• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gabriel

Shrimpers,

Done a Q&A with supporter Callum Connolly on your lot ahead of the new season - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2016/southend-united-season-preview-browns-behaviour/

Would be interested to know where you think you'll finish this year? I've said 18th. I think you've made a couple of good signings in Demetriou and Cox but lost your 2 best players as well, and not sure how stable the ship is after Brown's comments on the Bolton job.

Good luck for the season.

With our current squad I'm thinking about 16th but with 2 or 3 quality addition I think we can finish top 10

at present im not to sure,if Ranger signs and shows us why he was highly regarded early inhis career and can form a parth
nership with Cox, and we get another midfielder and cb of quality ,then we can surely push for playoffs, otherwise relegation fight is on the cards.

I firmly believe we will be in the top five - maybe even champions. But I think that every year. I'm also quite tempted to tell Gabriel to go and do one with his 18th place bollocks, but I'm very impressed with the Football Lab website and can see myself wasting many hours of company time looking through it, so I will content myself with 'I think you're underestimating the Mighty Shrimpers'.

Payne was not one of our top 2 players because he had a good last few months of the season, he rarely featured in the first half of the season where we actually got better results so I don't think losing him is going to make us fall down the league.

Would be very dissapointed and suprised if we finish as low as 18th, I think 10th-14th is probably where we'll end up but would hope to sneak into the playoffs.

The effect of Brown's Bolton comments (if any) would have been shown in our dip of form at the end of last season. I think it's highly unlikely that they're going to have any impact on this season

Same as last season. Middle of the pack. We don't have the quality or depth to trouble the play-offs at present.

I am alarmed by the Tuesday game,midfield was nowhere to be seen,continue playing like that and we are in big trouble.

Will largely depend on our luck with injuries. Our momentum from promotion has now gone and our end to last season was worrying to say the least. Our manager is actively hawking himself about for any job going, two of our best players have left. One of our two existing centre backs is 37 and we're signing another one that was released by Yeovil, who finished lower mid-table in League Two. The squad is paper-thin and two of our more accomplished central midfielders will miss the first few weeks of the season. On that basis, I'm looking frantically around for four teams worse than us.

On the plus side Simon Cox looks an astute signing, if Nile Ranger has indeed grown up those two could be a real handful. You can't tell a lot from pre-season but Mooney who disappointed last season looks sharp and confident and we all know what a player he could be if he finds the type of form he showed at Orient. Ryan Leonard is improving every year and Ben Coker is still here (although he may have had his head turned). Jason Demetriou is a genuinely exciting signing at this level and McGlashan has a bit about him although question marks surround his end product.

The beauty of lower league football is we could just as easily finish 24th as top. I have no idea what to expect, but my gut feeling is that Gabriel could well be on the money.

I firmly believe we will be in the top five - maybe even champions. But I think that every year. I'm also quite tempted to tell Gabriel to go and do one with his 18th place bollocks, but I'm very impressed with the Football Lab website and can see myself wasting many hours of company time looking through it, so I will content myself with 'I think you're underestimating the Mighty Shrimpers'.

It's like going to the toilet at work, you get added enjoyment knowing you're being paid for it!

It's like going to the toilet at work, you get added enjoyment knowing you're being paid for it!

one of my best mates is a contractor at Fords, he had a spread sheet showing what he had been paid for the year to date whilst sitting on the toilet. Like you it made him smile . he used to say that he could make a profit from a good night out at an Indian :winking:

one of my best mates is a contractor at Fords, he had a spread sheet showing what he had been paid for the year to date whilst sitting on the toilet. Like you it made him smile . he used to say that he could make a profit from a good night out at an Indian :winking:

The kind of attitude that make Britain great:stunned:

I wouldn't call Payne our 'best player', player with most potential maybe but whilst he won us some matches he was also anonymous in others. Bentley is a much bigger loss but Oxley sounds like a decent replacement based off pre season, the key to the season will be Ryan Leonard, when he got injured our season collapsed, as a defensive midfielder he doesn't get noticed by many opposition fans but he's one of our most important players. I'm expecting mid table but wouldn't be surprised if we end up in a relegation battle should Leonard get injured again.

Depends if we can bring in a quality centre-half while also keeping the likes of Timlin & Wordsworth fit. If we can then we can be somewhere inside the top half in my opinion.

Rusty, thanks for the kind words - err... I think? ;-) Will gladly come back on here in May, whatever the outcome.

I'll settle for top half of the table this season. Play offs would be pushing it but hey, it's Southend we are talking about. Never say never.

I think that we have the basis of a decent first team that can trouble anyone. However, i do feel the squad offers nowhere near enough cover for suspension, injury and inevitable loss of form during a 46 game league season. Lack of strength in depth may take a top ten first team...towards the lower reaches.
We need to add some quality.
16th

IMO we have a good a squad then we had last season, although of course, this remains to be seen yet.

I think we will finish somewhere in the middle third of the table again.... hopefully 9th, but i would be happy if we showed progress on last seasons 14th place finish.

Back