• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who and why?

Has Lennon been put in a special group on his own?
How about Entertainments Manager, The Fatling, Hornchurch?

You want to know? Well, truth is I was going to come back to him but then forgot. Unpopular opinion, but I think our best defensive pairing this season has been Lennon and John White. If it can be done, then I'd keep Lennon - I think he'd learn a lot from Campbell.

Just out of interest OBL (and for others who say the same), Why release Theo ?

I would like to see what Sol can get him playing like. if he does go, you know he'll come back and haunt us.

Out of the two, I would rather lose Humphrys. Theo is so much quicker and he's work rate better.

Age. Listen, I love Theo and think he's been great in two stints with us, even though we've hardly played to his strengths this time, but Humps has age on his side.

Its good to see amongst all the moaning we can have some fun with a fantasy thread where you can 'release' half your team in January. The problem is some on here might think this is real.

Rons was putting £200,000 per month in the club to stay a float. That figure will have to rise no doubt for November and December because of our lack of games

Who will pay off all these released players and the even bigger contracts for the new 'much better' players. To risk their career with a January move their agents will want well above the going rate.

L2 will be difficult for us next season but if we dont keep our heads and deal with the situation ( unlike our back 5 :Whistling:)......Then we will be joining Bury and Macclesfield instead of having a summer to get the right people in for a promotion challenge.

Fwiw I’m referring to releasing once their contracts have expired end of season, of course we’re not.going to pay them all off. Thought the members of the forum would have that much common sense to fathom that

Age. Listen, I love Theo and think he's been great in two stints with us, even though we've hardly played to his strengths this time, but Humps has age on his side.

I see your point, but the way they both play I would have said Theo looks the 22 year old and Humps in his 30's (as of recent performances).

I am not a Humphrys fan, but would still give him credit where due which I just don't think he is due it at the moment.

Why would you get rid of McLaughlin? He's our most creative player and a true winger, something we're sadly lacking in?

Macca to be fair was the hardest choice but over the past two seasons he has been way too inconsistent and I imagine one of our higher earners. Being down a division we’ll be looking to cut budgets. Furthermore being one of the most creative in this team doesn’t say much.

Fwiw I’m referring to releasing once their contracts have expired end of season, of course we’re not.going to pay them all off. Thought the members of the forum would have that much common sense to fathom that

Which is exactly why you can't "bin the lot" now.

I'm not referring to you. Hence why it's in quotation marks. If I was quoting you, I would have quoted your post saying it.

I'm actually in agreement with your post #24 and am referring to recent other posts saying we should do just that.

I'm not referring to you. Hence why it's in quotation marks. If I was quoting you, I would have quoted your post saying it.

I'm actually in agreement with your post #24 and am referring to recent other posts saying we should do just that.
Apologies, just finishing a 12 hour shift, tired and obviously not quite on the ball.

Apologies, just finishing a 12 hour shift, tired and obviously not quite on the ball.

Sounds like our defence.

No worries, mate. Your original post was excellent. Listing exactly where we are, going forward, and sparked an interesting debate. :Thumbs up:

Come January i dont think theres many we can release,maybe at seasons end we can release some,definitely need a GK,a tough mean CB, same goes for a DM or 2.plus a creative midfielder.Will leave who to release until seasons end,but i definitely believe we will be in league 2 next season unless Sol is a miracle performer.

[QUOTE="stewart, post: 2205842, member: 15168",but i definitely believe we will be in league 2 next season unless Sol is a miracle performer.[/QUOTE]

Which will be 5 years after our play off victory v Wycombe. Since that day, we came very close to the play offs 2 seasons later ( thank god we didn't get there & win it? ), & that's about it?.
Wycombe spent another season ( or two?, cant remember! ) in League 2, but since then have established themselves as a decent League 1 team, def in with a shout of getting promoted this season.
So we start again next season, & pray the negativity is replaced by positivity with some fresh blood in the team who give a damn?.
Personally dont care about reaching the Championship any more, ( IMO that wont happen again? ) , would just be content with my club stabilising themselves, without the threat of plummeting further down the ladder.

Out of the two, I would rather lose Humphrys. Theo is so much quicker and he's work rate better.

Let’s look at the tale of the tape;

..................................... Theo .............Humphrys

Age..................................30 ................... 22

Career Apps .................. 462 ................. 95

Goals ............................. 109 ................. 34

Number of clubs ............ 14 ................... 5

Open goals missed ........ 163 ................. 0

Late for team coach ........ 1 .................... 0

Bags of sand trapped ...... 0 ....................12

Games of FIFA won ......... 0................ unbeaten

Sock rating .................. 9/10 .................. 2/10

I think those stats speak for themselves tbh.

I'd keep Theo, he shouldn't be starting but he's a good plan B, especially against slower centre backs where we can play long balls for him to run on to. Yes he'll probably miss but at least it stretches the opposition defence and makes them uncomfortable.

Let’s look at the tale of the tape;

..................................... Theo .............Humphrys

Age..................................30 ................... 22

Career Apps .................. 462 ................. 95

Goals ............................. 109 ................. 34

Number of clubs ............ 14 ................... 5

Open goals missed ........ 163 ................. 0

Late for team coach ........ 1 .................... 0

Bags of sand trapped ...... 0 ....................12

Games of FIFA won ......... 0................ unbeaten

Sock rating .................. 9/10 .................. 2/10

I think those stats speak for themselves tbh.

See that FIFA stat is my whole issue. I am sure the open goals missed is incorrect as well :Smile:

See that FIFA stat is my whole issue. I am sure the open goals missed is incorrect as well :Smile:

Agreed, at first I thought Theo’s open goal misses would have been higher, but I’ve had the stats verified by Opta, and they check out.

Also - on a more serious note - I have a non-aggressive beef with your idea of pitting Hump against Theo.

If we’re gunna pit Theo against anyone, in the battle of who should stay, I’d match him against Cox.

And Theo would win.

Agreed, at first I thought Theo’s open goal misses would have been higher, but I’ve had the stats verified by Opta, and they check out.

Also - on a more serious note - I have a non-aggressive beef with your idea of pitting Hump against Theo.

If we’re gunna pit Theo against anyone, in the battle of who should stay, I’d match him against Cox.

And Theo would win.

I see your point and agree.

On a really honest note, if we set up some ironman / stamina and fitness tests, I bet Theo would beat them both.

I see your point and agree.

On a really honest note, if we set up some ironman / stamina and fitness tests, I bet Theo would beat them both.

You could well be right. However, I’m not basing my judgement on stamina and fitness. More to do with the ability of working in a team, and not being a ****. Theo was never a great player, but he never fell into that category above. Same with Hump IMHO, who will thrive on a reshuffle in personnel, (again IMHO).

Actually, Hump & Theo could have been a relatively interesting partnership.

Don’t get me wrong, I think we need to look elsewhere other than Theo, as there is too much water under the bridge & he’s not getting any younger.

But from our current strikeforce, there are far more deserving of the axe than him.

I'm staggered that most people aren't suggesting we should aim to clear out as many of the current crop as possible (not that anybody would be foolish enough to take them),
Honestly, if somebody told me tomorrow that contracts could be torn up without financial penalty, then I'd only look to keep Hopper, Bwomono, Demetriou and White. The rest can **** right off, as they are deeply infected with the losing mentality, and/or don't give two ****s about the club.

Back