• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What to do

To get away from the inevitable rantings and ravings that follow a defeat, what does everyone think we need to do? How would you change things?
Let's assume we can't buy or sign anyone else, and you can't just say 'drop X', if you drop someone you have to pick a replacement.

For me personally I'd try to go Phil Brown style. Go 433, Dieng in front of the back four as an anchor. Tighten up at the back and try to really grind it out. I look at playing

Oxley
Elvis Hobson Lennon Clifford
Dieng
Dimi Taylor
ANG Ralph
Aquah

Then play it really simple. Take no chances on the ball, play it in the channels or long, just focus on trying to get a clean sheet and work on that day after day.
It'll be bloody horrible to play and to watch but I think that's what we need.

I think we need to just go back to the system and how we played against Crawley and Exeter. MM seems like a quick learner and hopefully will acknowledge that this experiment today didn't work.

Feel a bit like we haven't taken a surprise and unnecessary step backwards after some significant improvements the previous 2 weeks

I’m a big advocate for 4-3-3 if you have the players to play that formation. I’m not totally convinced we do. The back four when all fit pretty much picks itself. The midfield three the same and like you said Dieng in front of the back four with either Demi, Taylor or the new Arsenal lad making up the other two roles. The problem we have is that we don’t have an out an out striker good enough to play as a lone man. We have players who can play out wide but how often has the Egbri for example supported the attack in the penalty area which I think is vital when playing a front three.

To get away from the inevitable rantings and ravings that follow a defeat, what does everyone think we need to do? How would you change things?
Let's assume we can't buy or sign anyone else, and you can't just say 'drop X', if you drop someone you have to pick a replacement.

For me personally I'd try to go Phil Brown style. Go 433, Dieng in front of the back four as an anchor. Tighten up at the back and try to really grind it out. I look at playing

Oxley
Elvis Hobson Lennon Clifford
Dieng
Dimi Taylor
ANG Ralph
Aquah

Then play it really simple. Take no chances on the ball, play it in the channels or long, just focus on trying to get a clean sheet and work on that day after day.
It'll be bloody horrible to play and to watch but I think that's what we need.

That team looks to be the exactly the right solution if your aim is to check out some non-league grounds next season.

We have a team that currently has no goals in it.

I would set up to try and ensure that we don't concede first and foremost and would give up with Goodship and Aquah as a partnership up front.

That team looks to be the exactly the right solution if your aim is to check out some non-league grounds next season.
So what would you do instead?
We don't seem to have Bayern Munich's squad knocking around the training ground desperate to play for us for some reason

We have a team that currently has no goals in it.

I would set up to try and ensure that we don't concede first and foremost and would give up with Goodship and Aquah as a partnership up front.
I think Goodship would probably be best in the hole behind a main striker, but out wide he doesn't seem to be able to do his best work. Him and Akinola up top seems our best chance to me

Just keep it simple and keep instructions clear. Hopefully today will have taught MM a few harsh lessons about L2.

Last edited:
It should be remembered that Molesley is completely inexperienced at this level and maybe today's formation was a mistake, however well conceived it might have been as a plan to negate Cheltenham's strengths. Hopefully, he will learn the lessons from this latest setback quickly and we can bounce back on Tuesday with a better all round performance but on today's evidence there seems very little to build on. Dark days indeed.

I don't think all the best tactics in the world would be good enough to help us at the moment.

So we banged on about the likes of Cox and a few others being bad eggs in the changing room and causing friction within .
These players have been moved on with the backing of most on here .....but this has left us in dire straits and no leadership or experience in the squad , I really thought we would hold or own in league two and confidence would soon come back but this is getting concerning that we can’t buy a win even when we are on song .

I can’t put my finger on the root cause of the problem is apart from the fact we have a group of really poor footballers within in our ranks , please someone tell me differently ?

Doesn't matter the tactics we have zero goal threat across the squad.
we desparately need a goal scoring striker and a another in the mould of the 38 year old released a couple of seasons back but a bit younger ,maybe AKINFENWA could still do the job. A hard nut midfielder who dosent get injured first game plus a tough no nonsense CD.

Back