• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When will we make our first signing?

• Total voters

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
I know people always harp on that it's too early etc but it's now 5 weeks and it doesn't sound imminent that there will be a new signing incoming.

Other clubs have managed to sign some very good players. I don't buy into the myth that you should wait.

If a player is there to be signed and is of the right quality then sign them.

For some reason. The club or management don't bring players in early and potentially this damages out season.

We missed out to millwall by a single point. Had we had our signings in earlier who knows what would have happened.

What is an acceptable time period?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh....do we really need another thread about signings....it's still all the same stuff just with slightly different focus, isn't it?

We are never going to be a first choice move for any player that Brown will target.. so we must wait for them to have bigger deals fall through and the player to begin getting desperate!

That said, I think given the players we've lost our first signing ought to be a real statement of intent

I know people always harp on that it's too early etc but it's now 5 weeks and it doesn't sound imminent that there will be a new signing incoming.

Other clubs have managed to sign some very good players. I don't buy into the myth that you should wait.

If a player is there to be signed and is of the right quality then sign them.

For some reason. The club or management don't bring players in early and potentially this damages out season.

We missed out to millwall by a single point. Had we had our signings in earlier who knows what would have happened.

What is an acceptable time period?

Clubs like Bury for example finishing in 19th place last season need wholesale changes. We finished 7th, just 1 point off the Play Offs, we dont need wholesale changes, we need the right additions in key areas

Clubs like Bury for example finishing in 19th place last season need wholesale changes. We finished 7th, just 1 point off the Play Offs, we dont need wholesale changes, we need the right additions in key areas

That's providing we don't lose Lenny and ferdy. Also ranger is banged up. We could need more than you think.

We are never going to be a first choice move for any player that Brown will target.. so we must wait for them to have bigger deals fall through and the player to begin getting desperate!

That said, I think given the players we've lost our first signing ought to be a real statement of intent

This.

You will notice that players signing deals at this time of year have either had money chucked at them or are grateful to get an offer. The clubs doing the signing also tend to have had a clear out and have a lot more leeway in their budgets. We on the other hand have a lot of players already signed up for next year meaning we have less wriggle room with the remaining budget.

If you are a good player on a free transfer with a few clubs interested, which I am sure is the type of player most think we should be going for, you will be spending this time playing everyone off each other trying to get the most money and best deal you can.

This is why clubs like us (mid table budget) find it hard to sign players early. I am sure Brown would love to have a couple of deals tied up already. But it is not up to us.

Personally I wouldn't expect any new signings for another month at least.

I swear down, if PB signed up some player who's been knocking about since the dawn of time in L1/L2 the same people would be moaning about our lack of ambition.

Getting these guys with a bit of pedigree requires a bit of patience while their other offers that pay more start to drift away and they need a contract with a team like us.

I seriously doubt Simon Cox upon release from his Reading contract was on the blower with PB saying he sees SUFC as his ticket back into the international setup now but a few weeks of earning £0 all of a sudden makes **** get real.

Calm it down, it'll all be alright. I doubt we'll be playing half the U21 team on the first day of the season.

Even when Sturrock arrived and we only had 4 players under contract we didn't sign anyone until July. Chill out.

Wednesday at 2.20, Ron & PB has called a press conference to announce we're signing Gareth Bale.

Gareth_Keenan.jpg

We hear it every year that PB wants it all sorted sooner rather than later but that never comes off when we are after signings so I don't expect to sign anyone until the start of July:'(

I suspect the first real deadline is for pre-season training and thats first week July. I think PB will want new signings have a full pre-season- seem to remember getting them on board by the training camp (Spain) was another one- from memory we got Cox in just in time for that?

We are not all angst strewn idiots, who need to chill out thank you, if we happen to believe , like incidentally the majority of football Managers and what evidence there is, that it pays to get a squad settled early, through early signings. Yes it is worth waiting and gambling on the odd Gem as part of the Business plan, but thats not the main body of the aim and targets.
Scouting by all accounts continues throughout the season and many clubs are in a position even with limited budgets to properly make things happen sooner than later. Of course there are many factors at play, widely discussed already on numerous threads here as to what might influence a player to move to a particular club. Neither do many clubs like ours find it difficult to make early signings, that is a myth and I note 15 have already moved to do so

Delete the statements you disagree with;

1). We can afford every player in the world.

2) Every player in the world is queuing up to join us.

3). We always have the first choice when it comes to new signings.

4). We never have to worry about the optimum date for cash flow to bring people in.

5). Every signing will please every fan.

6). Each new signing will be a superstar from day one and score a minimum of one worldy in every match (including our keepers).

7). We do what we can, when we can.

I guess number 7 is going to be quite lonely. That's football.

Delete the statements you disagree with;

1). We can afford every player in the world.

2) Every player in the world is queuing up to join us.

3). We always have the first choice when it comes to new signings.

4). We never have to worry about the optimum date for cash flow to bring people in.

5). Every signing will please every fan.

6). Each new signing will be a superstar from day one and score a minimum of one worldy in every match (including our keepers).

7). We do what we can, when we can.

I guess number 7 is going to be quite lonely. That's football unless you are Real Madrid or Barcelona, possibly Chelsea or Man City.

Edited for accuracy

Maybe sooner than you think ;

SOUTHEND United are in talks with two midfield transfer targets. One is an experienced former Premier League player who is currently on the books of a Championship club while the other lined up in the Scottish Premiership last season.
And Blues chairman Ron Martin is working hard to bring them both to Roots Hall.
“Phil (Brown) has identified two midfield targets and we’re working towards completing those deals,” said Martin.
“We know we have to make signings to improve on last season and deals won’t be held up just because Phil is out of the country.”

Blues are looking to bolster their midfield options following Will Atkinson’s decision to join Mansfield and are also keen on bringing in defenders.

Back