• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's your favourite SUFC player debut EVER?

On the day of the match, which was wet, grey and utterly miserable, the demeanour of most fans was extremely gloomy.
Indeed. Stan's debut coincided with a protest against the board - resulting in a sort of mass boycott of that game. The attendance was a paltry 3,900 or so, as I recall - the North and West Banks looked and felt pretty empty, and County brought two men and a dog.

I remember clearly that when the teamsheet was read out, they got to:

10. Stanley Collymore

...at which point there was a gentle ripple of laughter on the North Bank. Did people really still call their kids Stanley?! He sounded like a throw-back to a bygone era... I was half expecting to see huge baggy shorts, brylcreemed hair and a pipe.

But boy, were we singing that name to the rafters by the end. Amazing!

:clap:

Still enjoyed Freddy's debut more, though. That game against Swansea remains one of the best matches I've ever seen at the Hall - end-to-end stuff, Freddy v. Trundle, quality flowing football, ebbing and flowing of superiority, and a magnificent hattrick from the wunderkind.

You just knew that one, if not both, of those sides didn't deserve to be in the basement league - and so it proved, with both of us getting promoted that season (and with us bouncing up - and the Swans making it to the playoffs - the following season).

A brilliant game and a brilliant debut. Happy days.

:)

eastwood stands out for me not alot beats a hattrick on debut, ronnie rosenthal did the same for liverpool that was a perfect hattrick. but who remembers 11/11/2000 leaving home in the dark and coming home in the dark to see us get done 3-1 by carlilse to see the debut of darryl flahaven.

For me it has to be Richard Cadette. I acknowledge that Freddys 1st goal was very quick, but from an all round performance it has to be the 4 goals and the fact that it was against the club that we signed him from.... You cannot get better than that...

Actually, Mark Gower's versus Cheltenham was pretty tasty, too.
i was there that game, gower scored two, if i remember correctly, one a pen aswell. blues won 2-0, but how do you beat freddy's againt swansea?

That wasn't his debut. I think it was his third game.

He made his debut away at Stoke(?). I vividly recall his first touch being to slice an attempted bicycle kick. We got thumped that day, then I think we got thumped 5-0 by Wolves on a Tuesday night, then he made his home debut v Bristol City.

Good point well made.

Jimmy Corbet was better than Gower in that game that they both made their debut

Corbett played well that day but Gower ran the show and scored both goals.

From debuts I've seen my top five, in no particular order are:

Stan Collymore vs Notts County, Nov 1992
Sada N'Diaye vs Plymouth, Oct 1997
Freddy Eastwood vs Swansea, Oct 2004
David Lee vs Brighton, Aug 2000
Petter Belsvik vs Stoke, Nov 1995

Three of those were false hopes, two of them maybe not so!

Didn't Belsvik come over here with a reputation of being the 'Scandinavian Shearer'?.

Cracking glancing header from him in that Stoke match.

Didn't Belsvik come over here with a reputation of being the 'Scandinavian Shearer'?.

Cracking glancing header from him in that Stoke match.

Yes, came with a great reputation! I was a very excited 13-year old! Scored a header on his debut and then hit the post later in same game with another cracking header.

Was crap after that, although to be fair he didn't get much of a chance to impress further before going back home.

paul clarks debut as manager a 1-0 victory of derby in the league cup. the year we were getting battered left right and centre by everyone. steele even kept a clean sheet.

paul clarks debut as manager a 1-0 victory of derby in the league cup. the year we were getting battered left right and centre by everyone. steele even kept a clean sheet.

Good shout, as I recall we had shipped 8 against Gillingham and six against Notts County, and Derby were a top flight side. Roy McDonut penalty. Backs to the wall. Class in a glass.

Back