• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who??....

Who would you support if SUFC was no more..?

• For Southendians: Another national club

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For Exiles: Southend Manor

• For Exiles: Another local club (in Southend area)

• Total voters
I could not follow any other club,if from the ashes arose a AFC Southend then all very well.You only ever have one club. In life things change all the time, you lose family ,friends marriages break up ,but what ever happens , you only ever support one team....Your club...SUFC... till I die

Great Wakering Rovers for me - cant belive there isn't an option for them, but the only team local that i could support. Doesnt matter that they are in the Ryman, they'll be my next side.

Last edited:
There could be no other team for me.

Also, this talk of "AFC Southend" really irritates me. Why, when a new club rises from the ashes, must it have the letters AFC preceeding it?? It sounds rubbish. I would favour a more imaginitive name based on the club's history such as Southend 1906 FC

I think its just more of a term for a reborn club - if and when it comes to it a name would be debated.

Also Groyney likes to harp on about Southend Manor why??? they have their own history a club needs to be born again from the ashes not just going and watching somebody else.

Thats my opinion anyway.

The oldest team in the world !!

I saw them play Billericay Town in the 1977 Fa vase final , both at Wembley and the replay at Notts Forest

Me too! We were all given the afternoon off school to go to Forest for the replay.. happy days

So I guess I'd keep an eye on Billericay Town, plus of course any reincarnation of SUFC.

And I must confess to a guilty liking for Spurs, always been my second pro team.

I feel dirty now.

Great Wakering Rovers for me - cant belive there isn't an option for them, but the only team local that i could support. Doesnt matter that they are in the Ryman, they'll be my next side.

Not a bad choice, at least there is a choice of several local pubs to visit before kick off.

For me it would be southend rugby club. no cheating or diving just a good physical game

No one. Thanks to my club on the verge of dying and the England team performance I'm fast losing any passion for the "beautiful game" anyhow.

Also Groyney likes to harp on about Southend Manor why??? they have their own history a club needs to be born again from the ashes not just going and watching somebody else.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Where do I 'harp on about Southend Manor'? The occasional mention of the general football forum, where surprise surprise you talk about other football teams, and the odd reply to Silencer on here, who surprise surprise is a Southend Manor player.

A club does not have to be re-born when there is already a well run senior non league club in place. A club that own their ground, has a decent clubhouse, a thriving youth system, and a band of dedeicated volunteers, the vast majority Southend United supporters, who help out for the sheer love of the game. In my view it would be madness to pass up an opportunity not to get involved at a club like this, where rapid progression at a place full of decent people is a genuine possibility, to instead set up a different club, with all the difficulties and vagaries of getting it together.

But hey, TB, I know that is all lost on you, as you've shown elsewhere a genuine antipathy towards Southend Manor. Frankly, that is another reason for Southend United to survive, because the non-league would be ruined by an influx of boorish, childish loudmouths like you.

That's my opinion anyway.

Where do I 'harp on about Southend Manor'? The occasional mention of the general football forum, where surprise surprise you talk about other football teams, and the odd reply to Silencer on here, who surprise surprise is a Southend Manor player.

A club does not have to be re-born when there is already a well run senior non league club in place. A club that own their ground, has a decent clubhouse, a thriving youth system, and a band of dedeicated volunteers, the vast majority Southend United supporters, who help out for the sheer love of the game. In my view it would be madness to pass up an opportunity not to get involved at a club like this, where rapid progression at a place full of decent people is a genuine possibility, to instead set up a different club, with all the difficulties and vagaries of getting it together.

But hey, TB, I know that is all lost on you, as you've shown elsewhere a genuine antipathy towards Southend Manor. Frankly, that is another reason for Southend United to survive, because the non-league would be ruined by an influx of boorish, childish loudmouths like you.

That's my opinion anyway.

Touchy little sod aren't you! :p

Fact is mate that Southend Manor is not Southend United and never will be for me personally I think that a new club would have to be started rather then tag onto another no matter what state they are in. I respect you go watch Southend Manor and good luck to you but for me as I have said are no way viable to go and watch as a reincarnation of SUFC.

Its sad that you had to turn this conversational personal by calling me a childish loud mouth?

Pathetic mate as when I say you harp on about Southend Manor its only because your a follower and I have never said there is anything wrong in that.

I think I would give up pro football as I could never really feel anything for another club and maybe just take in some decent local games (amatuer) as and when the mood took me.

If Southend reformed, naturally I'd follow that incarnation (despite being an exile)...although not sure if I would have the same love, it's a little like losing a child and replacing them with a robot lookalike...you know it looks like your club, but something is missing and it doesn't quite feel right.

However if there was no new incarnation then I would probably become a bit of a footballing nomad. I just couldn't feel anything for any other club. That said, I couldn't live without some sort of footballing fix on a Saturday afternoon. Being good mates with Silencer I would watch a bit of Manor, Fulham is 30 minutes from me, so I would probably sit in the neutral end a few times, plus being an exile Staines Town are my most local side, add in one of my best mates is a Wolves fan, and I often travel with him if Southend aren't playing anyway, I think I would drift between those sides, along with England (as foolishly renewed my membership) but with a big big unfillable hole in my heart where Southend should be.

No one. Thanks to my club on the verge of dying and the England team performance I'm fast losing any passion for the "beautiful game" anyhow.

My sentment entirely.

I probably wouldn't support any particular team either, just go when / if I felt like it. I will continue watch / support my sons' team Bromfords Reunion - Sunday league football (proper grass roots).

I think we could wind up Col U by suddenly turning up mob handed and contributing to the lack of atmosphere at Cuckoo farm and support Colchester Shrimpers FC.
ColUShrimpers.jpg

Last edited:
I like this idea more than most of the others. We could establish our own little section, where we'd wear old Southend shirts and generally refuse to acknowledge that the team we was supporting was anything other than out own beloved Shrimpers. I wonder how long we'd get away with it for before there'd be some ground rule invented to prevent us from doing this.

In reality though I'd probably get myself a season ticket at Carrow Road (about the closest team to me that I could actually stomach), or give the whole thing a miss and visit various shopping malls every week... Carrow Road it is then!

if Southend do get wound up, perhaps the Shrimpers Trust (as they are owed £60,000) could demand the copyright to the Southend logo, and use of the name Southend United Football Club than rather get money back.

Like this idea a lot, hope it doesn't come to it but supporting a club with a different name and crest just wouldn't be the same.

Back