• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The season starts Saturday, thats when we start judging!

A good result on Saturday and the world will seem a different and far better place.
A bad result and probably best to avoid the zone for a few days whilst the angry brigade let off steam.

How would the confidence of lets say, Scotland be if:

A) they lost 0-6 to Argentina in a friendly international and then 0-4 to Russia in a tournament? Both superior sides.

B) They beat San Marino 5-0 away in a friendly? A victory against an inferior side.

Winning is the key.

Id guess they wouldnt care about the loss as it was expected.

Winning certainly breeds confidence but theres no point beating themselves up after losing to a championship and premiership side.

I went on Tuesday and it was very poor. The team looked as if they were lacking in confidence and never looked like threatening Posh. Losing may be understandable as they are a Championship side and we had players missing but without picking out specific players we were generally woeful and looking for hit and hope passes.

Saturday will be the real test, of course, but it would appear that several players may be unavailable through injury or at best not fully fit e.g. Tomlin, Harris, Cresswell, Martin. Phillips got a bit of a knock too but hopefully he can shake that off. Midfield is currently like an open door but let's hope that's being addressed as I type.

First league game of the season at home and I can't say I'm optimistic about getting a good result.

I've missed most of pre season and am looking forward to tomorrow. Clearly the consensus is for a midfielder and probably securing a 1st choice keeper longer term. If we have a poor start to the season, let's not get too downhearted. Swindon were near the bottom in September last year and went up as champs!

I've missed most of pre season and am looking forward to tomorrow. Clearly the consensus is for a midfielder and probably securing a 1st choice keeper longer term. If we have a poor start to the season, let's not get too downhearted. Swindon were near the bottom in September last year and went up as champs!

Swindon have money..That's a bit of an advantage!

5-0 is always a great result and boosts confidence.

0-6 and 0-4 on the bounce, are poor results and sap confidence.

Is the nature of sport!

How would the confidence of lets say, Scotland be if:

A) they lost 0-6 to Argentina in a friendly international and then 0-4 to Russia in a tournament? Both superior sides.

B) They beat San Marino 5-0 away in a friendly? A victory against an inferior side.

Winning is the key.

Id guess they wouldnt care about the loss as it was expected.

Winning certainly breeds confidence but theres no point beating themselves up after losing to a championship and premiership side.

I do have a few reservations about this season, only due to the perception that we really do not seem to be ready for the new season - squad not really complete etc...

But agree 100% - the results of the last two games will have little or no impact on how we will perform against Accrington when the serious stuff starts....Tottenham "reserves" and Peterborough are light years ahead of us in terms of ability - losing these games has no effect on the upcoming league game.....Every member of the squad could have played to the best of their ability on Tuesday and we could still have lost 4-0...Peterborough are much much better than us, people need to understand this....it may have been Tottenham reserves, but I'll wager all of their players would walk into any Championship side......on the flip side, we could have played worse and won or drawn the games, would this have made us more likely to beat Accrington on saturday?

Winning may well be key at times, but I sincerely doubt that applies to pre-season friendlies.

I do have a few reservations about this season, only due to the perception that we really do not seem to be ready for the new season - squad not really complete etc...

But agree 100% - the results of the last two games will have little or no impact on how we will perform against Accrington when the serious stuff starts....Tottenham "reserves" and Peterborough are light years ahead of us in terms of ability - losing these games has no effect on the upcoming league game.....Every member of the squad could have played to the best of their ability on Tuesday and we could still have lost 4-0...Peterborough are much much better than us, people need to understand this....it may have been Tottenham reserves, but I'll wager all of their players would walk into any Championship side......on the flip side, we could have played worse and won or drawn the games, would this have made us more likely to beat Accrington on saturday?

Winning may well be key at times, but I sincerely doubt that applies to pre-season friendlies.

The teams we have played in pre-season is a key issue. We have played premier & championship teams and Spanish teams who play in a way which is completely different to league 2. In addition, we played lower league teams and with the possible exception of Braintree, none will play like teams we will meet in league 2 this year. It doesn't seem like the best preparation for the new season.

I’ve been told by a very reliable club source that they willbe giving away free razor blades to the first 10 Zone members who wish to shedblood on the pitch before the Stanley game as an offering to the gods offootball. This of course does not entitle you to free admission, health care orfree beer at the Spread. It’s time, to suck it in and look forward to the next9 months of roller coaster ride being a Southend supporter

There was no point in us signing Brogan anyway as Sturrock only likes to play with one natural winger it seems!!

Not sure what to make of that. I thought he was something special? Obviously not many others did if the best he can manage is the Blue Square north. Thats Chelmsford / Billericay level albeit the northern half.

Back