• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What makes a sucessful team?

tommytwoholes

What is the key to getting promoted from this no frills embarrasing league.

Well you certainly dont have to play the best technical football.

You dont have to have the most idividually skilled players

Crowd size and viciferous support dont come into it.

And big money buys are rarely successful.

I honestly believe that some of the above will get you limited success and probably will have gained some teams promotion. But without being well organised and having a high team spirit and moral you wont win anything. This season is the only one i can remember (its been that long) that we are all pulling in the same direction. The fans are returning in numbers (ie) 8000+ last game first game of the season. The management are southend through and through. And the chairman has started to make the club more financialy viable without alienating the fans. We have a decent squad which is capable of making a push for promotion. And for a change its good to be a southend supporter.

Bring on the cheltenham and whoever, because this is our year!!!!

Go to go now matrons coming with my medication!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ July 27 2004,12:06)]What is the key to getting promoted from this no frills embarrasing league.
Getting more points than everyone else.

Just look at what the greeks did, not the most gifted team, but were very well organised, solid at the back, got the ball forward quickly and effectivlely, and had a good team spirit as each player worked for another,and they were also hard to beat.

Imho you need a bit of luck aswell, which i don't feel we have been gifted with over the past couple of season's( well about 8 to be precise).

So with a bit of luck and all the above hopefully we can get out of this division.

I'm not saying we have no gifted players at the club cos we have but we have to earn the right to play fancy football, because fancy football alone doesn't get you out of this league.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ July 27 2004,12:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ July 27 2004,12:06)]What is the key to getting promoted from this no frills embarrasing league.
Not strictly true - 6 teams can score more points than you, and you can still be promoted....
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Greenelk @ July 27 2004,12:21)]
[b said:
[b said:
Not strictly true - 6 teams can score more points than you, and you can still be promoted....  
wink.gif
Indeed, but thats not what I meant. If you get more points than anyone else you WILL be promoted, so that is the key to getting promoted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ July 27 2004,12:28)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
wink.gif
Indeed, but thats not what I meant. If you get more points than anyone else you WILL be promoted, so that is the key to getting promoted.
But the statement 'be amongst the top three point scorers' would be equally true, as if you do that you WILL get promoted...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Greenelk @ July 27 2004,13:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ July 27 2004,12:28)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
wink.gif
But the statement 'be amongst the top three point scorers' would be equally true, as if you do that you WILL get promoted...
Not if you had points deducted by the league as happened to Boston.

Camaraderie, team spirit, hard work, an excellent manager (and supporting staff) and a touch of good luck.

All which have been lacking until the middle of last season.

We have all the necessary ingredients in place so surely its got to be our season for promotion.

wink.gif

Skill, togetherness, spirit, fight, and if i dont say so myself,

"with a little bit, with a little bit, with a little bit of blooming luck".
ghostface.gif

I always feel confident that we are going to do well before the season begins.

I have to say I can't picture myself celebrating us getting promoted. Unfortunately, I have seen it far too often where Southend throw too many games away.

I think Tilson has a better understanding of Tactics than the past few managers but every year that lack of motivation always creeps in. Granted this will be Tilly's first full season in charge and maybe just maybe he will get the best from the players throughout the season.

I think yet again, a lack of goals will mean that we miss out on promotion. I think maybe at the start of the season with a new defensive pairing we may let a few in and it could well be the start of the season that costs us with southend playing catch up to those higher in the league come mid season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ July 27 2004,13:59)]Skill, togetherness, spirit, fight, and if i dont say so myself,

"with a little bit, with a little bit, with a little bit of blooming luck".  
ghostface.gif
Agreed.  And one more thing:

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Goals</span>

It's the one thing that has been in really short supply in recent years - especially in terms of players other than the front two chipping in with them.

Jay Smith and/or Mark Bentley will have a big say as to how high up the table we get... because it's goals from midfield that ultimately have a telling effect.

Look at two of last season's top goalscorers... Constantine played for the club which finished 17th, MacLean played for the club which finished 22nd (Scunny).

So long as one of your frontmen is up in the 16-20 goals region, and your other frontman isn't too far behind - then all you need to ensure is that the rest of the team chip in with a few goals each, and you'll be right up there.

So, for example, at Donny Rovers Michael McIndoe bagged 10 goals last season and Paul Green bagged 8... and both are midfielders.

We can be sure that Kev Maher won't score - it's the one thing he never does - so the likes of Gower, Corbett, Jay Smith and/or Mark Bentley will all need to find the onion bag a lot more frequently than last year.

If they do, then we'll know we're moving in the right direction - as well as one of Lawrie or Wayne having a good season (or even, perhaps, Drooooooo - given that he appears to have found his shooting boots in the pre-season games).

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 27 2004,14:12)]We can be sure that Kev Maher won&#39;t score
if he could hit the target from the penalty spot then he would have had about 10 goals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ July 27 2004,14:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 27 2004,14:12)]We can be sure that Kev Maher won&#39;t score
if he could hit the target from the penalty spot then he would have had about 10 goals.
True enough. Has anyone (Exiled Shrimper?) done an analysis of whether we would have finished higher up the table if we&#39;d put away all our penalties...?

We&#39;ve got to stop missing them, we really have.

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 27 2004,14:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ July 27 2004,14:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 27 2004,14:12)]We can be sure that Kev Maher won't score
True enough.  Has anyone (Exiled Shrimper?) done an analysis of whether we would have finished higher up the table if we'd put away all our penalties...?

We've got to stop missing them, we really have.

ghostface.gif
The point about the penalties is Valid, but let's face it we would have still have had Wignall in charge, I know boooo! We still would've been in the same managerial cycle with all these old todgers who don't give a damn. Tilly and Brush all the way come on SOUTHEND LET'S DO THESE NORTHERN/SOUTHERN LEAGUE 2/4 bastards WE ARE BETTER AND CAN DO IT YEA LET'S DO IT NIKE STYLE AND LOSE AGAIN.

The problem is I'm up for it now and if you don't mind me saying we'll probably not go up and then I'll be all sad and then someone will come along and hurt me with their Massimo Taibi. Now what you done Beetlebum?

and another thing lets make Roots Hall an intimidating place to come, OK we dont have the accoustics of the North Bank. However we still have fans that want to sing and get behind there team and encourage.

I keep thinking back to the Pompey V Arsenal game when pompey got hammered but they never stopped singing and encouraging the team.

Even when things are going against us lets show our support for Tilly and the Boys, maybe, just maybe it will make a difference?  
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ July 27 2004,16:03)]and another thing lets make Roots Hall an intimidating place to come, OK we dont have the accoustics of the North Bank. However we still have fans that want to sing and get behind there team and encourage.

I keep thinking back to the Pompey V Arsenal game when pompey got hammered but they never stopped singing and encouraging the team.

Even when things are going against us lets show our support for Tilly and the Boys, maybe, just maybe it will make a difference?  
smile.gif
it won't happen. too many fickle fans. this point is raised all of the time and throughout the season. I have raised it myself. However, you can't stop those fans that have paid their money from booing. Its there way of saying its unacceptable.

you can&#39;t stop people from booing that much is true , but i&#39;m sure some of the people that boo, would soon end up singing if it got going.
I for one like joining in with the chants, and although it sometimes gets going in the south upper where i sit, my mates tell me u can hardly hear it over in the west so not sure how intimadating it must be for opposing players.

Back