• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's your favourite SUFC player debut EVER?

Kerrea Gilbert at home to Orient. So much promise, great shrewd loan signing we all thought.

Shame he couldn't grasp the concept of staying on his feet for more than 5 seconds...Only thing I could muster a laugh at on a truly miserable day :D

I cant remember if it was his first or second game but am pretty sure it was his first home game but Efe Sodje ! scored two and came close to a third if i remember correctly ( probably not )

Eastwood without doubt. Goal after 7.7 seconds against top of the league at the time, and went on to score a hat trick before being subbed off just before the end to receive a standing ovation.

Gower Vs Cheltenham was memorable with the 2 goals in a 2-0 win.

It's hard not to say Freddy Eastwood. a goal inside eight seconds is hard to beat.

Fred aside, I'll go for Ronnie Whelan vs Bristol City. Cultured midfield display capped off with the only goal we scored from a direct freekick in a spell of about five years.

That wasn't his debut. I think it was his third game.

He made his debut away at Stoke(?). I vividly recall his first touch being to slice an attempted bicycle kick. We got thumped that day, then I think we got thumped 5-0 by Wolves on a Tuesday night, then he made his home debut v Bristol City.

I'd have to go for one of Collymore, Eastwood, N'Diaye and Roach. As ever, it is hard to separate those four. I wasn't at Plymouth for N'Diaye's debut, but I think I might have listened to it on the radio and it was clear that we'd signed something special. If I can't have that, I'll go for Neville Roach's goal-scoring debut or maybe Gareth Risbridger's legendary debut appearance.

That wasn't his debut. I think it was his third game.

He made his debut away at Stoke(?). I vividly recall his first touch being to slice an attempted bicycle kick. We got thumped that day, then I think we got thumped 5-0 by Wolves on a Tuesday night, then he made his home debut v Bristol City.

Yep - Super Ronnie Whelan's debut was at the old Victoria Ground, Stoke. That is ingrained on my memory becuase the mini bus we were travelling on (arranged by Paul Holland, RIP) split in two on the motorway on the way there and we nearly all died. Eventually got to the ground with about ten minutes left, already 5-0 down.

Yep - Super Ronnie Whelan's debut was at the old Victoria Ground, Stoke. That is ingrained on my memory becuase the mini bus we were travelling on (arranged by Paul Holland, RIP) split in two on the motorway on the way there and we nearly all died. Eventually got to the ground with about ten minutes left, already 5-0 down.

Which ground? We only lost that game 4-1. It was 3 days later that we lost 5-0 surely the minibus didn't take that long to repair! We also lost on our other visit to the Potteries, when Port Vale thumped us 5-0, about a month later but I seem to recall we were unbeaten between those two 5-0 thrashings.

Our goal that game was a Butler OG according to Potted Shrimps. IIRC you missed own goals from Graham Bressington and Andy Edwards. HOwever the goal that I remember the most clearly is Wayne Biggins scoring from a corner - our corner. We passed it all the way back from our corner to our goalkeeper, only for Biggins to intercept the backpass in the penalty area and score without another Stoke player touching the ball. Jamie Forrester also I think made his debut and missed 3 one on ones with the keeper. Happy days. Tilson out!

Which ground? We only lost that game 4-1. It was 3 days later that we lost 5-0 surely the minibus didn't take that long to repair! We also lost on our other visit to the Potteries, when Port Vale thumped us 5-0, about a month later but I seem to recall we were unbeaten between those two 5-0 thrashings.

Our goal that game was a Butler OG according to Potted Shrimps. IIRC you missed own goals from Graham Bressington and Andy Edwards. HOwever the goal that I remember the most clearly is Wayne Biggins scoring from a corner - our corner. We passed it all the way back from our corner to our goalkeeper, only for Biggins to intercept the backpass in the penalty area and score without another Stoke player touching the ball. Jamie Forrester also I think made his debut and missed 3 one on ones with the keeper. Happy days. Tilson out!

It was the Stoke game at the Victoria Ground where Ronnie made his debut and we had our little problem with the mini-bus. I knew we got spanked but unusually for such days the most traumatic thing wasn't the Southend display but nearly being killed on the motorway so the score wasn't ingrained properly on my brain ;)

Oh, and the mini-bus would have taken far longer than 3 days to repair. It was the back end of one written off bus welded to the front end of another one. Whilst bombing at top speed the thing literally started to come apart like in some sort of Keystone Cops movie. My mate Mitch was above the 'join' and as it started to split looked down to see the motorway rushing past under his feet! As you say....happy days....

Last edited:
It was the Stoke game at the Victoria Ground where Ronnie made his debut and we had our little problem with the mini-bus. I knew we got spanked but unsually for such days the most traumatic thing wasn't the Southend display but nearly being killed on the motorway so the score wasn't ingrained poperly on my brain ;)

It is also a damn sight easier remembering the thrashings these days, as there are so fewer of them. Tilson OUT!

Probably a few I remember, the reception for John "Budgie" Burridge's home debut, for instance, and Goater's, but Freddy's has to be the most memorable, we missed that first goal as we'd had to go back home from Thames Drive as someone had forgotten to pick up the tickets!

Aside from the obvious Freddy, Stan and Gary Moore I would go for Roycey Vs West Ham , Kept clean sheet under enormous pressure that night.

It has to be Stanley in recent times because of the impact his debut had on that season and on the attitude and morale of the fans. Before the Notts County game, I believe Benji had scored all but one of our goals, with Brett Angell languishing in the treatment room and wearing flip-flops on the team photo. We looked completely out of our depth in the division after the promise of promotion to the Premiership looked realistic less than 12 months before.

I recall seeing the news on teletext that Benji had been shipped to Luton, and later on that day that we had signed some chap called Cauliflower. My heart sank, envisaging another Young for Cadette type downgrade. On the day of the match, which was wet, grey and utterly miserable, the demeanour of most fans was extremely gloomy. We were expecting very little, if not less, and we got to see one of the greatest talents to ever appear in a Blue shirt do what he did best - win a game virtually single handed. Oh Stanley Stanley!

rc's was good and stan's brilliant but i don't think you can beat freddies.

Not quite a debut, but Nicky Bailey against the hamsters, if only because it gave rise to Wiggy's infamous "Couldn't pass water" comment. The rest of the season only confirmed the wealth of Wiggy's football knowledge.

Back