• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Seems a different topic to Sol’s leaving, so here’s a new thread.

For me there’s 3 kinds of appointment that we can have...

OPTION 1: Barrett, Tilson, Maher

Reconnect with the fans and bring back some of the feel good factor.

OPTION 2: Fagan, Maher.

Cheap and know the youngsters well having brought them through.

OPTION 3: Unknown - Paul Hurst? Kieth Hill?

More of a journeyman type but for me this is where we need to look, a man with a contact book like Sturrock who can bring people in.

What do you think?

Reactions: RHB
Seems a different topic to Sol’s leaving, so here’s a new thread.

For me there’s 3 kinds of appointment that we can have...

OPTION 1: Barrett, Tilson, Maher

Reconnect with the fans and bring back some of the feel good factor.

OPTION 2: Fagan, Maher.

Cheap and know the youngsters well having brought them through.

OPTION 3: Unknown - Paul Hurst? Kieth Hill?

More of a journeyman type but for me this is where we need to look, a man with a contact book like Sturrock who can bring people in.

What do you think?
Option 1 I do not buy this need to reconnect to the fans and bring back the feel good factor stuff, the same was said about CP. If they start badly and we are bottom come October / November there would be no reconnect (or it would have gone) and there would be no feel good factor. People would be screaming for their heads.

Option 2 both untested (as is Barrett in option 1, Maher appears on both option), however if we are going to go untested then why not give them a go (will include AB for this sentence as well). However us fans need to give them time even if things are going bad, dont get on their backs, dont get on the teams back, but sadly that’s wont happen as non league football would (I feel) be the end.

Option 3 the “veteran” managers option both names are solid, prefer Hurst to HIll personally. However you then have the issue of do they live and breath the club as RM has mentioned.

I have no idea who it will be but whoever they will get my backing. I will put all sentiment aside and hope they do well be it a club legend or someone not associated with the club at all or for long.

I can see Fagan. He has done well and with the youth team coming through, might as well.

Martin can't pay wages so compensation is out I bet. The place is a mess so not sure Adam would come here given where Millwall are but he wasn't a Rowett appointment so might be let go...

Maybe Maher but still, under contract at Bristol Rovers. I wish there was a CEO, faith in Martin's appointments is... not great.

AB&T would be great.

Maher in the mix, would also be great.

But for right now, it has to be Fagan. He’s liked and respected by the squad, who will play out of their skins for him. I’m told that he is very good at man management.

It needs to be someone who wants to build around the kids and who has a long term strategy and the patience to see it out.

This is a far less attractive job than it was a year ago when Ron appointed Bond. We're a division lower, there's less budget, there's a transfer embargo, there's a points deduction hanging over us, we're a club in freefall who has churned through 8 managers in 2 years.

I think I'd be looking at non-league options rather than re-treads tried and failed in the Football League.

Mark Bentley is currently at Canvey, would be a good man to have around the Club.

Maybe as assistant or first team coach, but not as a manager for me. Barrett wouldn’t be remotely interested in taking an assistant job, but Maher or Fagan might. Would personally like to see Barrett with Maher/Fagan as assistant. Or Fagan/Maher as manager/assistant if Barrett doesn’t want it or Millwall won’t let him go.

Milligan + Shaunessy, no one liked them, so no pedistal to be knocked off. Knows just as much about managing SUFC as Campbell did.

I really don’t see the appeal with someone like Paul Hurst whatsoever. Would be a completely underwhelming appointment.

Definitely need someone who can give everyone a lift and knows lower leagues and can work on next to nothing budget.Trouble is Ron likes to appoint big named personel but this doesn't work

Non experience will not get this club out of league 2 also recruitment is vital experienced managers have contacts . We need experience !!!!!

Someone with a good contact book. We have some good kids but desperately need some experience and physicality and leadership or else we will be bullied out of this division and hitting the Conference before you know it.

Given the big thing Ron made of passion for club/almost a religion and it starting from the top/manager down then he has painted himself into a little bit of a corner as for me it precludes managers who have no previous history with the club. So I think he has done this because either he has the replacement lined up or has a very clear idea who will be on his shortlist.

Back