• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When will we make our first signing?

• Total voters
We are not all angst strewn idiots, who need to chill out thank you, if we happen to believe , like incidentally the majority of football Managers and what evidence there is, that it pays to get a squad settled early, through early signings. Yes it is worth waiting and gambling on the odd Gem as part of the Business plan, but thats not the main body of the aim and targets.
Scouting by all accounts continues throughout the season and many clubs are in a position even with limited budgets to properly make things happen sooner than later. Of course there are many factors at play, widely discussed already on numerous threads here as to what might influence a player to move to a particular club. Neither do many clubs like ours find it difficult to make early signings, that is a myth and I note 15 have already moved to do so

Speaking as an angst strewn idiot myself it would really be very nice if one summer it was us making the early signings. That said I do wonder after last season whether getting players in early equals a good season is also becoming a bit of a myth. We signed later than anyone but finished above 75% of them. Some of the early signers struggled all season. Ultimately its the quality of the signings that's the key thing. I think there's also something about seeing the 'bigger picture' (cliché alert) - maybe we don't make signings as early as most fans would like but overall we've done very well over the last few seasons.

ps ignore the rogue smiley before the quote I've no idea how to remove it!

Last edited by a moderator:
The best time to do your summer transfer business is January. Gives you 6 months or so to bed them in.

Although you need a manager with a long term plan in order to do that.

We need to settle our central defence early but Atkinson's replacement can be more of a last minute job.

The best time to do your summer transfer business is January. Gives you 6 months or so to bed them in.

Although you need a manager with a long term plan in order to do that.

We need to settle our central defence early but Atkinson's replacement can be more of a last minute job.

I make you right which is why Anton still not signing is a concern. Might be looking for 2 quality CB soon plus cover

Even when Sturrock arrived and we only had 4 players under contract we didn't sign anyone until July. Chill out.
We had an embargo so couldn't sign players but Sturrock had players join us within days of being here , so although you armay be technically correct ( I can't recall the exact date it was lifted) it's a very misleading statement

I make you right which is why Anton still not signing is a concern. Might be looking for 2 quality CB soon plus cover

Fancy an International Central defender who has also played holding midfield , still only 32 , former cup winning & goalscoring exploits at Southend United , who made his International debut against England at Wembley? Would also satisfy the cravings of all those who only want us to sign former Shrimpers ..........
[h=1]Zoltán Lipták :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:[/h]

We had an embargo so couldn't sign players but Sturrock had players join us within days of being here , so although you armay be technically correct ( I can't recall the exact date it was lifted) it's a very misleading statement

That's true but players signed a pre-contract agreement to say they'd sign contracts when the embargo was lifted. That's my understanding, anyway.

That was the pre-contract agreements that I was talking about, he didn't have anyone signed up until July. No-one signed a contract until about a week before the season started in August.

That was the pre-contract agreements that I was talking about, he didn't have anyone signed up until July. No-one signed a contract until about a week before the season started in August.

That was how I thought it.

He was awarding out the medals at a football tournament my youngest played in. The compare announced "Ladies and gentlemen, the bar is now closed, the bar is closed........sorry Ray!"

Shortly to be in the bottom 4 of clubs making early season signings. I see Bury have now brought in 9, four in the last 6 days. Only one involving a fee, and some decent players in there from Thompson, to Beckford , Calum O Reilly. O Connell ( Celtic ) and Dawson, Scunthorpe. Now thats what I call getting em in early. Lee Clark is also an experienced operator with a good eye. Be interesting to see how they go though, and whether 9 new faces can settle in. Some Bookmakers reducing their odds on promotion. Personally Id be surprised given the stiffness of the competition this year. I thought they were broke, but some good signings in there for free, that I wouldnt have minded seeing here?

Shortly to be in the bottom 4 of clubs making early season signings. I see Bury have now brought in 9, four in the last 6 days. Only one involving a fee, and some decent players in there from Thompson, to Beckford , Calum O Reilly. O Connell ( Celtic ) and Dawson, Scunthorpe. Now thats what I call getting em in early. Lee Clark is also an experienced operator with a good eye. Be interesting to see how they go though, and whether 9 new faces can settle in. Some Bookmakers reducing their odds on promotion. Personally Id be surprised given the stiffness of the competition this year. I thought they were broke, but some good signings in there for free, that I wouldnt have minded seeing here?

Same was said about them early last season aswell.

Back