• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

turkishm

Director
Why is the word. Why is Knightly not performing, like we thought, why is Wright not the player he was with Gills, why is Ranger not the Prem player we thought we were getting, why is Wordsworth injured for half a season, why do we sign players that we know are injured, and have not played many games the season before we sign them, why do we have a team on paper, that looks the best in the div, but struggles to put a pass together. And yet, we are 9th, i think that says more about the league we are in than about how good we are.

Why do we start pointless threads moaning about the same things that are said on every other thread.

By the way 9th is punching above our weight, why can't people accept that.

I don’t think 9th is punching above our weight at all. It’s about right for where we are as a club right now. We’ve flirted with the playoffs in both seasons back in League One so far and if , and it’s a big if right now, we can put a run together we will again this year.

But the best thing that could happen this season is to get on site with the new stadium. Until we’re playing there we won’t progress beyond where we are League wise now.

Why is the word. Why is Knightly not performing, like we thought, why is Wright not the player he was with Gills, why is Ranger not the Prem player we thought we were getting, why is Wordsworth injured for half a season, why do we sign players that we know are injured, and have not played many games the season before we sign them, why do we have a team on paper, that looks the best in the div, but struggles to put a pass together. And yet, we are 9th, i think that says more about the league we are in than about how good we are.

And so in order -

1) Kightly is injured
2) Wright probably is the player he was with Gillingham which is why he is with us and not someone like Man Utd
3) Did anyone actually think Ranger was a Prem player? He has some Prem qualities, but he was playing - or rather not playing - for Blackpool
4) Wordsworth has a long history of injuries which is why we can afford him. If he was injury free he would be playing at a much higher level
5) We sign who we can afford and that means either a)players at the end of their careers, b) players who are starting out and who MAY make it, or c) damaged goods
6) We have a great team on paper but play on grass

We are a small club. This isn't Football Manager. This is REAL and on our crowds with our budget we get what we can.

There's nothing at all that we can do about it except get behind the team and try and cheer them up the league. Too many however are more interested in booing our own players - because that helps, doesn't it - and calling for the managers head because there are people lining up to take us up into the Championship that would absolutely LOVE to be the manager of Southend United, would be much cheaper, who aren't orange and who don't get distracted from their daily chore job of managing a football team by making media appearances...

I just can't remember their names, but I'm sure someone will, there's loads of them! Lining up they are, outside Ron's office as we speak!

:facepalm:

[video=youtube;VBJX31JxRMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBJX31JxRMQ[/video]

Why do we start pointless threads moaning about the same things that are said on every other thread.

By the way 9th is punching above our weight, why can't people accept that.
Why, because you never answer the question, all you do is to decry other people posts that you see as having no relevance, according to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are a decent league 1 side in terms of playing staff and crowds etc.

We have gambled on players in the twilight of their careers as we couldn't have signed them at the peak of their careers. Some have worked to a certain degree. Ferdinand last year. Turner maybe this year. Cox and fortune. Some don't. Kightly, Kiernan etc. Some have other issues like Ranger. A player who had a great career ahead of him and now his career is a mixbag of disasters. It's a gamble that is not currently paying high but has a degree of success.

What has annoyed me far more is the limited style of play we have each week. Set up not to lose, rather than win. I'm guessing some of the roots hall faithful feel the same given our dwindling support.

What was Wright like at Gillingham? Presumably he can't have been their star player otherwise he would have been offered a new contract, we signed him to give us more options in midfield he wasn't signed as a marquee signing.

Claiming we were expecting Ranger to be Prem quality is nonsense, since leaving Newcastle he's been at several league clubs and failed to set the world alight, we all knew he was a massive gamble that (at least before his prison sentence) seemed to be going better than most of us expected. By all means question why we signed him in the first place but let's not rewrite the story.

Wordsworth is injury prone but he's also far more creative than anyone else in the squad, I can't blame Brown for wanting him, the same goes for Turner who has looked quality since coming back. If these players weren't injury prone they wouldn't be with us.

Leonard (and maybe Oxley in this form) aside our team does not look anywhere near the best on paper, there are players in this league that clubs have spent 6 figure fees for, we on the other hand are signing aging free agents. If anything looking at the squad I'd say we're punching above our weight.

Kightly I agree has been disappointing, he's clearly talented but seems to be overthinking things.

The main reason we have slightly underwhelmed this season is coz we can't get a steady defence on the pitch every game. Everything else flows from that.

I'm guessing some of the roots hall faithful feel the same given our dwindling support.

How much has our support dwindled? I thought someone posted on here the other day that crowds are pretty much the same as this time last year.

How much has our support dwindled? I thought someone posted on here the other day that crowds are pretty much the same as this time last year.

Yeah that was me. It hasn't dwindled, it has gone up.

It was Tommy that made that "dwindling support" statement last time also.

See post #63

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?94785-Southend-United-v-Oldham-Athletic/page5

So far, our crowds at Roots Hall have increased on last season by an extra 2,102 fans (210 fans per match).

Back