• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is wrong with some of our fans?

drunk old men abusing fit young athletes... laughable

obese indoor ridden keyboard warriors abusing fit young professional footballers .. tragic.

all the time spent playing computer games (fifa et al) instead of going down the park and playing the game with your mates - double tragic...

I blame the CBA parents ...
You blame parenting for drunk old men being abusive? How many decades of parenting are we going back here?

So many comments on here (not all) just stink of people thinking their better than others, I honestly cannot stand people like that.

They also refer to 'trouble maker' fans as keyboard warriors but you just know that half of the people saying it on here, wouldn't say boo to goose in person. So, surely those people are just as bad as a 'keyboard warrior' IMO? Slagging them off whilst sat behind a keyboard. Pot kettle black anyone?

For the record, I don't agree with people slagging off most of the players (players like Lennon made their own bed) especially young lads like Seaden. I just equally cannot stand the snobby attitude of some fans either. Looking down at people who, some on here, have stated are uneducated and not coming from the best backgrounds etc etc etc is just embarrassing, not everyone was born with a silver spoon.

So many comments on here (not all) just stink of people thinking their better than others, I honestly cannot stand people like that.

They also refer to 'trouble maker' fans as keyboard warriors but you just know that half of the people saying it on here, wouldn't say boo to goose in person. So, surely those people are just as bad as a 'keyboard warrior' IMO? Slagging them off whilst sat behind a keyboard. Pot kettle black anyone?

For the record, I don't agree with people slagging off most of the players (players like Lennon made their own bed) especially young lads like Seaden. I just equally cannot stand the snobby attitude of some fans either. Looking down at people who, some on here, have stated are uneducated and not coming from the best backgrounds etc etc etc is just embarrassing, not everyone was born with a silver spoon.

To be honest I've seen one comment on here which I thought was out of order and I've complained to the Mods about and replied to that poster.

We're all living in a ****e world right now which ironically, seems to follow suit with Covid and SUFC.

All I can say, report posts, it's better that way.

I actually agree with what you've said, it's painful to see these posts, one rule for one and another for another.

Last edited:
Why do some of our ‘fans’ spend their lives bashing our homegrown youngsters coming through? Just seen a post on Facebook saying Harry Seaden is available for Saturday and there are comments saying ‘not Seaden, worst keeper in years’ (a couple others following a similar suit).

How is this helpful in any way, why can’t you keep these comments to your self. I know for a fact the boys often see these comments, so we are sending out young lads who are seeing these comments and expecting them to perform sigh confidence.

It’s often people far older than these lads who are 19,20,21 trying to live out their dream of being a professional footballer and they constantly see messages of our ‘fans’ bashing them.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculously counter-productive and these comments only set the boys up to make mistakes due to a lack of confidence and nerves.
Because we don't care about these things! We want results now! Good luck to the kids they are for the future but our priority now is to win games of football and get out off this horrible league! If they are good enough they will play if not then we can't be taking passengers.3 points is the only thing I care about!

Hmm...
I think personal abuse is to be deplored: 'is that the same as small-minded hate'?
If so, I'm out too.
Nice kid he may be, but good keeper he is not - not yet anyway.
I'm glad he's nice, but if he's in goal for any length of time, the results will be anything but nice.
The hope is that criticism doesn't spill over into vile abuse.
For some of the more challenged, that's an ask.
I was referring to Ted Smith, who I believe cited this abuse as one of the reasons he quit.

Personal abuse is the result of small minded hate. I use the word hate in the true sense of the meaning.

4 years of ****e, non league and a global pandemic havent helped.

Difference nowadays is people can sit comfortably at their keyboards and slag off the players all day as opposed to just 90 mins in public on a saturday.
They are keyboard warriors ,need to get a life.

To any of those saying don’t be a pussy look at the amount of kids struggling with abuse through social media. Sure we had playground bullying but this seems to me to be on an altogether different scale.
The thing with playground bullying is that it went away for a few hours while everyone went home.

Social Media is 24/7.

However, I do feel it is a problem for the younger generation to solve; they are the ones who are most affected by it, use it, depend on it and they will be the ones who eventually have to deal with it.

The world in 20 years time won't look like it does today. I personally have no solutions or suggestions as to how this can stop, but there is a change afoot. I believe that the bigger companies and brands lead the way here. We are now seeing "ordinary" shaped people in adverts for clothing and make up when once upon a time it was the 10/10 bodies that were the models.

As much as those who hate the "woke" culture may hate to admit it, I'm afraid all these discussions and movements about racism, homophobia and every other prejudice are necessary as what will happen - as it always does - is that the pendulum swings too far and then eventually settles in the right area. This however takes time.

Just reading this, it's all a bit heavy for a Saturday morning... sorry chaps and chapesses. But I'm feeling sorry for myself as I can't go to the game today as I have just tested positive for Covid and Christmas is wiped out for me - again. So humour me and be gentle please. Ta.

I don’t agree with personal abuse at all and ridiculing players especially ones who have very little game time ie Seaden. Yeah he had a shocker but let’s be honest what about all the other dross we have watched over the past 3+ years -experienced players like dunne, white etc all very rarely have an average game at best and get a lot less stick than seaden got. I’m all for booing the players when they have been rubbish but totally against personal attacks on the players as I heard some awful things said at Dagenham too. You can question someone and take apart their performance to scrutinise it and not everyone will agree but to call people names and almost bully them is wrong.

It’s not our fans. It’s society. There is always going to be a small percentage on idiots no matter what the cause. Social media exacerbates it as people are more willing to give abuse behind a keyboard than face to face, and that abuse can be more widespread. And so on and so forth.
Very true Bazza. If we were standing around in a group of, lets say, 20 of us, the socially inept dork wouldn't utter a word for fear of ridicule. But they are faceless with their online identity, enough so to build up enough confidence to troll everyone, because they can and everyone online is equal.

I don't think BBC Essex should be reading out comments that are essentially bullying. One I heard at half time was why is Ferguson playing - he offers nothing - and we have an attacking, scoring midfielder in Benton out on loan. The only response from the commentator was Ferguson hasn't had a great half but none of them have. Why read out such nonsense on air?

I don't think BBC Essex should be reading out comments that are essentially bullying. One I heard at half time was why is Ferguson playing - he offers nothing - and we have an attacking, scoring midfielder in Benton out on loan. The only response from the commentator was Ferguson hasn't had a great half but none of them have. Why read out such nonsense on air?
That doesnt sound like bullying to me tbh. Sounds like a reasonable appraisal.

Saying that a professional player, having yet another poor game, is offering nothing, is bullying is it?

Oh dear...

Its a performance based industry. Fans having opinions is the lifeblood of the game, if he'd scored 3 he'd be singled out.

Personal abuse and all that keyboard warrior **** is abhorrent but different imo.

I think the stats suggest we don't lose quite as often when Ferguson is in the team.

Anyhows my point wasn't about the merits or otherwise of a particular player - nor is this thread. I don't think the BBC should be giving air time reading out texts abusing individual players.

Abuse from the stands has been going on for as long as I can remember. Eric Steele, Richard Young, Chris Ramsey…it’s different now, relentless in fact. You can follow our team 24/7, argue with faceless people about something and nothing and share your opinion with anyone that will listen…or won’t.
Social media is intensely personal. The players don’t intentionally lose or try deliberately to put in bad performances yet we the fans pay our money and feel entitled to give our opinion. The difference is that our opinion now holds a wider audience. Players can dwell on it because it’s so easily accessible.
I look at our lineup. Young kids, older pros. Often vilified. Imagine someone saying some of the things that have been written to a member of your family or a friend. Our players have families, have mortgages and have a short career.
It’s not just a Southend problem but a problem endemic in society. Hopefully we can all learn to be kinder and ignore better.

For goodness sake, drop this rubbish now - it's exactly that kind of perpetuation that is a problem for some.

We might have discussions with those around where we sit about so and so not being good enough, or someone being a lazy git but there's no need to search them out on social media to tell them so. That's what needs to stop. There's always been an element of abuse from the stands to individuals, but it's the personal element away from the game that causes the biggest problems for individuals.

Back