spent 14 of 17 years watching Southend in L1 or L2. In 17 years time, whichever league we were in for the 2013/14 season would be quite irrelevant. A cup final will never be irrelevant.

Great post and partly the point is was making with the orignal thread.

Why would going up guarantee bigger attendances. I thought people on here who dont go is because of RM!!

Basic facts are that there are still a lot of small teams in League One who wont bring many more fans than some in league two. Are you saying that we would get a bigger crowd versus Hartlepool than we would agaisnt Rochdale? It would annoy me to think that the stay away fans are pruely becasue we are in League Two, that is only punishing the club financially and i would question whether they are fans at all!! Support your club through thick and thin!! Plus this is slightly off track from the original post.

It will, it always does.

And yes some of those anti-Ron stay aways will conveniently forget their protest if we were in a league above. using Ron as a reason for not going is a very convenient excuse not to go and not be labelled disloyal. It may annoy you, but its just one of those things, every club sees a drop in attendance when they go down and an increase when they go up.

A better standard of football tends to be the reason. Better players on show etc. I'm not talking one off games - I'm talking across a season. Attendances will only go one way with promotion and they will go the other way with relegation.

Then what is the point of supporting a football club? I genuinely don't get it. Why waste all this time and money following the club up and down the country if not for chasing the one day that isn't **** out of 6,000 that are?

Putting aside the financial factor which none of us can control, does anyone on here really give a single solitary **** what division we're in? Sure, you've got the floating fans but whether we're playing Rochdale, Aston Villa, Sheffield United or Alfreton Town surely we'll all be at every match that we can be?

It just strikes me as weird that any football fan - especially a fan of a small club - wouldn't want to grast this rare opportunity with both hands. There's always another league game.

Exactly!

And why does anybody concern themselves with the finances? None of us can affect them, apart from going every week.

If you get your kick out of those subsidising the club having to pay in a bit less to cover the losses for a short time, instead of memorable days and great experiences watching Southend United, why go to football?

Agree with what you say, but I do care.

League One means bigger crowds (albeit doubt more than 6,000) so a better atmosphere, derby games against Col U and Orient, games against bigger teams, and being able to attract better players and hopefully as a result watch better football.

That doesnt mean a cup final wouldnt be a great thing to have.

1. What if, as is likely we will be playing another L1 side, we lose? That glory still good enough ? (Personally just playing there will be great).

2. If we do go and even win, if we then finish 9th how many people will say "oh thats ok we won the JPT Im happy to be in League Two" ?

The JPT final will be a great memory to have, but fans will be more peeved come the end of season if we dont go up and win the cup than the other way around.

I think if Swansea win the League Cup and finish 9th in the league they would be happy. If we win the JPT and finish 9th then thats ok with me. If we are good enough, then we are good enough simple as that. Yes we have been unlucky with injuries but so do all teams, thats part of the game, over 46 games the table doesnt lie.

But why are the two mutually exclusive?

Look... I agree that as a fan you make the most of these days.

But look at the attendances that we and other clubs have had for this competition. That isn't coincedence. That shows you the value of this competition. As discussed on other threads - as soon as some prestige comes about then the fans come back but it wouldn't appear to me that all fans were smoking off the concept of winning the JPT at the start of the competition.

We can't control where we are - no. But my point is not to detract from the gloss of a Wembley final but more to debate how a Wembley Day out is more important than our league finish. I, 100%, believe that we should grasp the opportunity that has come our way and saviour the day but I like many others at the start of a season would always prioritise the league over the JPT because it is over many more games and it will go further to securing our future and playing a better standard of football.

I think if Swansea win the League Cup and finish 9th in the league they would be happy. If we win the JPT and finish 9th then thats ok with me. If we are good enough, then we are good enough simple as that. Yes we have been unlucky with injuries but so do all teams, thats part of the game, over 46 games the table doesnt lie.

Thats a completely different scenario.

Swansea finishing 9th in the premiership is a massive achievement, us finishing 9th is a failure.

Id be interested to know how Brum fans feel winning the league cup and now languishing in the CCC.

Back