• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am sure that almost any team in the country will have those sort of stats in games where they score 2 or more.

Goals in professional football are hard to come by and scoring two in the majority of cases will result in a win or a draw.

Pointless stat. Promotions and championships are built on solid defences. Games nicked 1-0 when you dont deserve to.

Just look at Leicester in the 2nd half of the season.

I am sure that almost any team in the country will have those sort of stats in games where they score 2 or more.

Goals in professional football are hard to come by and scoring two in the majority of cases will result in a win or a draw.

Pointless stat. Promotions and championships are built on solid defences. Games nicked 1-0 when you dont deserve to.

Yes i must admit, i wanted PB to go more attacking, and to an extent he has, but seems not to have worked. In my view though our real problem has come about by the loss of both Timlin and Lenny for an extended period, when both playing well the backbone of our side.

The Liverpool team of a couple of seasons ago prove this point, goals galore going forward, defensive errors costing them the title. Entertained, yes ! Successful, nope!

Strikers win you games, defenders win you titles !

The Liverpool team of a couple of seasons ago prove this point, goals galore going forward, defensive errors costing them the title. Entertained, yes ! Successful, nope!

Strikers win you games, defenders win you titles !

Untrue !

Last season Burton conceded 39 whilst we conceded 38,they won the league we finished 5th.

Season before Chesterfield conceded 40 we conceded 39 they won the league we finished 5th.

Burton scored 15 more than us,Chesterfield scored 18 more than us.

Some constantly blame the defence when ever we lose,yet we play allowing the oppo to launch wave upon wave of attacks because we sit deep and have zero outball,it's not rocket science.

Here are the games we have scored 2 or more under Phil.

Played 55....won 41...drew 8....lost 6....gf 127 ...ga 59.......I know some of these were not league games,but we would have collected a staggering 131 points out of 165 max.

Phil's problem has been his team in around 70% of games score zero or just once !,too much reliance on the keeper and defence to keep them out whilst trying to nick it at the other end.

Football the entertainment thingy with scoring more than the opponent the aim.,so set up to attack,the stats prove if we score 2 or more we normally win.

I suspect that if you look at the stats for the other 91 teams in the league that will also prove that when they score 2 or more goals they win so it most certainly does not prove that setting the team up to attack will be successful because that does not take into account the impact on the defence.

In fact comparing this year to last year indicates the complete opposite.

Last season we won promotion with the 3rd best defence but only the 15th best attack. Crucially though when we did score 2 goals we were defensively strong enough to secure the win with 14 wins out of the 15 games we scored 2 in.

This season we have scored 2 or more goals in 17 games (already more than last season) but have drawn 4 and lost one of those. So our inability to see out those games means we have less wins (12) than last season. Based on total goals scored we have the 11th best attack in League One however our poor defence (16th best) is dragging us down to 13th in the table.

Your view is so narrow minded, also bordering a simpletons view. if it was so simple every team would do it wouldn't they? I'm sure you'll find most teams who score two or more in a game tend to have walked away with the lions share of points compared to games where they havnt scored two or more.

I suspect that if you look at the stats for the other 91 teams in the league that will also prove that when they score 2 or more goals they win so it most certainly does not prove that setting the team up to attack will be successful because that does not take into account the impact on the defence.

In fact comparing this year to last year indicates the complete opposite.

Last season we won promotion with the 3rd best defence but only the 15th best attack. Crucially though when we did score 2 goals we were defensively strong enough to secure the win with 14 wins out of the 15 games we scored 2 in.

This season we have scored 2 or more goals in 17 games (already more than last season) but have drawn 4 and lost one of those. So our inability to see out those games means we have less wins (12) than last season. Based on total goals scored we have the 11th best attack in League One however our poor defence (16th best) is dragging us down to 13th in the table.

Here are the stats for this season when we concede the first goal,

played....22....won 2....drawn 4 ....lost 16 ...gf 12....ga 38.....if they had all been league games only 10 points from 66.

My theory still stands IMO ,these guys know the set up and when they concede they rarely ever get back into the game,which is truly astonishing.

Untrue !

Last season Burton conceded 39 whilst we conceded 38,they won the league we finished 5th.

Season before Chesterfield conceded 40 we conceded 39 they won the league we finished 5th.

Burton scored 15 more than us,Chesterfield scored 18 more than us.

Sorry, you are absolutely correct, you have picked three things there to prove my comment is "untrue". Whereas, there are 4 leagues and countless number of season to see if my comment is untrue ! But well played with your three line response. Bravo

Sorry, you are absolutely correct, you have picked three things there to prove my comment is "untrue". Whereas, there are 4 leagues and countless number of season to see if my comment is untrue ! But well played with your three line response. Bravo

You stated solid defenders win leagues,I just checked the last 2 seasons which disproved your point.

I agree a tight defence with the right balance in attack will take the majority of clubs into dreamland,but when the gaffer forgets the attack then those clubs usually miss out.

played....22....won 2....drawn 4 ....lost 16 ...gf 12....ga 38.....if they had all been league games only 10 points from 66.

My theory still stands IMO ,these guys know the set up and when they concede they rarely ever get back into the game,which is truly astonishing.

I selected the stats for Gillingham,I thought it would be grossly unfair to choose the top 4 or 5.

Played 23 ..won 8...drawn 4....lost 9...gf 31 ..ga 38....if they had been all league games then 28 points collected when the Gills concede first,both clubs conceded 38 yet Gillingham scored 19 more than us,the clue is there.

Yet again your stats prove nothing. I suspect there is also a strong correlation between all teams that concede first and go on to lose. Maybe we conceded first in a number of these games because we were too open and had we been more defensive minded we would not then be in that position.

Why are you choosing to ignore the very clear data that we have scored more goals this year in a higher division, are statistically a better attacking force compared to our peers this year but are defensively a lot weaker. Your "theory" is just that and does not stand up to the data.

By the way the top 4 teams in league One have the best defensive records. The top scoring team are sitting below us in 14th.

The problem is not the formations played but the way and the mindset of how they play.

If I were Ty I would do a Barry Corr and leave. It is no coincidence that whatever striker we have had under Brown, he's (and any flair player's) confidence is destroyed, as we are not set up to supply them properly. Any striker who signs to play under Brown does so at the peril of damaging their reputation as a goal scorer.

Tbh this season there have been games at which I have been bored silly by Browns tactics, especially the clean sheet mentality. When we are in front we defend too deep and allow the opposition room to get back into the game, when we are drawing it's safety 1st with lots of sideways or backwards passing. We also tend take one pass too many and the chance of a break just fizzles out.

Personally I would prefer my team to lose 'giving it a good go' rather than going out with a defensive whimper!

Yet again your stats prove nothing. I suspect there is also a strong correlation between all teams that concede first and go on to lose. Maybe we conceded first in a number of these games because we were too open and had we been more defensive minded we would not then be in that position.

Why are you choosing to ignore the very clear data that we have scored more goals this year in a higher division, are statistically a better attacking force compared to our peers this year but are defensively a lot weaker. Your "theory" is just that and does not stand up to the data.

By the way the top 4 teams in league One have the best defensive records. The top scoring team are sitting below us in 14th.

See my post prior to your one !

We have shipped 55 in 42 games,yet we conceded 15 in 4,the other 38 games we conceded just 40 !

So, in a nutshell, if we score 2 goals or more in each match and avoid conceding first we will win most of our matches.

Move along please, nothing to see here.

The problem is not the formations played but the way and the mindset of how they play.

If I were Ty I would do a Barry Corr and leave. It is no coincidence that whatever striker we have had under Brown, he's (and any flair player's) confidence is destroyed, as we are not set up to supply them properly. Any striker who signs to play under Brown does so at the peril of damaging their reputation as a goal scorer.

Tbh this season there have been games at which I have been bored silly by Browns tactics, especially the clean sheet mentality. When we are in front we defend too deep and allow the opposition room to get back into the game, when we are drawing it's safety 1st with lots of sideways or backwards passing. We also tend take one pass too many and the chance of a break just fizzles out.

Personally I would prefer my team to lose 'giving it a good go' rather than going out with a defensive whimper!

Agreed all day long !

Bents throws it out to one of our defenders,the defender plays square,the ball then moves into midfield where the ball is played back to another defender,he in turn will play square,repeat and repeat ,the ball will eventually be rolled back to Bents who then tonks it up field,boring boring boring,no zip no pace no nothing,we just grind out results normally.

Perfectly sums it up

Back