• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whose fault?

shrimpereeee

First XI
There was a rather noisy debate at half time in the South Upper over whether Flahavan or Wilson was at fault for their goal.

Personally, I thought Wilson should have made more of an effort to clear the ball. I think he may have been aware of Flahavan coming off his line and thouight he was going to collect the ball.

Any thoughts from a different angle in the ground?

Can't see how Flahavan could've come myself. We would've had a David James moment on our hands.

che was at fault. but i thought that abbot was a very good player. and took the chance well

Che looked like he should have got there to cut it out, but it was difficult to see from where I was sitting so I can't be too critical.

Looked like Che from where I was sitting. Sloppy goal to give away again. Che didn't do much wrong though and is certainly meriting his two year contract.

Personally thought it was no ones fault from route one football,Che being a right footed player playing in a left back role, was caught out as Abbott turned him in side, which will happen all the time if you are right footed playing on the left or vice versa, also credit due to Abbott it was a well placed strike and the angle was enough to slot pass Flavs, who had little chance,

I think if Freddy had scored the goal we would all be applauding a good goal, instead of trying to find a culprit for a slip up, which could happen to anyone.
If we look at the positives to come out of the game, then it far outweighs the negatives, especially with the small squad we have .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Aug. 21 2005,07:50)]...er...why was Wilson on his own?
Poor defending overall.
Yes, I made that comment at half-time. Why leave Wilson man for man (especially on on the stroke of half-time) with their best striker who is much taller and stronger. It was fairly easy for Abbot to out muscle Wilson.

On his own or not, had Che had not just ducked out the way of the ball, then Pavel wouldnt have scored, thats the bottom line.

Yes it was a mistake, and it proves at this level, if you make one mistake, you are more likely to get punished for it.

Che didnt play badly for the rest of the game, but to a certain extent, thats irrelevant, the damage had already been done.

Having said all of that, in the first twenty minutes, we should have put them out of sight, so if we had taken our chances then maybe this wouldnt be such a talking point

That was happening a lot during the game. In fact Barrett was often leaving Che having to try and get the ball off two players because he was so determined to be the free man. Surely in this case if someone is meant to be playing free man they have to pick up one of the attackers.
This happened on more then one occasion and i started to feel a bit sorry for Che.

Have to say I'm amazed at all the above but different opinions and all that...

From the moment the ball was played, it was clearly one that was going to come all the way through. Neither Che nor the player wrestling with him looked likely to win the ball. For me, the ball was coming through to the goalkeeper from the moment it passed the half-way line. I'd already shouted "That's yours Darryl, go on" at least three times before he decided to go out for it but it was too late.

I thought Darryl had a great game overall yesterday, but in my mind, he was DEFINITELY at fault for the goal. If he'd read it properly, he'd have been out there to collect it comfortably in the box as goalkeepers do regularly in every game.

In my eyes, that was one that Che had to deal with. Long ball downfield, keep your eye on it and get your head on it one way or another. I reckon he was being fouled but a lot of the time they just don't get given.

He really wasn't on his own either. Both him and Hunt (I think) were on the halfway line marking the two opposition players in case of a counter-attack. As we were attacking, I don't think this is unreasonable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Aug. 21 2005,13:20)]Have to say I'm amazed at all the above but different opinions and all that...

From the moment the ball was played, it was clearly one that was going to come all the way through. Neither Che nor the player wrestling with him looked likely to win the ball. For me, the ball was coming through to the goalkeeper from the moment it passed the half-way line. I'd already shouted "That's yours Darryl, go on" at least three times before he decided to go out for it but it was too late.

I thought Darryl had a great game overall yesterday, but in my mind, he was DEFINITELY at fault for the goal. If he'd read it properly, he'd have been out there to collect it comfortably in the box as goalkeepers do regularly in every game.
From what I remember of the goal it looked to me like Che actually "ducked out" because he imagined that Flahavan was going to collect it. It looked like he left it deliberately. He was clearly wrong as Flavs was stuck on his line, but his (Flav's)body language too seemed to suggest that he was in two minds whether to come or not. Maybe Che thought he saw him or thought he heard a shout. Either way I just think it was a ****-up.

Back