• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WIFI connection problem

ian_the_girth

President
evening all, can anyone help me with this ?

i am currently with sky broadband & getting pi**ed off

i can connect to the net using a cable direct from the router to my laptop. i can then browse the net o.k.

if i take out the cable, i can locate my router & connect to it fine, signals pretty pants but its connected.
however, i cannot browse any website at all.

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong & how i could fix this ?

many thanks,

ian "the girth"

How is the signal pants if you just unplug the cable?

Is it any better if you try closer to the router and thus get a better signal.

I must confess, once I have connected to the router via wireless and it shows also that the router is connected to the internet I have not had a problem.

I have tho had problems whereby I can talk to the router but the router isnt on the internet via my ISP. A disable/enable of my wireless card or reboot of the router usually sorts that out tho.

Try to repair the connection via Windows?

WEP key?

Connection issues: Try Internet Options - LAN Settings - Make sure there's a tick in Automatically Detect Settings and the other boxes are blank.

Also make sure there's no dial up selected on the options.

How is the signal pants if you just unplug the cable?

Is it any better if you try closer to the router and thus get a better signal.

I must confess, once I have connected to the router via wireless and it shows also that the router is connected to the internet I have not had a problem.

I have tho had problems whereby I can talk to the router but the router isnt on the internet via my ISP. A disable/enable of my wireless card or reboot of the router usually sorts that out tho.

i meant the wifi signal is pants generally, but forget that. then net works o.k. when i use a cable direct from the router to my laptop (i.e. now or i couldnt be on here)
but if i take the cable out of the router & from my laptop, i search using wifi for my router...i find it...connect to it o.k.
but from there i can view any webpages.
i keep getting "this page cannot be displayed" etc...

it doesnt make alot of sense to me, its as if theres an option in my wireless connection i need to tick ?

i am yet to switch off the router & re-set it.
i have disable & re-enabled by wireless connection on my laptop though

evening all, can anyone help me with this ?

i am currently with sky broadband & getting pi**ed off

i can connect to the net using a cable direct from the router to my laptop. i can then browse the net o.k.

if i take out the cable, i can locate my router & connect to it fine, signals pretty pants but its connected.
however, i cannot browse any website at all.

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong & how i could fix this ?

many thanks,

ian "the girth"

Having the same problem, I work in I.T and can't get the thing to work..Sky is pants!!

I open the connections, shows I have a strong signal thru connectivity doctor, but when I put in the security password, it never finds it.

Done all the tricks, released IP etc etc, rebooted router, all the usual, just does not wanna work.
These are my tips, not worked for me, but may for you.

Try to repair the connection via Windows?

WEP key?

Connection issues: Try Internet Options - LAN Settings - Make sure there's a tick in Automatically Detect Settings and the other boxes are blank.

Also make sure there's no dial up selected on the options.

done this, it was already as you suggested.
would i need to have to the same in my wireless settings ?

thanks for helping :D

Also I'd check (but I'm sure you have) that the Enable Wireless option is selected on the router options?

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here :)

Having the same problem, I work in I.T and can't get the thing to work..Sky is pants!!

I open the connections, shows I have a strong signal thru connectivity doctor, but when I put in the security password, it never finds it.

Done all the tricks, released IP etc etc, rebooted router, all the usual, just does not wanna work.
These are my tips, not worked for me, but may for you.

if you go into wireless internet connections
scroll down to find internet protocol (TCP/IP)
highlight it
click properties (new window opens)

now should i have ticked "obtain an ip address automaticaly"
or "use the following ip address" (no info in the boxes)

Its normally recommened you have at least a 5 channel distance between any other wifi systems around your house (so if some one uses 6 you use 11 etc).

Also they literally may have "stronger" signal output then you .

Its normally recommened you have at least a 5 channel distance between any other wifi systems around your house (so if some one uses 6 you use 11 etc).

Also they literally may have "stronger" signal output then you .

I was going to say the same thing! I had loads of problems with my P.C and router talking to eachother, dropping off and stuff, but talked to someone who had the same router and the problem was that the laptop was to close and when he moved the router down stairs it was fine. Hey presto, I did the same and never had a problem since!

Ours too is positionede in such a way that proximity will never be an issue. Luck more than judgement in our case though,

if you go into wireless internet connections
scroll down to find internet protocol (TCP/IP)
highlight it
click properties (new window opens)

now should i have ticked "obtain an ip address automaticaly"
or "use the following ip address" (no info in the boxes)

"obtain an ip address automaticaly" is the one for you... Select it and keep hitting ok, ok,ok.

then start->run and enter CMD.EXE which opens a new window.

then type IPconfig and press enter. hopefully you should see that you have an IP address, etc, etc

then type ping www.bbc.co.uk and press enter. It should return an IP number
I get 212.58.253.73

"obtain an ip address automaticaly" is the one for you... Select it and keep hitting ok, ok,ok.

then start->run and enter CMD.EXE which opens a new window.

then type IPconfig and press enter. hopefully you should see that you have an IP address, etc, etc

then type ping www.bbc.co.uk and press enter. It should return an IP number
I get 212.58.253.73

the ethernet connection is working fine, i get an i address
but the WIFI one just shows the IP address as 0.0.0.0. & the same for subnet mask ?

the ethernet connection is working fine, i get an i address
but the WIFI one just shows the IP address as 0.0.0.0. & the same for subnet mask ?

Which means that either the WIFI isn't connecting to the router or the router is not distributing IP addresses . I'd go for the former as I suspect your ethernet connection is setup of DHCP.

Are you 100% sure you've entered the WEP/WPA keys correctly (assuming that the router is using them ?

Another option:-
1. plug the ethernet back in and do another IP config. note down the IP, Subnet Mash, gateway, DNS
2. change the setting on the WIFI to match the ethernet setting with exception of the IP (change the last set of digits to 5 more than the current number, so if ethernet equals 192.168.1.44, then wifi is 192.168.1.49)

Hopefully something will work...

Or download and install Netstumbler and seek an open WIFI network to prove WIFI actually works on the laptop

Back