• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What have you watched on TV?

It's on my list. One of the producers who I went to school with is a shrimper.
Me and the other half are watching episode 2 tonight. I've recently started dabbling in stocks and shares and was wondering to myself if I should have looked into this earlier in life and maybe looked at a career in this area, One episode of this and I thought f**k that haha

Thought the 1st episode was quite promising

The second episode was awful.

No plot progression and relied on sex and nudity to pad it out.

That said I used to work for the US bank on which Pierpont is based and the trading floor and clothes are bang on.

I sat on the trading desk (although I was in technology) and most of the sales people and traders would be more likely to be training for a triathlon in the gym than out drinking and doing coke.

Me and the other half are watching episode 2 tonight. I've recently started dabbling in stocks and shares and was wondering to myself if I should have looked into this earlier in life and maybe looked at a career in this area, One episode of this and I thought f**k that haha

The days of the Essex boy in the city are long gone.

What I mean is the days of a sixteen year old in a Concept Man suit rising through the ranks are long gone.
I have a friend who is certainly not the brightest spark who managed to back in the early noughties, maybe the last generation able to do this? It seems like he only kept his job as he was a source of amusement, would do stupid stuff to entertain everyone and was the guy everyone wanted to take out with them for "work lunches" and "evening drinks". Earns ridiculously well for someone with little talent, although a lot of that goes on cocaine. Reading back this paints a picture of quite a horrible guy but he is actually a really nice guy.

I have a friend who is certainly not the brightest spark who managed to back in the early noughties, maybe the last generation able to do this? It seems like he only kept his job as he was a source of amusement, would do stupid stuff to entertain everyone and was the guy everyone wanted to take out with them for "work lunches" and "evening drinks". Earns ridiculously well for someone with little talent, although a lot of that goes on cocaine. Reading back this paints a picture of quite a horrible guy but he is actually a really nice guy.

The thing is these are the first people to be let go when times are hard.

I know quite a few people who had decent jobs despite not having a degree and were let go following the 2008 recession.

Very few managed to get back in the game and most are doing something completely different these days.

It's a fate that awaits many in their 40s - there comes a point where you are not going any further in your career but still expect a pay rise and possibly bonus every year.

There is always a steady supply of 20/30 somethings that will do the job for less money.

I know quite a few people who had decent jobs despite not having a degree and were let go following the 2008 recession.

Very few managed to get back in the game and most are doing something completely different these days.

It's a fate that awaits many in their 40s - there comes a point where you are not going any further in your career but still expect a pay rise and possibly bonus every year.

There is always a steady supply of 20/30 somethings that will do the job for less money.

Yeah- loads of people I know who were in the City in the early 2000s have either stayed in one position; moved careers completely or semi retired.

The second episode was awful.

No plot progression and relied on sex and nudity to pad it out.

That said I used to work for the US bank on which Pierpont is based and the trading floor and clothes are bang on.

I sat on the trading desk (although I was in technology) and most of the sales people and traders would be more likely to be training for a triathlon in the gym than out drinking and doing coke.
I switched it off after 15 mins

Yep 100%, this is one of the reasons I fell relatively safe in my job, I'm not well paid by city standards and work a lot harder than a lot of people that earn more than me. The hole i'd leave in relation to what the company would save by making me redundant would be problematic. We have several people on consultation at the moment, all at management level, mostly the graduate types that walk into a high paid job without any experience in the industry.

Pennyworth - Amazon Prime TV. Very black, very good drama with dark humour and violence.

Enjoyed watching the full length Miles Davis documentary The Birth of the Cool on BBC 4 again last night.First saw it last year with our younger daughter and her boyfriend at a packed cinema near the central university here in Barna's In-Edit (music documentary festival).Sadly, the festival went online only, earlier this month.Still there's always next year I suppose.

Am just getting into Trial 4 on Netflix. An interesting and good watch so far.

Saw Bury: Bringing Football Back. 0n BBC3 last night.Excellent documentary.Couldn't happen to us could it? A salutory watch for all Blues fans.

Yes, I watched that too, was sad to see what happened and always special memories of Gigg Lane for us older Blues fans. Interesting how the phoenix club split the supporters.

Back