• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What have you watched on TV?

Small Axe-Education.Steve Mcqueen's take on esn schools.This 5 part series has been the best thing on the box recently.

Loved the scene where the (presumably well meaning ) ESN teacher sings his version of House of the Rising Sun and claims it was a song by the Animals.Er-- Oh no it wasn't.

Er, yes it was a song by the Animals. As in performed by, arranged by, popularised by etc.

Er, yes it was a song by the Animals. As in performed by, arranged by, popularised by etc.

And as any folkie can tell you, it was a track off Dylan's first album which he learnt from Dave Von Ronk,who in turn probably learnt it from Blind Gary Davis (since DVR was a former guitar student of his.In any case before that it was a traditional Blues tune.

And thank you I'm old enough to remember the Animals version of the song very well indeed.Interestingly Eric Burden was miffed that Alan Price got the song writing arrangement credit for HOTRS (another joke in itself) when EB was the main singer.Alan Price incidentally was familiar with Dylan's album which Burden wouldn't have been.

Edit .There's even a version of the song by Woody Guthrie on Youtube:-

Apparently Leadbelly sang an earlier version of the song with the same lyrics entiled Down in New Orleans.

Last edited:
And as any folkie can tell you, it was a track off Dylan's first album which he learnt from Dave Von Ronk,who in turn probably learnt it from Blind Gary Davis (since DVR was a former guitar student of his.In any case before that it was a traditional Blues tune.

And thank you I'm old enough to remember the Animals version of the song very well indeed.Interestingly Eric Burden was miffed that Alan Price got the song writing arrangement credit for HOTRS (another joke in itself) when EB was the main singer.Alan Price incidentally was familiar with Dylan's album which Burden wouldn't have been.

Edit .There's even a version of the song by Woody Guthrie on Youtube:-

Apparently Leadbelly sang an earlier version of the song with the same lyrics entiled Down in New Orleans.

That reply was called 'kicking arse'

Thought we had selected a film called This is Us on Amazon fire stick.

Really excellent first 45 minutes and then it ended and tee'd up S1 Ep2.

Must have had too much claret that night but now into S1 Ep7 and highly recommend

Anyone watching His Dark Materials ? It's got to be 15 years or so since I read the books and they're still packed in a box under my son's bed so I can't research it by re-reading! Can anyone remind me how and why Mrs Coulter controls the spectres?

The Ripper - Netflix.

Tragic to see how many of the victims were thought of.
Yes this was much more interesting and illuminating that I thought it would be. I worry that watching these shows is a bit gratuitous, but it was very interesting about how the police and media portrayed the victims, and the feminist uprising in Leeds/northern universities that came out of the awful victim-blaming.

So so many **** ups in the investigation as well.

Last edited:
Yes this was much more interesting and illuminating that I thought it would be. I worry that watching these shows is a bit gratuitous, but it was very interesting about how the police and media portrayed the victims, and the feminist uprising in Leeds/northern universities that came out of the awful victim-blaming.

So so many **** ups in the investigation as well.
The Last Podcast on the Left did a great podcast on this as well

Watched the White Riot doc about the Rock Against Racism movement last night (recorded from Sky Arts a while back). Really good, some shocking footage of our recent past - hard to believe that the NF were polling at almost 20% in some areas of London in the mid-1970s.

Any Zoners attend either of those first 2 London RAR carnivals?

Watched the White Riot doc about the Rock Against Racism movement last night (recorded from Sky Arts a while back). Really good, some shocking footage of our recent past - hard to believe that the NF were polling at almost 20% in some areas of London in the mid-1970s.

Any Zoners attend either of those first 2 London RAR carnivals?
I was at the 90's one in Brockwell Park and the 00's one in Victoria Park but a bit too young for the 70's ones. I did go to an anti-apartheid one in Clapham Common in the 80's when I was about 15 - ANC Choir and Simple Minds are the only acts I can remember.

Agreed it's an inspiring documentary, shows what you can do with energy and drive.

I was at the 90's one in Brockwell Park and the 00's one in Victoria Park but a bit too young for the 70's ones. I did go to an anti-apartheid one in Clapham Common in the 80's when I was about 15 - ANC Choir and Simple Minds are the only acts I can remember.

Agreed it's an inspiring documentary, shows what you can do with energy and drive.
Who played the '90s one? Did Strummer return or was it the likes of Blaggers ITA?

Back