• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What would make you happy?

And to remain on the thread - I'd be happy with keeping our place in Div 1, work beginning on FF, Tilly and Brush signing on for years to come and Ron Martin keeping his enthusiasm for the club despite the bashing he gets from some on here.

I'd be happy to see the return of the SUFC Supporters' Club Band. Could go through a first-half of absolute dross, just in the expectation that the leader of the band would toss the baton in the air..........and drop it...........thus bringing about the largest cheer of the afternoon.

I'd be happy to see the return of the SUFC Supporters' Club Band. Could go through a first-half of absolute dross, just in the expectation that the leader of the band would toss the baton in the air..........and drop it...........thus bringing about the largest cheer of the afternoon.

As you know Yogi, I'm generally one to look back. However, I'm guessing you've not seen The Blue Belles...?

It would make me happy if you could ask a fair question and direct constructive criticism at Mr Martin without being vilified as a 'doom and gloom' merchant. It would also be great if other posters didn't assume that you won't 'get behind the team' just because you have some doubts about the chap who runs the club.

In a more serious vein, much that Leeblue has said has echoes with me. I remember some time ago having used the phrase, 'we've let the genii of expectation out of the bottle' and it's going to be very difficult to get it back in. I cited the new supporters, who hadn't known the bad times and even worse, the nondescript times. I've mentioned recently about the hope that Ron would learn from experience and not making rash statements about new signings before they had been finalised. This he hasn't yet 'taken on board' (do you still use that phrase, that started to creep into staff meetings back in the eighties?) Perhaps he gets carried away with his own enthusiasm but of course it raises peoples hopes only for them to be dashed as we have experienced this summer. More dangerously for him, it gives his critics ammunition to use against him, when doubting his word in other areas.
What can we do to get us out of this mood of depression?................................
.................in my opinion, not a lot! Following, the success on the field and the exultation about the passing of the plans for the new stadium we have entered a period of worry and concern both on and off the pitch. The good news is that, like the economic recession, it is cyclical and we will have to wait for those 'green shoots'......
of course the two things are inexplicably linked.
I think it will help, once the new season is under way and we can then spend less time contemplating our own navels. Apart from that, there are two things that will cheer us all up, the first being news that we can pay the taxman come October. The second would be a start made on FF .............with those things achieved we can all look towards the future with hope and stop regarding the present with concern and disillusionment.
Having said all that.....................in a few years, when we're in our spanking new stadium and wallowing in the depths of Division One.........................AAAAHHHHHH!
...............let's cross that bridge, when we come to it!

What would really make me happy? The one thing that would make me happier than anything else would be the club giving the ground (be it Roots Hall or FF) back to the fans, in the guise of SUSCT. After all, the fans gave the ground to the club 55 years or so ago, so it would be nice to have it back.

But that's pie in the sky, and I know it. Ron's not a charity, after all.

So, I'll settle for being competitive this season - top half would do me fine - and for Ricky Duncan's boys to really start making an impact in the first team. From a footballing sense, nothing would make me happier, since that would demonstrate that our club has got truly solid foundations for us to be building on.

Matt

1) A couple of extra inches on the old fella wouldn't go amiss.
2) W*st H*m being bottom of the premiership all season. Watching a lot of fat cockneys crying into their beer would be superb.
3) Jordan or katie price or whatever her ****ing name is just shutting the **** up and going the **** away.

Obviously, us doing the business in the league, more money, new ground, Ron Martin doing his human beatbox impression before every home game, but all that goes without saying..

Kind Regards

As you know Yogi, I'm generally one to look back. However, I'm guessing you've not seen The Blue Belles...?

God, I was thinking the SUFC Supporters' Club Band and The Blue Belles on the pitch at the same time....woooowwww......he'd be dropping his rod all the time and of course, that wouldn't be the only rod he would have to be concerned about!

A place on the board for the Trust, some decent players through the yoofs, T&B to be given a decent warchest, and Ron's hair tips.

My wishes.

* Sign a permenant CB and get a long-term loanee CB in by transfer window.

* Clear our tax debt before the October deadline.

* Do the double over Colchester & Orient.

* A Respectable 8-12th league finish.

* Chips to return to the Hall.

More long-term...

* Another major investor come in to share the load with RM and provide greater security.

* FF to get built.

I'm not really too unhappy. As I wrote to a friend yesterday:

I worried at the start of last season. And the one 2 before that, and we did fine. If Francis is moved to centre back where I felt he played his best last year then I reckon that'd help. It is telling though that our best spells of last season all involved games where Clarke, Dervitte or Robinson played blinders.

I feel our central midfield is great. Maybe too great as we can't accommodate all the players that deserve to be in there, but being able to rotate that area is a bonus when suspensions come thick and fast. Our wings are weak unless we play a fair way inside the touchline. Our strike force is actually really good IF they stay fit, a big if sadly. Our goalie is good. Our defense... yeah, it's *****. Has been for the last 3 years. And it needs sorting.

But I think right now (at the start of a probable recession), in a game where teams with years more experience and accolades are going bankrupt, we should ALWAYS make the priority about the bigger picture; keeping afloat rather than a star signing or two.

I think the development with the youth programme is starting to bear real fruit and looking great; the slightly concerning thing about that is the lack of protection clubs have at tying players down when bigger ones come sniffing - I'd hate to lose all of them.

The impression I get is that the transitional / temporary aspect of the modern game in the lower leagues isn't helping morale. If you tie people into long, well-paid deals and injury, relegation or ineptitude (see Foran) strike then you lose out. If you sign loanees supporters worry about the long term future of the team, but I think they'll be an increasing asset to teams like us in future years (and were the reason we did so well last season).

What people really want to see is another superstar like Freddy, tied down to a 3 year deal obviously. But I don't envy Ron / Tilly. There's not many of them out there, and then if you find one keeping them motivated, loyal or paid is even harder. If Fergie couldn't manage it with Ronaldo...

Football has changed. I think we have to weather the storm for now, and if we do, we'll come out the other side with a dearth of bigger, more careless clubs scattered in our wake.

You know what'd make me REALLY unhappy more than a poor right back or crap half time entertainment? Walking past an empty, boarded up Spread Eagle and a desolate building site with a big 'Coming soon - your new local Tesco Metro' sign outside where I once sat enjoying football.

Last edited:
Nice to read some sensible and positive posts. For me, the one thing that would make me happier is a greater level of communication from the OS. I feel it should be where breaking news is broken and not just an echo of The Echo. There is so much I would like to see on there, for example, player profiles, their likes/dislikes, aspirations etc. They could put up some roving camera work of community engagements involving the team/players. It would probably be interesting for them to interview some fans now and then and give many an insight into how long they have been supporters, what made them become fans, their favourite game or most memorable moment etc. Anything to keep fresh input on the OS to keep interest and contact. There should be competitions with good prizes like a match day pass to the Directors lounge and box or a chance to train with the lads etc. Anything and everything that tells the fans they are appreciated and important. Someone suggested a Blues marching band, well how about approaching the armed forces to bring a band along, they are brilliant and we could have a whip round at the same time for money to go to so many servicemen/women and their families that are putting their life on the line so we can go about our lives. What about a services/blues charity match. I would pay above the odds to see that!

"What would make you happy?"
Dorian Dervitte back for a 6 -12 month loan.
James Walker to start believing in himself. (Potentially a far better all round package than Theo.

Im not asking for a lot.

I just want us to sign and I do mean sign not loan a few decent players that I might actually be proud of. As it is I am stuck feeling the side is being asset stripped season by season.

- Dorian to return on a long term Loan.

- Top 10 finsh.

- Double over Colchester

- Dougie and Barney to stay fit for the whole season.

- Dorian to return on a long term Loan.

- Top 10 finsh.

- Double over Colchester

- Dougie and Barney to stay fit for the whole season.

Dougie's already broke his ankle though.

I'd like to see us do the double over Colchester, sign a fast striker who will get 25 goals +. Sign Saah and bum-rape anyone we play against.

Dougie's already broke his ankle though.

I'd like to see us do the double over Colchester, sign a fast striker who will get 25 goals +. Sign Saah and bum-rape anyone we play against.

Has he?

Missed that... when did that happen?

Back