• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

A drive up to Suffolk and a visit to the Saxon King's hoard and Swords of the Kingdom exhibition. Some superb Saxon history on display including the King's mask (well a copy of it!). The Swords of Kingdoms exhibition is all the stuff found from the Staffordshire hoard now on display at Sutton Hoo.

View attachment 21877
It is good there isn’t it. The film of the dig is, IMO, a good watch too. And Woodbridge is Avery pleasant town

Reactions: RHB
Southend City Jam.

I can't say I have been impressed with most events the council have put on over the years but this was fantastic and the art will brighten up the town for years to come.

Hubby had his first day off yesterday in almost two months, we had a lovely day including a mooch around Battlesbridge. Spoke to a militaria expert about my great uncle's WW1 death plaque and medals - which you may remember, I was fortunate enough to locate on ebay the day after they'd been sold, and the seller spoke to his buyer who agreed to sell them on to me for what he'd paid. He convinced me not to clean them.

Discovered that the ribbon is not authentic, so have sourced some genuine ribbon. Once I've received that, I will be getting them all framed up in a protective display case.

Also had a lovely lunch at the Bull - they have pheasant strips as a starter on their a la carte menu and we shared a delicious plate of these. It was all a very nice day.

Hubby had his first day off yesterday in almost two months, we had a lovely day including a mooch around Battlesbridge. Spoke to a militaria expert about my great uncle's WW1 death plaque and medals - which you may remember, I was fortunate enough to locate on ebay the day after they'd been sold, and the seller spoke to his buyer who agreed to sell them on to me for what he'd paid. He convinced me not to clean them.

Discovered that the ribbon is not authentic, so have sourced some genuine ribbon. Once I've received that, I will be getting them all framed up in a protective display case.

Also had a lovely lunch at the Bull - they have pheasant strips as a starter on their a la carte menu and we shared a delicious plate of these. It was all a very nice day.
I’ve also got a death plaque of a great uncle (killed in 1916), Never understood why anyone / any family would sell such a personalised and unique item 😕

I’ve also got a death plaque of a great uncle (killed in 1916), Never understood why anyone / any family would sell such a personalised and unique item 😕

My great grandad sold the Military Medal he was awarded in WW1 because he needed the cash.

I have the mini version of it that is to be worn with dress uniforms.

We don't know how or why they left the family. I remember my Nan showing them to me when I was young (it was my Grandad's brother). All I can guess is that when they passed away, someone decided to sell them on. Very sad and upsetting to think someone in the family did that.

We don't know how or why they left the family. I remember my Nan showing them to me when I was young (it was my Grandad's brother). All I can guess is that when they passed away, someone decided to sell them on. Very sad and upsetting to think someone in the family did that.
I have my grandfathers, fathers & one of my uncle's medals - they are my most treasured possessions.

Back