• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
I wouldn't mind Maher. I watched a lot of Chelmsford City when he was caretaker manager and had Jack Bridge and Jason Williams playing on loan from us. It was good football to watch. I often saw Him and Coughlan at non league games locally as well so may well be able to bring in cheap unpolished gems which might be a valuable asset if there is no money.

I have always felt that Adam Barratt has the credentials to be a good manager. Was a great captain and leader and always expects 100 per cent commitment from fellow players. Steve Tilson as his assistant would be an ideal team with the added value that they are Shrimpers through and through. Kevin Maher is quite rightly regarded as a legend at the club. However, his record is not totally convincing. Limited success as caretaker manager at Chelmsford. Results as under 23 coach with us was not as good as Craig Fagan, and being assistant at Bristol Rovers has not been a success, in fact their performance at Roots Hall was awful although that could well be down to the manager rather than Kevin.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. He managed us in the 80s, a lot has changed since then grandad ?

I wasn't suggesting he's in the frame for the job now.You're the one who called him a "dinosaur" not me.That's just insulting.As anyone's who heard his BBC Essex broadcasts knows,Paul Clark is extremely knowlegable about the modern game.

Talking about insulting, while it's a fact that I'm a Grandfather to a 3 year old boy,I don't consider that to be an insult at all.Nor would you if you're lucky enough to see your children have kids,which I hope you will be.

On the substantive point about "a lot has changed since the 80's",I agree.Not all of it for the better (especially as that was the Thatcher decade). :Winking:

I have always felt that Adam Barratt has the credentials to be a good manager. Was a great captain and leader and always expects 100 per cent commitment from fellow players. Steve Tilson as his assistant would be an ideal team with the added value that they are Shrimpers through and through. Kevin Maher is quite rightly regarded as a legend at the club. However, his record is not totally convincing. Limited success as caretaker manager at Chelmsford. Results as under 23 coach with us was not as good as Craig Fagan, and being assistant at Bristol Rovers has not been a success, in fact their performance at Roots Hall was awful although that could well be down to the manager rather than Kevin.
Probably at the moment in order it would go Barrett- Fagan- Maher. The former is the one least likely to be available by his choice or his clubs I would guess- hence Fagan may well be in pole position. Would Maher come as Fagan’s number 2? Would Fagan consider Tilly as his Assistant rather than go find his own? Some interesting potential combinations involving the 3 options and who they might want/ be willing work with

I wasn't suggesting he's in the frame for the job now.You're the one who called him a "dinosaur" not me.That's just insulting.As anyone's who heard his BBC Essex broadcasts knows,Paul Clark is extremely knowlegable about the modern game.

Talking about insulting, while it's a fact that I'm a Grandfather to a 3 year old boy,I don't consider that to be an insult at all.Nor would you if you're lucky enough to see your children have kids,which I hope you will be.

On the substantive point about "a lot has changed since the 80's",I agree.Not all of it for the better (especially as that was the Thatcher decade). :Winking:

It wasn't intended as an insult, just a lighthearted jibe as I know you are an older gentleman. No different to the regular old man Cricko quips he gets on a regular basis.

My opinion is that he is a dinosaur, I do listen to and generally dread when he is on the commentary as it is endless clichés and a very old school certainty that the way they used to do things is the right way. Much prefer Pennyfather, you can tell he managed this century.

It wasn't intended as an insult, just a lighthearted jibe as I know you are an older gentleman. No different to the regular old man Cricko quips he gets on a regular basis.

My opinion is that he is a dinosaur, I do listen to and generally dread when he is on the commentary as it is endless clichés and a very old school certainty that the way they used to do things is the right way. Much prefer Pennyfather, you can tell he managed this century.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Paul Clark. (I regularly hear his (home) and Penny's (away) commentary on iFollow.While it's certainly true that PC is "old school" he achieved a lot more in the game than Penny ever did.Chelmsford City fc, as manager, wasn't it?

Does anyone know what happened to Gary waddock? Not that I want him as manager but I remember seeing that he got a job with the youth team or something along those lines. I have a bad feeling Ron has been planning waddocks magical comeback all along ?

Does anyone know what happened to Gary waddock? Not that I want him as manager but I remember seeing that he got a job with the youth team or something along those lines. I have a bad feeling Ron has been planning waddocks magical comeback all along ?

Do you really?

He did indeed get a job with a youth team, but not Southend Utd's.

Got to be Fagan, surely? He would be a good choice, not to mention that he'll cost less than the others I suspect......

I think it completely depends on whether there is money there to bring in the players we desperately need to bring in. If the plan is to wheel out essentially the same squad we had this year - which is a youth team with some promising players - then we'll likely be relegated by Easter no matter what. If that is the plan then I see the logic in Fagan as he is in-house and at least knows the players.

If Martin somehow has the finances available to enable any new manager to put out a team that can fight for a lower-midtable finish then I think it should be someone with experience with managing at this level and a long list of players who he has managed before and managed against before. Tisdale seems the best fit for me.

Back