• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Where are these crap trialists coming from?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 27 2005,09:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 27 2005,09:32)]Brilliant, how do you think em up!
By watching videos of goals Darryl has conceded, I imagine. The only thing more startling than your negativity about the club is your total unwillingness even to recognise that Flahavan has many flaws as a keeper.
To be fair Matt, its equally true that there are people on here who refuse to give Flahavan any credit when he does play well too.

Both camps are equally irritating imo.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ July 27 2005,14:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 27 2005,14:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ July 27 2005,14:05)]I take all of your posts now with a pinch of salt
Mine?
Only a pinch?

laugh.gif
Bothered!

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 27 2005,15:54)]To be fair Matt, its equally true that there are people on here who refuse to give Flahavan any credit when he does play well too.
I will give Flahavan as much credit as he warrants. Having been party to a couple of excellent DVDs winging my way over the past season which has enabled to see all the action from here in Spain (without getting ripped off by Blues World), I have to say that Flahavan has indeed produced two or three fine saves in the last campaign that may well have contributed significantly to our successful climb out of the basement.

However there are equally enough bloopers in those performances to contribute a sizeable chunk of video to the "how not to do it" coaching video. He's certainly not the best keeper in the lower divisions; far from it. He has some talent but his inability to deal with the high ball into the area - perfectly demonstrated in the play-off final at Cardiff; pray thanks to Bentley for his quick reactions - still worries me considerably. Equally Griemink's apparent lack of agility to contend with shots is very apparent.

Flahavan may be a decent little keeper. But the fact that only Havant & Waterlooville have come up with a firm offer in the past seems to suggest that he's not as good as he - or others - think he is ...

WS

I f my memory serves me right wasnt darryl offered a trial match for brighton when wignall released him but instead darryl decided not to bother turning up, its little wonder no clubs have come in for him seeing as though he seems to share the same disease as most footballers theses days, the symptons are: money, half days work, arrogance and all round stubborness to accept what your given and what your offered. Maybe Lawrie wants to stop biting the hands that have fed him for over a year and sign for us seeing as we were the 1s that took him from the depths of reserve football at northampton.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 27 2005,14:54)]
[b said:
[b said:
By watching videos of goals Darryl has conceded, I imagine.  The only thing more startling than your negativity about the club is your total unwillingness even to recognise that Flahavan has many flaws as a keeper.
To be fair Matt, its equally true that there are people on here who refuse to give Flahavan any credit when he does play well too.

Ah, that'll be me then.

I don't give Flahavan much credit because he doesn't warrant much credit under my criteria of what makes a good keeper.

Its nothing personal, my criteria is the same for each keeper. Flahavan repeatedly falls short when measured against this criteria. Basically I think shot-stoppers are ten a penny. Decent reflexes and agility are pretty much a given - what separates a decent shotstopper from a decent goalkeeper is that decent goalkeepers have good positioning, good decision-making and an ability to command their area. Flahavan rarely exhibits any of these attributes. In addition, he has a limited reach, meaning that saves he make often look spectacular, when with a keeper with a bigger reach, the save would look comfortable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 27 2005,18:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 27 2005,14:54)]
[b said:
[b said:
By watching videos of goals Darryl has conceded, I imagine. The only thing more startling than your negativity about the club is your total unwillingness even to recognise that Flahavan has many flaws as a keeper.

Ah, that'll be me then.

I don't give Flahavan much credit because he doesn't warrant much credit under my criteria of what makes a good keeper.

Its nothing personal, my criteria is the same for each keeper. Flahavan repeatedly falls short when measured against this criteria. Basically I think shot-stoppers are ten a penny. Decent reflexes and agility are pretty much a given - what separates a decent shotstopper from a decent goalkeeper is that decent goalkeepers have good positioning, good decision-making and an ability to command their area. Flahavan rarely exhibits any of these attributes. In addition, he has a limited reach, meaning that saves he make often look spectacular, when with a keeper with a bigger reach, the save would look comfortable.
I'm not blind to Flahavan's faults (it was me who was the first on here to mention the shocking position he took up for Norwich's goal at the weekend). But theres not a single player at this football club, or indeed at this level, who doesn't have faults in their game which have prevented them from playing at a higher level.

IMO shot stopping and command of the area & the defence are equally important. When we had Neville Southall down here he had decision making skills and command of the back line that was second to none. But he could barely move so really thats not much good. I'd agree that shot stoppers are more common, but Darryl is one of the best shot stoppers around. He makes mistakes and he'll cost us goals this season, but he'll keep us in games too.

Mel Capelton was just a shot stopper. And he was found out quickly. The fact that Flahavan has played the best part of 200 games under four different managers would tend to suggest that he's doing something right and that they don't think that the flaws in his game are terminal. The fact that opposition managers like Steve Thompson, Ian Atkins and Colin Calderwood have been quick to specifically praise Flahavan after games last season would tend to back that up too.

I really wasn't intending to spend this long defending him, particularly as I was one of those who welcomed the decision to bring Grimienk in last summer. It annoys me when I come on here and see people blinding supporting Darryl, but it also annoys me when I read stuff from people who give the impression that they sit at games waiting for him to make a mistake so they can abuse him.

Think we need another signing so that we don't have to go down this terribly beaten track once more.

I think every post starting with or containing "I don't want to turn this in to another Bart vs Darryl debate, but..." should be banned

biggrin.gif

You're not wrong.

I don't even know how this became another goalkeeping debate.....

Back