• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Who do we keep? NEW VOTE

Which players should we KEEP

• Total voters
I selected the following and not just because they are crap

Financial Reasons
Oxley
Demetriou

Too Injury Prone
Coker
Lennon
Hyam

Too Old
Turner

...and in my opinion these are crap
Kightly
McLaughlin
Dieng
Mantom
Ba

Loanees

Try and keep
Moore
Hart

Release
Bunn

I would also try and release Kiernan who isn't on the list of options as i would imagine he is too expensive and is too injury prone.

I would also release Robinson IF we keep Hopper, Humphrys and Cox - i think that will be a big IF.

I’ve voted. We need a clear out in my view, so everyone on my list plus anyone else who we can’t afford or doesn’t fancy it. Not scared of doing a Sturrock and starting again.

I would assume the following players have release clauses and/or, will not return;

Oxley, Demetriou, Coker, Kightly, McLaughlin

Would clear up a lot of wages at least.

To get rid of people you need a club to want to take them off our hands. Unfortunately the last two seasons have seen a lot of dross bought by both brown and Powell.

Kightly 96.4% want him gone. I hope you read this Kightly, you've been an absolute embarrassment this season. Dieng, I hope your read this too, second place, just go away PLEASE!

Edit: Sorry Tim, Turner's second, you're third. You've still been an utter disgrace, Powell's blind faith in you was part of his downfall.

I would assume the following players have release clauses and/or, will not return;

Oxley, Demetriou, Coker, Kightly, McLaughlin

Would clear up a lot of wages at least.

Coker's contract is up. Out of the others, I'd like to keep Oxley and Deme, however I'm assuming they're amongst the highest earners? If they have the chance to walk away on a release clause I wouldn't blame them.

Kightly might have a release clause too, but who TF is going to take him? We're stuck with him leeching his rumoured 5-7k a week in league 2 (or league 1 if we get the miracle next week). No one's going to want to match that for someone who's knackered after 10 minutes.:Angry:

Macca's the dilemma, he's had a dreadful season, yet we know he's capable of more. It's probably best for all if he moves on IMO.

Last edited:
I think once players have decided to leave, exercised relegation clauses or been released I'd like something similar to the below;

Goalkeepers:
Nathan Bishop

Defenders:
Rob Kiernan
John White
Harry Lennon
Elvis Bwomono
Sam Hart

Midfielders:
Dru Yearwood
Harry Bunn
Michael Klass
Isaac Hutchinson
Sam Barratt
Lewis Gard

Strikers:
Simon Cox
Tom Hopper
Stephen Humphrys

I suspect Mantom and Dieng may stay though so can add those on. This is if we go down.

I’d be keeping Mantom for sure. There’s a very good player in there and for me he never hasn’t given 100%. The blend in midfield has been all wrong this season and Tim Dieng has been woeful since October. Get Mantom alongside a McCormack type and we have a player there.

It’s not gonna be simple. We have big earners here and we don’t have many out of contract. There could be very dark days ahead again if we go down. Do you think we’d have been smart enough to put relegation release clauses in these deals?

Agree with all of that.

As for the bit in bold - We weren’t smart enough, to do it back when we went contract-crazy in The Championship era.

Absolutely nothing inspires me that we’ve learned our lessons from that mistake, and as I’ve mentioned for the last few months, this time, as you’ve rightly said, there could be very very dark days ahead.

We have to be very careful we don't 'throw away the baby with the bathwater' here.

On 1st Jan this year we were 9th in the table (effectively at half way stage).

Without doubt a combination of long term key injuries, bad luck, bad judgement, mistakes etc have combined, conspired (?) to leave us where we are now.

Even if it was possible (and it won't be) wholesale clearance is not going to happen. Only at Southend can we go from the despair and anger of Good Friday to the ecstasy and joy on Easter Monday, to back to despair and harsh reality now.

Yes there will be changes at the end of season, there always is and injury prone players will be more at risk than those on long term contracts. If/when we go down, the crucial signing will be at Management level.

There is also this assumption that we are somehow going to end up with better players than those that leave. Unfortunately 'better players' often come with baggage. I think gaps will more likely be filled by the younger players coming through.

With regard to Mantom, those who think he doesn't care, have you seen the pictures of him celebrating Dieng's winning goal against Burton? He may not be a Captain, but 5 goals and 3 assists in league 1 compares well with Timlin's 1 goal and 1 assist in the league below on a similar number of games.

Agree with all of that.

As for the bit in bold - We weren’t smart enough, to do it back when we went contract-crazy in The Championship era.

Absolutely nothing inspires me that we’ve learned our lessons from that mistake, and as I’ve mentioned for the last few months, this time, as you’ve rightly said, there could be very very dark days ahead.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. If Ron hasn't learnt then that is on him and he can't moan.

Surprised people seem happy to keep Elvis. I wouldn't trust him in L2 to be honest. If Demetriou was to go then we'd need to bring in a RB

Surprised people seem happy to keep Elvis. I wouldn't trust him in L2 to be honest. If Demetriou was to go then we'd need to bring in a RB

Bwomono has been one of our better players in the last few games. I think he has done well enough to deserve his role. He is only 20 though so I would expect us to bring in a versatile defender at any rate.

Bwomono has been one of our better players in the last few games. I think he has done well enough to deserve his role. He is only 20 though so I would expect us to bring in a versatile defender at any rate.
He was pretty poor yesterday

He was pretty poor yesterday

I wasn't there yesterday, but against Burton he was superb. Was fairly good against Wycombe I thought too. A good tutor to bring in an help him is all he needs I reckon. I hope Demi stays but don't think he will.

He is what he is; a good prospect, who simply isn’t ready for extended runs in the first team.

The good thing is, he’ll be on low wages.

If Demetriou leaves, then I’d agree with you, we’d certainly need a new RB.

But we won’t/shouldn’t need to get rid of what is effectively a youth team player, to achieve that.

I've only voted for 4 players, all midfielders, which sums up our season.

Kightly, although I think he will want to come out and say I want to get the club promoted. McLaughlin, Dieng and Hyam. They're 4 players who are under contract that we'll need to try and agree terms for them to leave, transfer or loan. They all also have a year left on their current contracts which makes a huge difference.

I've kept Mantom to the surprise of many. Despite some poor offerings he has still popped up with 5 or 6 goals his season, he also has two years left on his contract.

Smith, Hendrie, Coker, Turner, White, Barratt, Wabo and possible Ba are all out of contract his season so there is no TRY necessary, it will just happen. I would like whoever steps in to retain White and Barratt although it's probably 50/50.

Back