• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I enjoyed my day out, but only to see and experience the new Wembley theatre. I am reluctant to call it a football ground in the sense of the word because after years of bemoaning the old Wembley with its tiny seats and claustrophobic atmosphere where you became more than intimate with the complete stranger next to you, I now long for that personal experience and the special atmosphere it created. Perhaps it was my fault for picking the £48 pond seats as the lower tear seemed to be having a lot more fun than the rest of us up in the gods in our soft leather feel chairs with their arm rests and bags of leg room. I feel desperately sorry for the younger generation who had never experienced a cup final standing shoulder to shoulder on the terraces at wembley when it was impossible not to be quiet , even if it was only to say ... would you mind getting off my toe. OOh well ...that's progress I suppose as they say, but I can't help feeling we have lost something very special for ever.

I had a blinding day out....left Winchester at 8, Green Man by 10, a good laugh, seeing old mates, a couple of beers and thanking Paul Sturrock for getting us there...he doesn't look well.

The "beer shampoo / shower was a laugh until one dick threw a 3/4 full can of Fosters...not clever with kids around.

Wembley stadium at 12.30....it was hard to judge the noise levels (or lack of), as we seemed to have 8 different sets of supporters singing different songs??
The game....is history....personally; Staker and Moshni playing as midfielders with Lund and Reeves on the bench beggared belief and set out our stall for the day...

Oh well, at our current rate...another trip beckons in approx 106 years time !!!

I had a lot of problems "feeling the excitment" and even up to the point of walking up Wembley Way I was still struggling.
I had no expectations on the day but, I did enjoy "our moment". It was great to see so many famailiar and old faces. Everyone was being to civil to each other and some people even smiled.
In the end I had a fantastic day (despite some issues in the stadium) and took the time to absorb I had just watched my team play at Wembley. It has only taken me 40+ years to see that

Wembley was a doddle of a trip just remember those that travelled back from Cardiff and spent 8 hours on a train, heroes you are one and all.

I honestly Cant believe what i read on here from some southend fans, people moaning about the day/Game. We lost to a good footballing side, we were winners already. Just getting to the final and being able to Go Wembley with 30,000 southend fans must be a amazing experience, some couldnt make it for whatever reason and they would done anything they could to off been there, but still some people find something to moan about.

I am on jais wavelength...I think everything bad about our club caught up with me yesterday, the shoddy team selection being the main catalyst.

Great to see so many shrimpers taking over wembley and the match wasn't to bad, I just don't feel too interested at the moment. Can't make the last home games and I don't think the season ticket has paid off this year...I will see how brown gets on in the last games of the season then decide whether to get a season ticket.

Performance disappointing. Starting line up disappointing. That's the only down side for me. We created chances and I thought were the better team for large parts of the second half. The football that Crewe play has been virtually the same formula for as long as I can remember, possession and passing, very simple and very effective.

Plenty of plus points for me for the all day experience with my brother and old man who hadn't been for years. Great journey up. Great experience at Wetherspoons Kingsbury. Great walking up Wembley Way and seeing the new Stadium. Great to see one end filled which suggests to me that there is sleeping support that would come to a new stadium. So many more plus points which I'll treasure for a lifetime despite the result. If you'd told me as a six year old kid we would be at Wembley with over 30000 fans I'd have laughed my head off. It was a 24 hour diversion from all the problems we have had as a club for far too long.

In hindsight, this has the wrong title. I think my massive hangover got the better of me yesterday. I did enjoy my day at Wembley, it was brilliant to see so many people coming out and supporting the Blues, and seeing them play at the national stadium was something I'll never forget.

Just disillusioned with a lot of stuff about the club at the moment.

To be honest my day was a disappointment, maybe my expectations were too high. My disappointment wasn't the performance on the pitch (and If I blame anayone it is Brown not the players) but the general atmosphere.
Listening to others and reading their stories I feel like I was permanently in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Arrive at Wickford for the 8.40 train, platform is totally rammed, more so that a weekday- excellent I think, try to get a 'blue army ' chant going--- struck with silence.
Arrive at Liverpool street - 'thousands of us there - try the same thing , silence , a few others are trying as well but in there are less than a couple of dozen in total singing.
Decide not to go to Green man as word is it is rammed already , so we guess it will be nightmare and we wont get near the bar (turns out to be totally wrong form posts on here)
Get to Globe and MacDonald’s for breakfast, no queue in MacDonald’s (there was 30 seconds later so result) , and although the pub is rammed they are serving pretty good. Have a few drinks , atmosphere good- not great good. Friend shows me the line up he has received from one of the players---- oh dear this is not what we hoped for/expected
Get to Wembley , brilliant seeing thousands and thousands of SUFC fans, but again very little singing, in fact the Crew mob are making more noise than us. Can't explain why but just not as excited as I hoped to be
Into the stadium, find friends , find out seats are dead centre behind goal as we hoped---- result. Everyone is standing, things are getting better , apprehensive , hoping again
Kick off- we don’t kick the ball for 4 minutes , a free kick screwed up and bang a wonder goal 1-0 down. We start singing , but its just not happening in the stands , lots of small groups of a handfuls singing Finally we score and for a few seconds it goes mental , and in that moment I am thinking – this is what we have been waiting for , this will galvanize the crowd , the atmosphere is going to change right now , this is what I came for- we can do this , we can beat them , the crowd will be on side now , we are all in it together , even if we don’t win we are going to go home proud that we did everything we could to spur on the team, this is our (the supporters- not the team ) moment --------------------and of course it didn’t happen.

Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe I should have made more effort to take in all the positives , to stand back and tell my self and my son and our friends ‘this is it- we are at Wembley’. Of course I am still happy I went , but I enjoyed the Orient games more . For me the reality just didn’t live up to the expectations- hopefully in the coming days I will reflect and change my mind a little

Last edited:
Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe I should have made more effort to take in all the positives , to stand back and tell my self and my son and our friends ‘this is it- we are at Wembley’. Of course I am still happy I went , but I enjoyed the Orient games more . For me the reality just didn’t live up to the expectations- hopefully in the coming days I will reflect and change my mind a little

I feel the same really, I think I had built it up so much in my mind it was never going to be as good as I was hoping it would be.

That's the problem with expectations. Strange atmosphere on the day and I felt from the start that we were going to play on the back foot which didn't help my mood.

Wembley was a doddle of a trip just remember those that travelled back from Cardiff and spent 8 hours on a train, heroes you are one and all.

I was on that train :smile: and the tosh of a service Greater Anglia provided on Sunday, I was worried I was going to be spending 8 hours at Liverpool Street!!!

Anyway I enjoyed the day, seeing that many Southend fans put a lump in my throat. Yes, the football wasn't great (though it was better than some people are suggesting) but I wasn't expecting it to be, even our best players (Hurst, Clohessy etc) have been rubbish recently.

And if we didn't have such poor officials (are there any decent ones left at our level!!) then we would have at least had a penalty to cheer about - still don't think we would have won, but at least it may have got the players and the crowd going a bit more, as conceding that early goal in the second half, sort of ended the contest.

bugger all this moaning. I expected to lose. I thought 2-0 would have been OK. 2-1 even better. We'd not been playing well, had a lot of injuries and players hitting poor form at the wrong time. Crewe are a decent side on a reasonable run. I had a great, great day. If we had won it would have been unbelievable. Stop moaning. It was a great day.

Totally agree-The way I look at it-yes of course it would have been nice to win-but the JPT isn't entry into Europe.Enjoyed the day as much as the LDV's in the Millenium.Days like these don't come along that many times for us so I enjoy the occasions to the full.Great day out :-)

I am on jais wavelength...I think everything bad about our club caught up with me yesterday, the shoddy team selection being the main catalyst

Pretty much how I feel at the moment, cannot see what the sacking achieved and Straker my god over the years I've seen some poop in an SUFC shirt but that man really takes the ****.

The players needed to get the crowd going and fired up, but as previously said, we couldn't get near the ball for the first four minutes then suddenly we were chasing the game with eight out field deffenders to do the asking. The first pen appeal was the turning point. Had the ref not bottled it and we had scored I'm sure we would have raised the roof off and with the noise it would have generated, lifted the players in turn to go on and win it. Wasn't to be. The sooner we have the forth offical looking at replays and advising the man in the middle of things he's missed the better.

southend at wembley

To be honest my day was a disappointment, maybe my expectations were too high. My disappointment wasn't the performance on the pitch (and If I blame anayone it is Brown not the players) but the general atmosphere.
Listening to others and reading their stories I feel like I was permanently in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Arrive at Wickford for the 8.40 train, platform is totally rammed, more so that a weekday- excellent I think, try to get a 'blue army ' chant going--- struck with silence.
Arrive at Liverpool street - 'thousands of us there - try the same thing , silence , a few others are trying as well but in there are less than a couple of dozen in total singing.
Decide not to go to Green man as word is it is rammed already , so we guess it will be nightmare and we wont get near the bar (turns out to be totally wrong form posts on here)
Get to Globe and MacDonald’s for breakfast, no queue in MacDonald’s (there was 30 seconds later so result) , and although the pub is rammed they are serving pretty good. Have a few drinks , atmosphere good- not great good. Friend shows me the line up he has received from one of the players---- oh dear this is not what we hoped for/expected
Get to Wembley , brilliant seeing thousands and thousands of SUFC fans, but again very little singing, in fact the Crew mob are making more noise than us. Can't explain why but just not as excited as I hoped to be
Into the stadium, find friends , find out seats are dead centre behind goal as we hoped---- result. Everyone is standing, things are getting better , apprehensive , hoping again
Kick off- we don’t kick the ball for 4 minutes , a free kick screwed up and bang a wonder goal 1-0 down. We start singing , but its just not happening in the stands , lots of small groups of a handfuls singing Finally we score and for a few seconds it goes mental , and in that moment I am thinking – this is what we have been waiting for , this will galvanize the crowd , the atmosphere is going to change right now , this is what I came for- we can do this , we can beat them , the crowd will be on side now , we are all in it together , even if we don’t win we are going to go home proud that we did everything we could to spur on the team, this is our (the supporters- not the team ) moment --------------------and of course it didn’t happen.

my son and i are season ticket holders and have done nearly 6000 miles travel to away games this season and he is very ill and we had sunday all sorted but could not go ! so whatever happened on sunday those that went i hope you do change your mind because we did not have any experience other than dissapointment .

In hindsight, this has the wrong title. I think my massive hangover got the better of me yesterday. I did enjoy my day at Wembley, it was brilliant to see so many people coming out and supporting the Blues, and seeing them play at the national stadium was something I'll never forget.

Just disillusioned with a lot of stuff about the club at the moment.

So we had one thread saying the team were gutless, and another thread to say they didnt enjoy it, both posters have now retracted their comments.

Think people need to count to 10 before posting :smile:

my son and i are season ticket holders and have done nearly 6000 miles travel to away games this season and he is very ill and we had sunday all sorted but could not go ! so whatever happened on sunday those that went i hope you do change your mind because we did not have any experience other than dissapointment .

What a sickener. (no pun intended) and hope he feels better.

Think that puts peoples "disappointments" into perspective.

Ill always remember going to Wembley, I wont care in 20 years how Straker played.

very sorry to hear that , I hope things improve for your son.

Back