• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What the new manager needs to do...

So was Bobby Moore ?

I agree with Bertbert. Henrik Larrson simply does not appear have a strong enough managerial track record to deal with Southend's really serious situation at present. If Adam Barrett or Sol Campbell are not available to take on the task, Nigel Adkins has demonstrated he knows to fight and scrap for points at the level of Division 1 and above.

You've got to hold and give
But do it at the right time
You can be slow or fast
But you must get to the line
They'll always hit you and hurt you
Defend and attack
There's only one way to beat them
Get round the back
Thank you Smiffy.

I’d go straight in and do away with the days off and the leaving at lunchtime.

I’d be perfectly frank with them and tell them this is how it’s gonna be and they can suck it up or sling their hooks.

They’d have double sessions Monday to Wednesday. Hard high intensity work all morning, football technical work early PM and a gym session two of the three days. Thursday and Friday it would be tactical and shape work all morning with some lighter football technical work again in the afternoons.

I’d make it clear that the benefits of this won’t be seen for 4 weeks but that until then everything was monitored and levels measured and anyone below a certain level of distances covered, high intensity speeds and heart rates and falling below measured levels would automatically not be available for selection.

We are unfit physically and mentally and this affects quality levels, decision making and desire....most importantly its impossible to not feel more confident when you know you’ve worked hard and done all you can to control the controllables.

We’d soon find out who wants to be on the bus and who doesn’t.

I agree we're unfit but not sure working them to exhaustion every weekday is the answer. Rest days are absolutely crucial for recovery. Doing away with them will just mean injuries or players that are too exhausted to perform to their best on a Saturday.

I agree we're unfit but not sure working them to exhaustion every weekday is the answer. Rest days are absolutely crucial for recovery. Doing away with them will just mean injuries or players that are too exhausted to perform to their best on a Saturday.

Yes, that's a rational point of view but right now I would take pleasure in knowing our players are being made to feel pain. If it were up to me I would make them sleep on the floor at Boots and Laces and exist on bread, turnips and water until we were out of the drop zone. The only entertainment would be Ron Martin managerial search updates on a constant loop.

I didn’t say working them to exhaustion every day. I did they’d do double sessions and I’d do away with the days off for the next month. Of course it would be tailored to what I feel they should be capable of as a group but individuals not meeting those requirements would know about it.

The bonus of hard work is not finding out who is fit it’s that you find out who has heart and determination and who wants to get on with it.

The day off issue is a bug bear of mine. It’s bull**** and the players who want to get better go in on their day off anyway....

Let me tell you, the 23s don’t have a day off ever. It’s only first team. Injuries are more likely when you’re unfit and take a look at how many 23s are currently on the treatment table......visit on a Wednesday and you’ll see a couple of first teamers who go in and train with the 23s on Wednesday's anyway.....

I’d also question where a few of ours go or what they do on a day off too.......I don’t think it’s what you'd expect from professional athletes.....

I’d also question where a few of ours go or what they do on a day off too.......I don’t think it’s what you'd expect from professional athletes.....

Visit National Trust and English Heritage properties? Come on, spill the beans. Does Harry Lennon belong to a feminist reading group?

I don't think it's anyone business. Do you run your weekend plans by your boss to make sure it's appropriate?

I don't think it's anyone business. Do you run your weekend plans by your boss to make sure it's appropriate?

If I was a professional athlete I’d make sure my body was in condition to be that. That’s a prerequisite that’s non negotiable. Unfortunately that’s a 7 day a week 52 weeks of the year obligation. It’s why they are payed so well by comparison.

It’s a quite a trade off really........keep yourself fit and I’ll pay you several thousand pounds a week......

If I was a professional athlete I’d make sure my body was in condition to be that. That’s a prerequisite that’s non negotiable. Unfortunately that’s a 7 day a week 52 weeks of the year obligation. It’s why they are payed so well by comparison.

It’s a quite a trade off really........keep yourself fit and I’ll pay you several thousand pounds a week......

I'm sure they do, they're pro life is over by their mid 30s so doing anything to jepordise that is just plain daft. The days of Tony Adams drinking himself stupid post match are long gone.

I'd imagine on their days off its golf/FIFA 2020.

I'm sure they do, they're pro life is over by their mid 30s so doing anything to jepordise that is just plain daft. The days of Tony Adams drinking himself stupid post match are long gone.

I'd imagine on their days off its golf/FIFA 2020.

No they certainly haven't. Nor has snorting you career up your nose or gambling your future away......Which is why PB always organise group events in the afternoon. Young lads in a town where they don't know anyone and siting in a small room along the seafront on a miserable winters afternoon are easy prey for the wrong sort of people or betting online etc.

Forget office based team building. The people who get the most out of team building activities are people who work as a team.....We aren't working as a team so far this season.

No they certainly haven't. Nor has snorting you career up your nose or gambling your future away......Which is why PB always organise group events in the afternoon. Young lads in a town where they don't know anyone and siting in a small room along the seafront on a miserable winters afternoon are easy prey for the wrong sort of people or betting online etc.

Forget office based team building. The people who get the most out of team building activities are people who work as a team.....We aren't working as a team so far this season.

Absolutely spot on ??

Players in these football clubs still get fined (100s not penny’s) for NOT attending a boozy players ‘bonding’ session.....what sort of message does that send out to people like, CK, EA, NB, IH, TE etc etc? What sort of a divide does that cause in a dressing room if those ‘kids’ opt to not attend?

Okay, so the obvious target is to come in and win enough games to keep us in League One this season ("no ****, Sherlock!"), so at the moment, I'm just thinking about the points target. Normally, we'd assume 50 points: last year we finished in 19th on 50 points and survived on goal difference while the previous 2 years would have required 51 points and 50 respectively.

But this year, there are two less games and only three teams will be relegated so we're into some new territory. With six less points on offer, what do we think will be the cut-off this season? 50 from 46 games is around 1.1 points per game - the same ratio on 44 games should mean roughly 48 points all other things being equal. Add another 1 point for our already ridiculous goal difference and I think we're realistically targeting 49 points to stay up this season.

Happy if someone wants to change my mind on that so we're all on the same page.

=====================

So how difficult is it/what form do we need then to get to 49 points from our remaining 33 games. With our cracking start of four points already in the bag(!!), that leaves 45 more points from 33. That's 1.36 points per game.

Over a normal (full quota of teams) season 1.36 points per game would give us roughly 63 points.
  • In 2018/19, the team on 63 points finished in 9th place.
  • In 2017/18, the team on 63 points finished in 10th place (that was US by the way!) with 11th on the same points just with a worse goal difference.
  • In 2016/17, the team on 63 points finished in 11th place.
So, we need the new manager to come in, understand the team, find his best players, find his system, galvanise the squad, address their confidence issues, eradicate the gaps in talent and commitment, find solutions where there are none with regards to lack of players for certain positional requirements, get them playing for him and then hit a rest-of-season form commensurate with finishing just above mid-table - in order to just about stay up.

I'm as optimistic as anyone on here but with the seriously flawed playing staff at our disposal, I think that's a frickin' tough ask!
And Ron thinks we got a strong squad what would we do if we had a poor side

Absolutely spot on ??

Players in these football clubs still get fined (100s not penny’s) for NOT attending a boozy players ‘bonding’ session.....what sort of message does that send out to people like, CK, EA, NB, IH, TE etc etc? What sort of a divide does that cause in a dressing room if those ‘kids’ opt to not attend?

Charlie Kelman isn't even old enough to legally drink.

Charlie Kelman isn't even old enough to legally drink.

That’s my point......who’s organizing player team building events that exclude anyone in the squad for any reason at all?

The fines for not attending a **** up would be more than double what was donated by the players towards the charity walk at the weekend!!!

That’s my point......who’s organizing player team building events that exclude anyone in the squad for any reason at all?

The fines for not attending a **** up would be more than double what was donated by the players towards the charity walk at the weekend!!!

Do you have any evidence of this?

Back