• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What on earth has been going on?

Medway Blue

Living on the Island of Relevancy ⭐
I haven't checked the board properly in the last week, at least not thoroughly like I usually do, but it seems like it's all been happening.

Sorry to hear that OBL was verbally attacked so harshly. She doesn't deserve it; she's a thoughtful, sensible and well-respected member.

I've seen some of these crazy new members who signed up and started abusing. Mabel, Kula Shaker and Demon? And am I right in assuming that they're all linked to BAG? If that's true, and it's him who has been abusing mods and OBL, then I'm shocked, because I liked him and though he was pretty respectable too.

Well done to the owners for jumping on it quickly, and for implementing the ISP identifier thing. They have their day jobs and this board is a nice enough place to be as it is, but to keep the idiots off would be some achievement.

I'll never stay away so long again after reviewing the soap opera-like happenings during my absence :p

No they werent all BAG...

However, I think I am going to divert to say that I thought that the Owners have dealt with the situation in a spot on way. Whilst not everyone has agreed with their actions to certain things. I do think that they have done what has been fair to the vast majority of people on SZ.

And for that reason they should be applauded for their actions.

They have a difficult job policing the place but while they dont get it right 100% every time I think they do a bloomin good job.

I think the owners deserve our support because at the end of the day they are just providing a site for us to chat about our beloved team.....it costs them money but costs us nothing....

As I have said before Owners/Mods.....top effort....:clap:

And thank you...

Can you just answer me one question. Why does this place need to be policed?????????????????????????

No wonder people get like they do. Too many rules.

No they werent all BAG...

However, I think I am going to divert to say that I thought that the Owners have dealt with the situation in a spot on way. Whilst not everyone has agreed with their actions to certain things. I do think that they have done what has been fair to the vast majority of people on SZ.

And for that reason they should be applauded for their actions.

They have a difficult job policing the place but while they dont get it right 100% every time I think they do a bloomin good job.

I think the owners deserve our support because at the end of the day they are just providing a site for us to chat about our beloved team.....it costs them money but costs us nothing....

As I have said before Owners/Mods.....top effort....:clap:

And thank you...

Spot on. Without their dedication and, I'm sure, their financial commitment, there'd be no SZ. They are fully correct to be policing and stamping out overly antagonistic or abusive posts/posters.....I'm sure it's more annoying to the OWNERS of the site than it is to us to see their baby clogged up with such mindless drivel and abuse. Well within their rights to do what they do. Well done indeed :clap:

Can you just answer me one question. Why does this place need to be policed?????????????????????????

We have rules to make this a pleasant place for football fans to come and chat. No policing and we get people trying to wreck the normally smooth running of the Zone.

No-one is made to come on here, they are permitted to visit. If posters do not want to abide by the rules they don't have to use the site.
Exactly the same way if we feel people are un-desirable we ban them, it's as simple as that.

I hope that answers your question.

Thats easy....look how its been with rules....imagine it without rules....

but then u r just asking cos u r a provocation tease....:stunned:

I blame the rep system and believe (as I predicted some time ago) that it has taken us to the brink of the first Shrimperzone honour killing.

It may have been innocently introduced as a bit of fun but there is no fun in a funeral.

I blame the rep system and believe (as I predicted some time ago) that it has taken us to the brink of the first Shrimperzone honour killing.

It may have been innocently introduced as a bit of fun but there is no fun in a funeral.

indeed...only so many testosterone-laden geniuses can exist in one space before they start bucking their awesome frontal lobes against one another.

We have rules to make this a pleasant place for football fans to come and chat. No policing and we get people trying to wreck the normally smooth running of the Zone.

No-one is made to come on here, they are permitted to visit. If posters do not want to abide by the rules they don't have to use the site.
Exactly the same way if we feel people are un-desirable we ban them, it's as simple as that.

I hope that answers your question.

Superb job by all the mods in maintaining a civilised community.

Freedom of speech comes with moderate and tollerant parameters.

Gangs and ganging up on others who may have opposing views is unacceptable. No wreckers on SZ required.. full stop

It is necessary in a civilsed environment that the small number of mindless extremists be kept under reasonable control.

Last edited:
I know I've told them many times before, but probably appropriate to record my very sincere thanks to the guys at the top - the owners and the mods - who have done an amazing job in recent weeks, through quite difficult circumstances.

Of course, I have particular cause to be grateful for their very swift actions (Cricko and McNasty especially) in dealing with the various imposters - and I hope that you don't feel that I'm in any way responsible for encouraging this sort of behaviour. I can't help the fact that one of them has this - and I know I've used this word before - pathological hatred for me, I really don't know what I ever did to him.

Guys, I salute you, you do an amazing job :clap: hopefully the new steps that have been put in place will make it a little more difficult for these people in the future. Well done also for the spring clean - what a way to spend a Bank Holiday!

Superb job by all the mods in maintaining a civilised community.

Freedom of speech comes with moderate and tollerant parameters.

Gangs and ganging up on others who may have opposing views is unacceptable. No wreckers on SZ required.. full stop

It is necessary in a civilsed environment that the small number of mindless extremists be kept under reasonable control.

Riggght on there Irate Ian.

I think this song sums up what you're getting at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36w-CyqCO1A&feature=related

The board was a much better place without the rep, especially when it was taken away for a bit made it back to the good enjoyable place it was. I think if we lost the rep system it would stop most of the bull****.

Folks - interesting comments re rep. Next time we meet, the owners will have another ponder as to whether or not the system stays. For my part, I'm beginning to think its days are numbered.

I'd also like to pass on a message from Bentley's Absurd Gait, who is currently serving a one month ban for his recent actions and posts on here. He has asked me to clarify that he's a Shrimper - not an Orient fan - and I'm more than happy to set the record straight on that. He then went on to say:

I would be really grateful if you could let it be known on the Zone that I am sorry and regret the trouble I've caused. I will be reading as a guest, and enjoying the posts, and I will only be able to do that because of your hard work and the time and money you put into the Zone. I appreciate that, and despite appearances, always have.

We look forward to seeing BAG back in a month's time. In the meantime, thanks to all who have posted above. You have no idea how much it means to us lot, to know that our efforts are appreciated... otherwise, we do sometimes wonder why we bother.

Thanks all.

Matt

I'm not sure that it's rep itself that's the problem, more that people allow themselves to be bothered by it. That may still mean it's easier for the owners to get rid of it as a way of removing a potential source of problems, but it's a shame that people seem occasionally unable to get a sense of perspective about the whole thing. to mess with a quote that came up in one of the recent music threads: rep don't kill people, reppers do...

Folks - interesting comments re rep. Next time we meet, the owners will have another ponder as to whether or not the system stays. For my part, I'm beginning to think its days are numbered.

I'd also like to pass on a message from Bentley's Absurd Gait, who is currently serving a one month ban for his recent actions and posts on here. He has asked me to clarify that he's a Shrimper - not an Orient fan - and I'm more than happy to set the record straight on that. He then went on to say:

I would be really grateful if you could let it be known on the Zone that I am sorry and regret the trouble I've caused. I will be reading as a guest, and enjoying the posts, and I will only be able to do that because of your hard work and the time and money you put into the Zone. I appreciate that, and despite appearances, always have.

We look forward to seeing BAG back in a month's time. In the meantime, thanks to all who have posted above. You have no idea how much it means to us lot, to know that our efforts are appreciated... otherwise, we do sometimes wonder why we bother.

Thanks all.

Matt

Matt let the SZ members decide on rep! have a poll!

I actually dont think rep has anything to do with it at all. Its a fun addition to the board. The only time it is wrong is when people are personally attacked with the comments on it. Which is then cause for complaint. However, if you are going to post something offensive then expect someone to offend you with rep. It works both ways. If people cant accept a couple of neg rep comments just because someone didnt like your post then its not the end of the world! If there is nothing personal in it then get over it!

No one should be attacked for leaving their opinion on this board either. I think some people get far too wound up when not everyone agrees with them. Hey thats life and its what makes things a little more interesting.

The mods do a good job with this board and while as S_S said they may not get things right on 100% of occasions, they are pretty spot on 99% of the time. They put their own money into this board for us and its understandable that they get annoyed when people start to get nasty and abusive for no reason. There are a lot of keyboard warriers that lurk on here and insult and abuse people for kicks. They are rightly banned. This doesnt mean the mods are being "boring" or "spoilsports" they are just stopping innocent people from being offended.

In the light of recent new rules laid down it seems that there has been a bit of bad blood on here but I think we all need to keep the new rules in the back of our minds and post accordingly. I think the number one point has to be - Think before you post.

I thought BAG was banned for 3 months. but Matt says in his piece its one :unsure:

Or is it like prison .. meaning he'll only serve a third of his time ???

Back