• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's the difference between the SUFC that finished 8th last year to this term?

seany t

President
Humorous answer: About 8 places.

But seriously, looking at the squad which ended the 2008-2009 season in a commendable 8th position, it's interesting how little changed:

1 Mildenhall
2 Francis

4 Dervitte
5 Clarke
6 Barrett
14 Moussa
8 McCormack
7 Grant

17 Robinson
9 Barnard
26 Laurent

Substitutes
15 Sankofa
18 Herd
20 Christophe

21 Betsy
12 Scannell

Sure, we know Barnard leaving this season has so far proven to be a big loss but he wasn't on fire for all of last year. Likewise, Robinson worked hard for us but no more so than the shifts Spencer seems to put in.

I guess the biggest difference is the quality of centre half partnering Barrett, but M'Voto isn't fit yet we're told so that too might be premature to judge. I know there were a few other decent loanees along the way, but essentially it's exactly what we've got now with a couple of interesting looking younger players for the future like Paterson.

So what do we blame this bad run on? Behind the scenes unsettling events, such as not getting paid on time, court cases etc? Just that bit of quality Barny / Dervitte gave us? Bad run of luck and low confidence?

Because somewhere in the side we're putting out week in week out (believe it or not), there's a young team full of talent and which we all felt wasn't far off the top 5 sides last year. Can it really be that they flattered to deceive and are now no better than League Two standard, or do we just need to have a bit more faith and focus on the here and now rather than being obsessed with the past and future of this Club?

We haven't found a good enough defence, i don't think we can match Peter Clarke and Dorian Devite tbh! They were rocks in defence and we just haven't found good enough defenders to replace them.
We don't score enough goals, Barnard was a big loss but i do like spencer, he works hard and has scored 2 already. I like Spenny, but we just don't score enough, not enough of our midfield are scoring, and our defence are poor so we let it to many goals.
But hey not only our team, also our financial problems this year has caused problems ON and OFF the pitch. :( Hopefully things can get better ahhhhhhhh. Yeah same with me seany, i reckon Paterson will be come a real good player as he is still only 20. Spencer is still only 21 so we will improve im sure.

Two goalscorers, Dervitte a class above any defender weve had this season, consistency of team selection. Oh and a Mccormack that was playing well and not ****ed off at the club.

A settled back four that featured Dervite and real pace up front in Theo. So often he was an out ball for us that enabled us to counter and utilise that speed. This season we have lacked pace in forward areas and our attacks have become laboured at times allowing opposition to re-group.

Theo robinson 300k ........Barney - more but for the contract situation - Dervitte - Barrett being kept out of harms way -

and we might still finish eighth again

Where to start really?

- A different starting XI each week
- Loan players who haven't cut the mustard
- Winding up orders, Administration fears
- Players not being payed regularly
- Morale at an all time low
- Our main (only) regualar/proven goalscorer departing
- Our best players underperforming constantly
- Last season we were winning games even though we played crap

Just off the top of my head

Could the standard of the opposition be better this year ? Not so sure myself.

I'd say it has, but only around the top half of the league. I haven't thought much about the teams below/around us.

We have better teams in the division as well namely Norwich, Charlton and Southampton, who have all beaten us. This has made for a tougher division, but when you point out our team from last season, it shouldn't make that much difference if they are all fit!

Don't forget we were in a similar position's at this stage of the season.

Somehow I can't see us finishing anywhere near 8th place this time though,.

Dervitte is now no longer playing in a southend shirt :(

Aswell as money trouble etc..

Blame the loss of barney all u like but when he left, we were still not far off relegation zone. i think the double figures worth of defensive partnerships is the main thing.

Tuesday 27 January 2009
Leeds United 2-0 Southend
Southend Position
17th

Southend United
1 Steve MILDENHALL
2 Osei SANKOFA
3 Adam BARRETT
4 Dorian DERVITE
5 Peter CLARKE
6 Simon FRANCIS
7 Jean Francois CHRISTOPHE
8 Alan MCCORMACK
9 Theo ROBINSON
10 Dougie FREEDMAN
11 Franck MOUSSA

Dervittes first game

We then won 11 of the next 14

The next 6 games we won 5 Barnard was not playing

The Differences between the team now and the team which put that run together.

Dervitte played all of the next 14 games after Leeds - with Barrett at LB
Robinson missed 1 of the 14 (and we lost that)
Grant was playing regularly
We only played 1 recognised winger , Moose played left mid through out the run with Betsy, Scannell, Grant or Francis playing RM

In the 14 games Robinson got 6 Barnard 4 (2 Pens)

I personally feel that , the major comparisons between this period of last season and the forthcoming weeks will be
1) the centre half alongside the loanee. Baldwin imho will be an adequate comparison to DD, if Mvoto can get it together and Barrett goes to LB I can't see much in it
2) Macca. figured in all of the 14 games and really needs to find that form again
3)Grant. played RM or in the middle if JFC was not available he is being missed
4) Wingers . IIRC the use of non wingers in the wide midfield positions got some criticism last year, well we were winning....
5) Goals, personally i can see Vernon / Spencer being capable ofmatching the 6 and 4 Robinson got in those 14 games - the only other striker to score was Freedman (just the 1) with Moose , Macca and Bestsy 2 each

On paper I don't think there is much in it , the crucial thing to me is no 2) Macca , he is off form and the off the field situation appears to have seriously affected him. for such an influential team player as him to be in this frame of mind it surely must drag the whole team spirit and morale down. get the off the field distractions , and to be honest address the pay issues and that may well be enough, get macca back "onside" and things may start picking up. This is a serious test of Tillys man management as well. if the outside influences don't get resolved thentrying to pick the team up is a major ask

Great analysis Firestorm, really interesting stuff.

See, my gut feeling too is that we're not a team that different to that which did so well last year. Given a good result somewhere against a side we weren't expecting and a bit of consistency / belief in the side, I reckon we could be alright...

Tuesday 27 January 2009
Leeds United 2-0 Southend
Southend Position
17th

Southend United
1 Steve MILDENHALL
2 Osei SANKOFA
3 Adam BARRETT
4 Dorian DERVITE
5 Peter CLARKE
6 Simon FRANCIS
7 Jean Francois CHRISTOPHE
8 Alan MCCORMACK
9 Theo ROBINSON
10 Dougie FREEDMAN
11 Franck MOUSSA

Dervittes first game

You sure about that line-up I think O'Keefe & Herd started in this match? I dont think Dervitte played either.

You sure about that line-up I think O'Keefe & Herd started in this match? I dont think Dervitte played either.

Good point, not sure about Herd, but O'Keefe definitely started and acquitted himself very well. Also I think we only had 4 subs which caused a storm on here, even though we could only have used 3.

Tis true, the actuall line-up was this -

Mildenhall
Francis
Sankofa
Barrett
Herd
JFC
Moussa
O'keefe (Barnard 75)
Betsy
Walker (Scannell 42)
Robinson

Tis true, the actuall line-up was this -

Mildenhall
Francis
Sankofa
Barrett
Herd
JFC
Moussa
O'keefe (Barnard 75)
Betsy
Walker (Scannell 42)
Robinson

Look at that line-up compared to what we could put out now! Obviously that was without Barnard and Dervite but we have M'Voto/Baldwin and more options upfront.

Back